Feedback on Williamson Jet Popper 7

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by Castmaster, Feb 28, 2009.

1. Castmaster

Castmaster Senior Member

I picked up a couple of Williamson Jet Popper 7 today. It has some innovative design. The head is built like a jet head. The face has jet holes around it and goes through around the head with the exit holes past the eyes. This would probably create a bubble trail effect and more water disturbance as you pop it. It also has a see-thru mirror like cutout on the body which in effect acts as a flash attractor. It weighs 120 grams or 4oz, perfect casting weight. It is equipped with 300lb rated built-in swivels and VMC treble hooks. I'm just wondering if anyone here has used it and would like some feedback. For $16 a pop, I think it's the cheapest popper out there in the market. Thanks in advance.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. masonboro

masonboro Senior Member

I get them for $13.00, I have not used them so cannot give any input.I can say they are nice to look at,but there is no thru-wire in them.The swivels have an area where they are molded in.My personal opinion is that is not good but I am not skilled at popping.
    Now I live in N.C. where we catch a lot of A.J. and if i were fishing locally I would use them but I am planning trip to panama and I believe I will leave them at home unless someone tell's me different.
    Any input is greatly appreciated because I can get them cheap,but on the other side,I do not want to lose fish because of cheap Popper.

3. Castmaster

Castmaster Senior Member

Thanks for the input. I can't really see if they had a thru wire or not when I bought it today since I can't open it at the store. I'm going to check it out and open it.

4. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

I'm sure you can just return them even if opened.. Now you can go get some OTI Komodos instead. :D

5. masonboro

masonboro Senior Member

Komodo's are what I got once I made plan's for Panama. Totally different lure.I feel good about Komodo,look's very well built.

6. Castmaster

Castmaster Senior Member

I also picked up a couple of OTI Wombat chugger. I like their fat compact design. I'm probably going to exchange the Williamsons and pick up some more Wombats, unless someone who's caught some monsters using the Williamsons with no problems would chime in.

7. ichibahn

ichibahn ** Pak Lurah **

This popper will not float on the surface, kinda slow sinking.
    Brian (kidflex) and ToneyC caught plenty of tuna on Tomeny trip last year.
    But you need to changed that hook with owner ST-66.

I will stick with OTI Komodo and Wombat for big tuna.

8. Castmaster

Castmaster Senior Member

Found this video of the Williamson popper. Looks like the action is good and the jet head really creates a nice bubble trail. I think I'm just going to keep it and try it out on my next trip.

YouTube - Rapala \ Williamson Jet Popper Lure

9. ichibahn

ichibahn ** Pak Lurah **

It is create nice bubble trail but doesn't make big splash as Komodo (because of those jet hole).
    I have complete color set as well for my lure collection.:)

10. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

This popper will not float on the surface, kinda slow sinking.
    Brian (kidflex) and ToneyC caught plenty of tuna on Tomeny trip last year.
    But you need to changed that hook with owner ST-66.

I will stick with OTI Komodo and Wombat for big tuna.

ive never used the williamson poppers. i was using tuna tunters that night. toneyc used the williamson popper in purple/pink color and caught this

[​IMG]

i would change the vmc hooks to owner st-66

11. ToneyC

ToneyC Senior Member

I still have have that blue/pink popper. I plan on using it on my next trip in May. Hopefully I will get another chance to test it on a whopper. We shall see if it will hold up...

12. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

i have 2. i htink a 30 or 40lb yellowfin is the biggest fish ive caught on them. they're OK, but theyre not OTI poppers. i would buy fewer OTIs than more williamsons.

also - if you do plan to change the hooks, build that into the price. OTIs come with the st 66s.

13. Castmaster

Castmaster Senior Member

Thanks for the feedback bros. I'll surely change the hooks to Owner. I agree that OTI poppers are in a different class. I particularly like the Wombats. I also was able to check out the Tuna Sniper rod, finally. They're light, and really like the much smaller diameter grip than the grip used on the OTI jigging and the 7'6" popping rods. They're sweeeetttt and I could surely cast a mile with it. Broken down, the longest length was 6 feet, very transportable. Definitely first in line on my next buy list. I plan on mating the Tuna Sniper with my Saltiga Dogfight. Fish on!

14. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

even without the dogfight i think the wombat/komodo poppers are worth it. the fish dont see the tuna sniper or saltiga but they do see the popper :)

15. Castmaster

Castmaster Senior Member

16. peanuts

peanuts Member

Ok so what size st66 have you put on your 7" Williamson's

17. etan

etan Senior Member

The Williamson Jet Popper is my favorite. Its the first popper I use. My biggest tuna on one so far is a 90# YFT. I recently bought the smaller model and can't wait to try it.