Fin-Nor and OTI Rods

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by TS18997, Nov 11, 2009.

1. TS18997

TS18997 Senior Member

At the risk of beating dead horse, I wanted to throw my $.02 without hijacking another thread. I tested my Fin-Nor 9500 on a OTI 7'6" popping rod. While a lot of people say it fits this rod and a G3, I need to clarify "fit". Yes, you can get size 22 seat to get a grip on the 9500's foot, but just barely. I think at most it grabs 1/4 inch on the front and back. This is barely half of what I get on a rod that does say it fits it. You might say that is enough to hold it but in a heavy fight, I would not want that little a margin for error. What concerned me more was the latteral movement the reel had. Given that the reel foot is larger, the way it sits on a smaller seat allows the curve of the foot too much play and the reel has serious movement side-to-side.

I was planning on upgrading the rod first and reel later but this has changed my plans. May just have to get them both at the same time... :D

2. north coast

north coast Senior Member

Really, That's odd Because my 95 fits in my 600g G3 just fine. I wonder if Maybe OTI used a different seat on the newer G3 than the 7"6". or maybe Fin nor Has different widths on the reel foot, for different years? Something is going on. I didn't use the 95 on that rod Because I got a stella at a great price,But I wouldn't have hesitated to. it fit just fine.

3. d-a

d-a Senior Member

At the risk of beating dead horse, I wanted to throw my $.02 without hijacking another thread. I tested my Fin-Nor 9500 on a OTI 7'6" popping rod. While a lot of people say it fits this rod and a G3, I need to clarify "fit". Yes, you can get size 22 seat to get a grip on the 9500's foot, but just barely. I think at most it grabs 1/4 inch on the front and back. This is barely half of what I get on a rod that does say it fits it. You might say that is enough to hold it but in a heavy fight, I would not want that little a margin for error. What concerned me more was the latteral movement the reel had. Given that the reel foot is larger, the way it sits on a smaller seat allows the curve of the foot too much play and the reel has serious movement side-to-side.

I was planning on upgrading the rod first and reel later but this has changed my plans. May just have to get them both at the same time... :D

Look to see what size reel seat you have, It should be in the grove on the top of the handle. I thought most OTI's came with 22's but one may have slipped thru. While not a perfect fit, the 22's are snug and once you use them a couple times the hoods on the reel seat will start to accommodate the larger reel foot better.

d-a

4. TS18997

TS18997 Senior Member

Its not just the hood fit d-a. I'll give you that, it will probably start to accommodate the foot. I almost said, "hey it fits", but when I felt the side to side play, I said no way. I agree that there seems to be some slight differences in what reel seat/size is on which rod but overall, I'm not betting on it. Appeciate all the feedback.

5. d-a

d-a Senior Member

Its not just the hood fit d-a. I'll give you that, it will probably start to accommodate the foot. I almost said, "hey it fits", but when I felt the side to side play, I said no way. I agree that there seems to be some slight differences in what reel seat/size is on which rod but overall, I'm not betting on it. Appeciate all the feedback.

I'm almost certain all OTI rods feature a Fuji 22 reel seat. Unless custom built.

d-a

6. d-a

d-a Senior Member

The reel foot is tapered and because of that it acts like a wedge and will stretch the plastic insert and hood to create a snug fit.

d-a

7. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

It is not OTI rod problem, but Fin Nor's reel foot problem. :)
    I think Fin Nor's reel foot doesn't fit to JM rods too.