fight the fish fair

Discussion in 'Pelagics' started by jeff rutledge, Feb 21, 2009.

1. jeff rutledge

jeff rutledge Guest

in a lot of fishing videos you here people telling the one reeling in the fish to fight the fish fair does this mean to not use the rail.

2. rtran

rtran Senior Member

many people have different views on it from points of

1. using the rail
    2. using chair
    3. using electric reel
    4. using harness

everyone is different and there are many variables

3. lucas_shane

lucas_shane Member

i have never caught anything REAL big that lasted more than a second or two. but in my opinion the chair would be a last resort !! now the rail i have been guilty of it being a resting point but never a leverage point.
    now im all in for a decent belt but i have never used a harness but if we get into the big YFT adventures i think i will be buying one. lol

unless one is handy cap then i feel the electric reels should be banned!!!

4. DanS

DanS Senior Member

Fair? Did you mean "fair" or "fair?"

According to 'you know who', a "fair" fight is you in the water with the other end of the line attached to a treble hook embedded in your jaw. :eek: (Snorkeling equipment is optional). :) Funny visuals, no?

[​IMG]

Negate Genesis 1:26 ("...and let them [mankind] rule over the fish of the sea...") and you've got real problems from wackos.

5. jeff rutledge

jeff rutledge Guest

thanks for the input i was curious

6. d-a

d-a Senior Member

Whats FAIR? The fish is doing everything it can to prevent Death. Your not risking your life.

d-a

7. spineyman

spineyman Senior Member

yes I fight the fish fair. I am the one who took the game Warden fishing and lit a stick of Dynamite and handed it to the warden and asked him if he was going to talk or was he going to fish.

8. Brokejeep

Brokejeep Senior Member

Whats FAIR? The fish is doing everything it can to prevent Death. Your not risking your life.

d-a
    Talk to Snagged about risking his life fishing! LOL

9. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

its all fair. all those methods are techniques used to land fish. if im tired i'll lean on something. doesnt matter how its done as long as it gets done. i personally like to haze my buddies for taking too long or when they are getting whipped (vice versa) but who cares about how your doing it. it is your fish, fight the way you want.

10. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

Whats FAIR? The fish is doing everything it can to prevent Death. d-a

Even lures face death these days.:D Nothing is safe from some fishermen.

Attached Files:

11. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

It all depends on how much you want to give handycap to fish. :)

12. lucas_shane

lucas_shane Member

hey flex i like your way of thinking. if you set the hook to heck with what everyone else thinks. so do what you have to do to get the fish in the boat.
    i know i like to give ppl crap while they are fighting a fish....especially ol "JEFF".

13. Fishhead56

Fishhead56 Senior Member

I have 5 channels to look at, that have saltwater fishing shows.
    And have fished since I was 6 in 1962, I have never heard that...

Where in paticular are you hearing this.

K2

14. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

I've never delibertly risked my life.....well, jumped out of a few planes, a few more chopers, done a little flattracking on scooters, played with sprint cars and a few fourmla cars... but never risked my life fishing.
    A mild heatstroke one time and I was fine in a couple of hours.

15. tdwcapt

tdwcapt Guest

in a lot of fishing videos you here people telling the one reeling in the fish to fight the fish fair does this mean to not use the rail.

Go on the Royal Polaris and tell Frank LoPreste and the boys that! See what happens. :D

I am a firm believer in the use of the rail! And having said that there are ways to do it properly so you don't break rods. Also, you have to know when not to use the rail. In most of my knockdown drag out fights it's a combination of knowing when to stay off the rail and then laying the rod down and puttin some heat on a big fish.

16. d-a

d-a Senior Member

I was there when Jerry took his ride in the Dauphine, he didn't risk anything while fishing except a couple large Blue runners.

d-a

17. jig

jig Senior Member

I fish because I enjoy it. Using the rail on a big fish helps me enjoy it. I am not out there to prove anything.

I guess fair would be a hand held hand line, and you in the water with the fish.

18. tdwcapt

tdwcapt Guest

Uh...the entire notion of fishing is unfair! Let's think about it. You are trying to fool a creature that is a lot dumber than you are, to act on it's own instincts to feed something that looks and (hopefully) acts as though it is an easy meal. And when it does you (assuming a modicum of skill) then goad it into a fight or flight reaction by hooking it. Confusion, fear and survival instincts take over in your quarry as it fights for its life - while you on the other end are ready and understand what the game is about, and have set out to enjoy it.

I'd say that fish doesn't have a clue, nor cares, about whether or not you are fighting the fish on the rail. Furthermore, fairness is a human, intelligent notion. So if you really want to get metaphysical here, the very idea of fairness can't even be invocated here because both parties to the action, you and the fish, cannot comprehend the concept equally.

So shut up and fish! Fishing videos! Gimme a break! LOL! :D

19. gman

gman Senior Member

Personsaly I don't believe in using the rail, a harness is one thing using the rail is another but everyone is different and if thats what you need to do to land your fish by all means your paying for the trip.

20. jiggawhat

jiggawhat Senior Member

using the rail, harness, belt ..........whoever catches the biggest fish wins right?

21. gman

gman Senior Member

using the rail and a harness are two completely different things

22. jiggawhat

jiggawhat Senior Member

i guess so the rail is the worse of the two evils and the harnes is preperation for the event?