filet knife

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by tass, Aug 11, 2009.

1. tass

tass Member

Guys I am in need of a good filet knife. I need one that maintains its edge and is durable. I would prefer smooth edge blade not serrated.

2. The Great PF

The Great PF Senior Member

There are lots of choices out there, and I own some good ones. My favorite is the Dexter-Russell Model 133-9. It has a very long, ultra thin blade. It keeps its edge, too. Smooth edge.

3. nxtbgctch

nxtbgctch Senior Member

Dexter-Russell's are kinda like a sore pecker.........................they're hard to beat.

4. Albiemanmike

Albiemanmike Senior Member

Dexter Russell is all I use and all the pros use. High carbon steel blade that is easy to sharpen and is very durable plus they won't break the bank.

Dexter-Russell, Inc.

5. luna sea II

luna sea II Banned

Dexter Russell all the way.

6. txcards

txcards Senior Member

I use the rapala soft grip 9" blade 5" handle. It costs about $25 and comes with a sharpener. Can't beat it

7. hamptonsurf

hamptonsurf Senior Member

Forschner makes a great knife as well. About same quality as a dexter, I'd say a little better.

8. SteelingHeads

SteelingHeads Senior Member

Dexter-Russell is where its at! No matter what blade shape you prefer they have a model to suit you.

9. The Great PF

The Great PF Senior Member

BTW, Dexter really has two companies: Russell and International. The International knives are about 35% cheaper than the Russell knives, and they look the same. But they're not! The International line is made overseas, China, I think, but they are not of the same quality. Don't buy a Dexter International believing that you're getting a great deal.

10. cabosandinh

cabosandinh Moderator

11. peterk814

peterk814 Senior Member

Dependingo on the fish, but always dexter russell. I buy a box every two years or so.

1376- i use this knife 90% of the time filleting anything from seabass, blackfish, tuna, etc, any round fish.

1378- Skinning fish

S133-8- for filleting and skinning fluke, or other flatfish.

12. gmack

gmack Senior Member

I must have some Dexter Internations. I have what I thought were Dexter's and they are terrible!

13. tass

tass Member

Thx guys good info as always

14. Duke

Duke Member

Here's my custom filet knives made by Tony Baker Knives. I'm actually getting a matching sheath made right now for my pliers (I'll post some pictures soon). The blade is S30V with a G10 handle.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

I just keep a bunch sharp and ready for action. I dump them on my tailgate and go for it.

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      264.2 KB
      Views:
  16. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

Forschner, this is what I see in butcher shops and professional fish cleaners here.

17. Bret

Bret Senior Member

I just keep a bunch sharp and ready for action. I dump them on my tailgate and go for it.

Mrbill, I think you have enough knives for the time being.. great collection.

I am pretty happy with my forschners.. they seem to hold up pretty well as long as you are not hacking with it...

18. Jason4606

Jason4606 Tuna Club member

I bought a set of 3 Dexter Internationals from BPS that came with a case. They are actually made in Japan and seem to be good quality. But I have no idea how they'll hold an edge... They were a pretty good deal. But I don't really care if they won't standup.

I also got a wider 8" American Angler knife from Academy. (made by Douglas Quikcut) Says that it's German Steel, whatever that's worth. Seems to be a decent blade too. Looks like Mr. Bill has several of the American Anglers too...

I've always had very good luck with both Japanese (Seki) and German (Solingen) steel and that's really the only reason I went cheap and decided to try both of these... But I do realize these are big countries and these may just be marketed to sell, and not high quality.;)

So should I keep and use these or return while still new and try again?

19. cabosandinh

cabosandinh Moderator

So should I keep and use these or return while still new and try again?

you should keep your higher quality steel and return the
    cheap steel

a good steel blade can cut through bones and remain
    sharp for a much longer time

a good 'extreme' example is comparison between a
    High Speed Steel router bit vs. Carbide router bit

the first one will burn up after about 4-6 cuttings through
    3/4" MDF, the latter will last 20-40 times longer