360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, do you have any trouble casting with the 20k spool?

ive herd the lip design is a bit different and doesnt favor casting, but alot of people use the spool for casting. Will I have any problems?

Also im curious to see how much 60lb fb hollow i can fit on there.

Cheers

·
3,165 Posts
I for one do not have any problems casting that bad boy. I was on the Big E bout 2 weeks ago and I was casting a top water plug with no problems. I actually felt it casted very smoothly. I hope this input helps.

·
1,386 Posts

ive herd the lip design is a bit different and doesnt favor casting, but alot of people use the spool for casting. Will I have any problems?

Cheers

I agree fully with astronut.

I own two 20000FA reels which I had BHP Tackle load with 60# hollow. You need to keep it 1/8" inside the lip, that done, I had no casting issues all summer in heavy use. I got some "heavy" (meaning extra strong 60# JB and fit about 400 yards on). Several reels loaded after mine got 500 yards with 90 to 100 lbs. ABS.

I'm going to describe it separately, but BHP Tackle will soon have a new two-step process for loading spinning reels with braid. The objective is to machine load spectra onto spinners, at proper tension, with proper twist in the top 100 yards. He is able to do this now and will advertise it on his site soon. Basil and I collaborated to come up with the method, but I'm not being compensated in any way--just helping and enjoying the design process.

·
Site Sponsor
816 Posts

Cheers

i use the 20000fa spool for GT fishing and i have no problem casting,
the body that i use is for the 10000fa but i prefer to use the 20000fa just for line capacity, i don't think you will have any issue:)

·
Site Sponsor
1,212 Posts

Max is 550 yards; you might consider 500 yards plus a step-splice to 80lb.

Basil Pappas
BHP Tackle

·
223 Posts
The objective is to machine load spectra onto spinners, at proper tension, with proper twist in the top 100 yards. He is able to do this now and will advertise it on his site soon.

Does this present a problem to get all the line back on the reel during the fight?

I ask because I typically load all my reels by hand, and manually apply tension. Probably lose some amount of capacity, but I know that is how it going to go back on during a fight so all the line will actually fit back on the reel.

·
1,386 Posts
Does this present a problem to get all the line back on the reel during the fight?

I ask because I typically load all my reels by hand, and manually apply tension. Probably lose some amount of capacity, but I know that is how it going to go back on during a fight so all the line will actually fit back on the reel.

The simple answer is it does not present a problem. Even the pressure of a strong fish will be sufficient to repack it. The casting layer expands just a hair but not even enough to notice on the four reels I'm using.

Spectra doesn't stretch much but benefits from loading under a modest tension. The key to this new process is that it will produce the proper reverse twist for the casting portion (top 100 yards) in a machine-loaded, well packed spool. This is something you can do by hand but many anglers have their spools machine loaded. This will be the first two-step machine process that I've seen.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts