Few questions for my next trip whenever that may be....

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by TeamOso, Mar 19, 2007.

1. TeamOso

TeamOso Senior Member

Well guys I was thinking about these things in school.
    After using my spheros 14000 I have decided that the reel is just a little too much for me. SO im either wanting to get something like a torium 30 on a nice casting rod or get a smaller spheros.

I can cast a conventional, but if I went that route would a torium 30 be a good choice in that price range? if so what rod under $150 would you reccomend for this casting application

Any ideas on a lighter action spinning rod under $150, if I decided to just sell my 14000 and get a smaller speheros? Maybe an 8000 spheros with a better drag?

Tight Lines
    Kevin

2. SkeeterRonnie

SkeeterRonnie Senior Member

you will be a fool to get rid of the 14000 if you plan on landing a tuna over 100 lb... keep it and get a Spheros 8000(of course change the drags). that smaller spinner would do well on a BarBar(ebay) rod or a Choas.. (the BarBar will be moe forgiving to highsticking) I consider myself pretty close to excellent on being able to cast conventional reels..... and the Torium 20 I had whooooooped my butt on backlashes.... and a backlash on a big setup with a large topwater tries to rip the rod out of your hands, and could possibly cut off a finger if the spectra made a loop right before it backlashed.... (just something to think about).... keep a spinner for casting, and a conventional for jiggin... just go with a smaller spinner and have the larger one ready if the big tuna show.....

3. awesum

awesum Senior Member

Kevin....

I don't know much about the Spheros 8000. I do have a 14000 and you're right it is pretty bulky. I also have a Torium 30 and use it with a 6'6" Shimano Tallus 20-50# rod. I believe Roy's has them (Academy too) for about $129. The Torium 30 is a great reel.

As far as spinning rods are concerned .... Bass Pro Shops takes a beating on these boards over their generic tackle but something I have had excellent results with is their OceanMaster line of offshore spinning rods. I have a full compliment of them and they cost around $100. To give you an idea of their size and application I have a pair of Penn 6500s with 20-25# test line on two of their 15-25# rods and I have a Quantum Cabo 60 with 25# test on it on one of their 20-30# test rods. No failures and they really have worked for me.

You can find these rods on the BPS website under Offshore Saltwater Spinning Rods.

If you are looking for a spinner that is lighter and easier to handle than the 14000 but can still handle sizeable fish I recommend the Quantum Cabo 60. I have about 175 yards of 25# test on mine and regularly use it for blackfins, kings, snapper and have also caught AJs up to about 30 pounds on it.

As a footnote here .... I read a post on another board where a boat in Costa Rica uses the Quantum Cabo 60PT's with 80# spectra on them and catches 40-75 YFT with them.

Thinking about these things while at school huh? Musta been while you were at the library ... hmmm?

Bobby

4. TeamOso

TeamOso Senior Member

Hey thanks for the input guys, hey skeeter after hearing bout how the torium could be ill stay away, cuz I can cast em, but not that great, and never ever tried casting with braid.

Thanks awesum, I think Ill proly pick up one of those rods for my 8000.

Tight lines.

Kevin

5. SkeeterRonnie

let me know if you have the funds for a spheros 8000... I have a couple sources I can get them at dealer cost.(shhhhhh!)... I just cant wear out my sources with reel requests or they will shut me off. pretty funny that I can buy reels cheaper than I can get them from my "sponsor" LMAO!! My "sponsor" needs to take care of thier "staff" a little better..

I am very interested in the Cabo line of spinners and would rather have a 60 than the Spheros 8000... I just cant find any drag specs for them.... maybe awesome could help in that regard.. I would fill my smaller spinner with 50# braid to the top. I think they(cabo) use a ceramic type drag system?? and I have no idea what that means as far as quality compared to carbon fiber drags???

6. awesum

awesum Senior Member

According to my trusty Shimano catalogue the Spheros 8000 has 20.5# of maximum drag. That's fairly significant so I guess the main sticker here would be line capacity.

SP8000FA

line 10/390, 12/320, 14/270, 16/220, 20/160

max drag 20.5

gear ratio 4.7:1

Weight 19.8 oz.

Ronnie .... I don't know either what they mean by the ceramic drag on the Cabo PTs. I called Quantum to find out what the drag capacity of the Cabo 80 was and they told me they don't test their spinners for drag. I told them that max drag was an important consideration for anyone fishing offshore with a larger spinner so they might want to consider testing them for drag in the future ... could improve sales, you never know. I do know of cases where folks have filled the 60s with spectra and have done well. I wanted to get a spare spool for the 60 and dedicate that spool to 50# spectra but haven't done it yet because the spool alone is something like $80 .... yikes!

I went ahead and bought the Cabo 80 so now I have that and a Spheros 14000. On my next trip I plan to use them both and make comparisons.

Kevin .... when casting the Torium 30 I seem to do OK when throwing something with a little weight (4 oz. +) but when throwing something lighter my skills diminish quickly.

Quantums new Aruba 2speeds have "carbon disc" drags and supposedly have 60# of drag. I just bought an Aruba 30. For someone wanting a smaller chunking reel that has a stout drag they might want to consider the Aruba 20.

Bobby

7. SkeeterRonnie

i believe 50# braid is the same diameter as 12# mono... 320 yds would suffice for smaller fish and 12-15 pounds of drag. still dont like the felt washers the shimanos have- but thats a VERY easy fix.