Fighting Belt Position

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by ksong, Oct 12, 2008.

1. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Whenever I see Japanese jigging/popping video, I are using fighting belt way high even fighting big fish. It looks their fighting position akward as they use long butt.
    I have a bad back and I can not fight big tuna more than 15 minutes wih such a position.
    Apparently many guys take it as granted and use them wihout any complaint. :) Do I miss something ?
    They use fighting belts for two purposes : for jigging/popping and for fighting fish. I think the lower position of fighting belt is easier for jigging/popping too.
    When I saw Jigging Master's fighting belt, I was shocked as it was the first fighting belt I've ever seen for Japanese jigging/popping which has drop down belt.
    How do you guys think ? Is there any benefit to use fighting belts high ?

Bret fighting a nice bluefin on JM fighting belt. It looks more natural and comfortable.
    [​IMG]

2. ToneyC

ToneyC Senior Member

I use my belt up high, and I never have a problem. It's comfortable for me that way. I guess it's more of an individual preference.

I was going to buy an adjustable belt before my next trip and experiment with different heights just to see if there was any advantage to using a lower position.

3. gman

gman Senior Member

Kil I wear my fisherman flat harness lower like that as well, a more natural stand up fighting position, the lower the belt the less pressure on the back

4. d-a

d-a Senior Member

Kil I wear my fisherman flat harness lower like that as well, a more natural stand up fighting position, the lower the belt the less pressure on the back

The problem I see is getting a good compromise as to whats comfortable and functionable. Most will wear the belt for the entire fishing trip and it wears better high but when the fish is on the line the belt needs to be lower for maximum carnage.

d-a

5. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

I can attest to it.
    I used Smitty Spyder Harness when I fought a cow for long on the long range trip and it didn't hurt my bad back at all.

6. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

The problem I see is getting a good compromise as to whats comfortable and functionable. Most will wear the belt for the entire fishing trip and it wears better high but when the fish is on the line the belt needs to be lower for maximum carnage.

d-a
    Doug, you made a good point. I totally agree with you.

7. d-a

d-a Senior Member

Doug, you made a good point. I totally agree with you.

I like the design of the JM belt. It has the cross bolt low enough to take pressure off your back, while still wearing the belt high enough to walk around and fish while wearing it.

d-a

8. ty2philly

ty2philly Senior Member

Kil,

Thanks for bring up this topic. I am in the market for a new fighting belt.
    I currently have the Braid Bucket Belt and Plate. I want something more light weight and not so bulky yet strong.

Ty

9. Deep_Sea_Gull

Deep_Sea_Gull Lifetime Supporting Members

I love my Smitty's XL long range plate and harness.

I wear the plate about mid thigh. The harness fits across my buttocks very well. I can use this set up with my long butted, spinner rods.

I can take the plate off and leave it close by in case it is needed for a large fish.

10. Argo

Argo Senior Member

I have smittys as well and I like it low, mid thigh, maybe a little lower if I have a longer butt. I feel no pressure on my back, only on my legs and my reeling forearm. I really dislike high riding belts, harnesses unless it is a short fight with a smaller fish..... if it is big enough to require a harness it will be worn low.... at least by me.

11. mcgolfer

mcgolfer Guest

i use a smitty belt and plate worn low when fighting larger fish over 100lbs. i usually leave my plate off and wear only my harness until i determine that i might need the plate. i also have a rod huki either on the rod as i fish or in my pocket so if i get a decent fish i can quickly put on the huki and get good pressure on my fish. when i have a good idea on the size of the fish or the severity of the fight i make the call for my plate if i need it....rick

12. Fishhead56

Fishhead56 Senior Member

d-a
    I agree, Trolling on a sportfisher who wears a harness all day, or a party boat
    jig, chunk, popping trip.?
    I guess if doing a NC AJ jig deal and dropping to structure get rigged up at each stop.

although not the best... For normal party boat jigging, chunking and popping I would have a small gimble plate pushed to the hip. Once hit with a bigger fish, push it around... To the front..
    Even on 4 man crew sportfisher thats all I want for jigging\popping.

I prefer squat and wind with wich ever arm on the rod kept straight.
    under arm cranking with fish on I (have not learned \ don't do)

I would like a plate like the one Bret has but would not get in the
    way when I was not hooked up.

Hookie in the pocket sounds like a deal, until a big fish gets on then
    call for a plate and harness rig.

Will one hookie fit several dia butts?.

To answer the question. with a question

Yes the lower the better, but can it be worn for 8 hours at a time?

"Game Getter Belts " I think is the name it is a quick wrap around but I don't
    think it would ride mid thigh.
    Shoot I don't know...Lets fish and try more often
    K2

13. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

Will one hukie fit several dia butts?. K2

There are different size rod huki's. I keep three different sizes. Each size fits different size gimbal diameters. They are very convenient, pivot well, comfortable, not hot, and take up little space. I don't understand why many people don't use them.:confused:

If you use the correct size, they will stay on the end of the gimbal without falling off. I've used rod huki's on fish up to 150#s. :)

I really don't like using a harness/belt/plate combination. It has to be a very large fish (marlin or anything very very large) for me to strap up. It does get very difficult to hold an 80W for over 45 minutes without using the lug strap.
    I'll start out without the straps and if in trouble, I won't hesitate to strap in for the duration of the battle. Knee pads are also very helpful to keep in your harness bag. Knees pinned against the side of the gunnel or transom is very painful when using very heavy drag pressure. I use the Black Magic belt/harness for stand-up fishing with bruisers, and have only had to use it a few times since I bought it a couple of years ago.

If inshore fishing, I don't even bother with any belt. Snapper, ling, kingfish, dolphin, etc. are very easy to bring in by keeping the rod butt under your arm pit. If you find yourself in a battle you didn't expect and you don't have a belt on board, just reach for a towel or spare clothing to wrap around the gimbal.

If night fishing for tuna, I think it's best to keep a belt on at all times. All my rods have aluminum gimbals. I like gimbals because they keep the rod square in the rod holder while traveling from one fishing spot to another. There are some nice comfortable day size belt/plates on the market. Belt plates are a personal thing. It all depends on your body size. I prefer to wear it a little low, but some just don't ride well.:mad:

Here's a pic of the rod huki. Even Kil uses one!!!

For more pics of the huki go to: look at post #14
    http://www.360tuna.com/forum/f67/jigging-rods-17-load-732/index2.html

Attached Files:

14. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

The lower the belt, the better for me. If you were to wear the Powerplay belt around all day/night, it would be annoying and cumbersome. The JM belt is very light and not bulky at all. Since it is a belt + plate, it also doesn't slip like normal belts.

this is another shot from friday.....with this belt i could bend my knees and fight the fish properly...

View attachment 4134

Attached Files:

15. rtran

rtran Senior Member

I likes that, I likes that alooot.

16. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

This video shows how I fight a tuna without a fighting belt.
    I developed my own technique to fight a big fish without a fighting belt.
    The tuna I fought should be at least 110 - 120 lbs, but I lost it just under the boat as Gamatatsu Siwash &/0 hook got opened.

YouTube - Cape cod bluefin Tuna Jigging

17. d-a

d-a Senior Member

This video shows how I fight a tuna without a fighting belt.
    I developed my own technique to fight a big fish without a fighting belt.
    The tuna I fought should be at least 110 - 120 lbs, but I lost it just under the boat as Gamatatsu Siwash &/0 hook got opened.

YouTube - Cape cod bluefin Tuna Jigging

I can see why you have a bad back

d-a

18. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

I can see why you have a bad back

d-a
    It is my kind of excersize for my bad back. :)

19. miles

miles Senior Member

Hiya

The lower your gimbal belt is, the lower the pivot point on the angler is, allowing an angler more leverage over the fish.

There was an article in one of the salt water fishing magazines, by Dennis Braid (if i recall correctly). I can't seem to find it, as it was quite a while ago. Here are some links worth looking at: Braid Products

Another VERY good article is: Sport Fishing - Power Play
    Pay particular atention to the photo's on the second page!!

Basically, with a proper harness set-up, the angler can sustain higher drag settings for longer periods, which means quicker/shorter fights on large fish.

Although these articles are written for sportfisherman using Tiagra/Penn 50 's, the theory is still the same.

My wife suffers from a poor back and using a Black magic Harness, with a 50W Tiagra, she's been able to pull 7 consecutive YF's in the 100-180lb class with-out hurting her back. With the complete harness, the strain is taken off your back and transferred to your upper thighs. It also allows you to now utilize your whole body when pulling a fish and not just your arms.

Attached Files:

20. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

My wife suffers from a poor back and using a Black magic Harness, with a 50W Tiagra, she's been able to pull 7 consecutive YF's in the 100-180lb class with-out hurting her back. With the complete harness, the strain is taken off your back and transferred to your upper thighs. It also allows you to now utilize your whole body when pulling a fish and not just your arms.
    Hi Miles,
    I got to fish out of Cape Town with you soon. :)
    It is not easy to pull 7 consecutive YF's in the 100 - 180 lbs even for a strong man. Your wife must be very experienced offshore fisherman.

I realized that the size of fish targeted dictates what kind of fighting belt to be used. For smaller fish under 70-80 lbs, it doesn't matter what you use.
    I am always interested in big fish over 100 lbs for any kind and the fighting belt position has to be lower. I don't bother using a fighting belt under 100 lbs fish. :)