360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi ALL,

I have not been to any of the party boats for tuna in North America (only Striper, Blackfish, blackseabass etc) so not sure how it’s suitable/not suitable.

I have heard some say fighting belt on party boats are not useful cos the railing is too high. When I fish Asia, their boats have lower railing comparing to Helen H, Gambler….. boats. So fishing belt seem to work good. I am 5’11”, will the railing be too high for these party boats?

One of the Taiwan boat
Water Watercraft Boat Light Wheel

·
Retired Member
5,052 Posts
That is a nice fishing friendly rail. The Helen H has a much higher rail and with no cutouts or openings. The reason a fighting belt doesn’t work best on boats will high rails, is the plate is worn low. With a low plate and high rails your rod will not be able to go low enough for a good pump and will be always high sticking. This is the best pic I have showing the Helen H rail.
Sky Water Boat Cloud Outdoor recreation

·
32 Posts
I find belts awkward on the party boats in Florida. I prefer rods set up for resting the forward grip on the rail (rail rods). Forward grip on the rail,butt cap in your armpit and all you have to do is wind. Not very sporting but after the 4th or 5th big fish in a row in the Florida heat and humidity I don't care. On party boats getting the fish to the rail as soon as possible is the only goal. Rail rods on a spiral wrapped rod give me a edge over people who aren't getting the fish to the boat fast enough. The added benefit is I don't get tired as easily and can fish at peak performance longer.
Joe

·
Super Moderator
6,261 Posts
Texas party boats are about the same as far as rail height, and I agree about plates or belt gimbals forcing the high stick, which sucks even more because most southern boats have a partial canopy over all fishing areas except the bow.
30 degree bent butt conventional rods are GREAT in this situation, though IMO.
For casting/popping, I use the largest size CUSH-IT, which I can clip onto my fishing belt and use when necessary. This also is problematic if you have a turks-head butt cap, like most high end popping rods, because the Cush-It tapers to the bottom, not allowing the rod to sit where it should. I solved that issue by replacing butt caps with tapered gimbals to fish either the Cush-It or the plate.
Cush-It only costs about $20 bucks, too!
Hope this helps and enjoy your trip wherever you go!

·
Retired Member
5,052 Posts
Dang, Benny that's a YUUUGE flounder!!!
guess I need to come up there 1 summer.
Haha! Yes! Nantucket Shoals was the place! Not many boats can get there and even less knew about it. But once the few that went came back sporting their catch then everyone went to venture out. Like always it’s being fished out of the real big boys. At times we had flounder aka fluke in the 15# range. The land of heavy weights and big baits.

Benny

1 - 6 of 6 Posts