360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well guys I was thinking about these things in school.
After using my spheros 14000 I have decided that the reel is just a little too much for me. SO im either wanting to get something like a torium 30 on a nice casting rod or get a smaller spheros.

I can cast a conventional, but if I went that route would a torium 30 be a good choice in that price range? if so what rod under $150 would you reccomend for this casting application

Any ideas on a lighter action spinning rod under $150, if I decided to just sell my 14000 and get a smaller speheros? Maybe an 8000 spheros with a better drag?

Tight Lines
Kevin

·
2,040 Posts
you will be a fool to get rid of the 14000 if you plan on landing a tuna over 100 lb... keep it and get a Spheros 8000(of course change the drags). that smaller spinner would do well on a BarBar(ebay) rod or a Choas.. (the BarBar will be moe forgiving to highsticking) I consider myself pretty close to excellent on being able to cast conventional reels..... and the Torium 20 I had whooooooped my butt on backlashes.... and a backlash on a big setup with a large topwater tries to rip the rod out of your hands, and could possibly cut off a finger if the spectra made a loop right before it backlashed.... (just something to think about).... keep a spinner for casting, and a conventional for jiggin... just go with a smaller spinner and have the larger one ready if the big tuna show.....

·
636 Posts
Kevin....

I don't know much about the Spheros 8000. I do have a 14000 and you're right it is pretty bulky. I also have a Torium 30 and use it with a 6'6" Shimano Tallus 20-50# rod. I believe Roy's has them (Academy too) for about $129. The Torium 30 is a great reel.

As far as spinning rods are concerned .... Bass Pro Shops takes a beating on these boards over their generic tackle but something I have had excellent results with is their OceanMaster line of offshore spinning rods. I have a full compliment of them and they cost around $100. To give you an idea of their size and application I have a pair of Penn 6500s with 20-25# test line on two of their 15-25# rods and I have a Quantum Cabo 60 with 25# test on it on one of their 20-30# test rods. No failures and they really have worked for me.

You can find these rods on the BPS website under Offshore Saltwater Spinning Rods.

If you are looking for a spinner that is lighter and easier to handle than the 14000 but can still handle sizeable fish I recommend the Quantum Cabo 60. I have about 175 yards of 25# test on mine and regularly use it for blackfins, kings, snapper and have also caught AJs up to about 30 pounds on it.

As a footnote here .... I read a post on another board where a boat in Costa Rica uses the Quantum Cabo 60PT's with 80# spectra on them and catches 40-75 YFT with them.

Thinking about these things while at school huh? Musta been while you were at the library ... hmmm?

Bobby

·
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey thanks for the input guys, hey skeeter after hearing bout how the torium could be ill stay away, cuz I can cast em, but not that great, and never ever tried casting with braid.

Thanks awesum, I think Ill proly pick up one of those rods for my 8000.

Tight lines.

Kevin

·
2,040 Posts
let me know if you have the funds for a spheros 8000... I have a couple sources I can get them at dealer cost.(shhhhhh!)... I just cant wear out my sources with reel requests or they will shut me off. pretty funny that I can buy reels cheaper than I can get them from my "sponsor" LMAO!! My "sponsor" needs to take care of thier "staff" a little better..

I am very interested in the Cabo line of spinners and would rather have a 60 than the Spheros 8000... I just cant find any drag specs for them.... maybe awesome could help in that regard.. I would fill my smaller spinner with 50# braid to the top. I think they(cabo) use a ceramic type drag system?? and I have no idea what that means as far as quality compared to carbon fiber drags???

·
636 Posts
According to my trusty Shimano catalogue the Spheros 8000 has 20.5# of maximum drag. That's fairly significant so I guess the main sticker here would be line capacity.

SP8000FA

line 10/390, 12/320, 14/270, 16/220, 20/160

max drag 20.5

gear ratio 4.7:1

Weight 19.8 oz.

Ronnie .... I don't know either what they mean by the ceramic drag on the Cabo PTs. I called Quantum to find out what the drag capacity of the Cabo 80 was and they told me they don't test their spinners for drag. I told them that max drag was an important consideration for anyone fishing offshore with a larger spinner so they might want to consider testing them for drag in the future ... could improve sales, you never know. I do know of cases where folks have filled the 60s with spectra and have done well. I wanted to get a spare spool for the 60 and dedicate that spool to 50# spectra but haven't done it yet because the spool alone is something like $80 .... yikes!

I went ahead and bought the Cabo 80 so now I have that and a Spheros 14000. On my next trip I plan to use them both and make comparisons.

Kevin .... when casting the Torium 30 I seem to do OK when throwing something with a little weight (4 oz. +) but when throwing something lighter my skills diminish quickly.

Quantums new Aruba 2speeds have "carbon disc" drags and supposedly have 60# of drag. I just bought an Aruba 30. For someone wanting a smaller chunking reel that has a stout drag they might want to consider the Aruba 20.

Bobby

·
2,040 Posts
i believe 50# braid is the same diameter as 12# mono... 320 yds would suffice for smaller fish and 12-15 pounds of drag. still dont like the felt washers the shimanos have- but thats a VERY easy fix.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts