360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts
Do you know how the midknot got it's name?

It was originated by a Japanese angler, Hiroshi Kobayashi. He was famous for fishing Tokyo Bay for seabass in the middle of the night. His nickname is "Midnight", which although an English word, is commonly used in Japan.
Some people in the GT circuit still call it the "Midnight Knot".

I call it the "House Breaker" knot. I bought one of those spooling devices to tie the knot. For some reason, I can't get that aluminum spool to spin around without flying off into everything. I've broken two vases, one glass pane in a china cabinet, and put numerous dents in the ceiling and walls.:eek:

I have made this knot 100 times and can tie it in a few minutes, including the bimini.

How to make SIG knot

I have destructively tested it dozens of times but the braid before the Bimini or the Leader always breaks before the knot.

I use a double overhand knot as the stop knot instead of the two turn uni so that all tags and lines run parallel to the main line.

The knot is tiny and stands up to frequent casting because the leader tag end points to the reel. (Unlike an Albright or Reverse Albright where the leader tag-end goes out through the guides first.)

The SIG looks nutty but really works. It takes practice but is very strong. Using 50# braid and 50# fluoro, I regularly pick up 40-45 pounds of weight.

Since Japan Tackle is the only place I can find instructions for this knot, if anyone is really interested I will take photos of how I tie the stop knot.

Attached is a photo of the SIG after bring 2 BFT to the boat after a combined 3 hr fight.

Attachments

Im looking for a STRONG knot for connect 80lb spectra (regular braid) to 80lb mono. I am going to rig about 300yards of 80lb braid and fill the rest up with 80lb mono for topshoot. This will be for saltwater tuna fishing, I need to know knot to use and which line gets what know( as i have seen people use two different types of knots)

Figure Eight Knot

This is the simplest knot I know and the one I use most often for heavy mono or floro, 60lbs plus. It was shown to me by Capt Ken Knudsen about 20 years ago while waiting for a tied change around 2am on a Tarpon trip in the keys. I can attach heavy leader to jig, hook or swivel in the dark, in heavy seas, without tools or teeth needed to pull it up tight.

Tag end needs to be about 14 inches. In 2nd photo the short line would be the main line.

Hold tackle in left hand. Pinch both lines. Wrap tag end 2 ½ times around thumb and 1st finger.

Hold wraps in place between 1st and Bird finger

Run tag end back inside wraps towards main line.

Let loops slide off of fingers

Draw up tag end only semi tight, Lube main line with fluid (Spit).

Pull main line to slide knot down against tackle.

Alternate pulling tag line and main line a few times to cinch knot.

Clip off tag end….Done

Attachments

Has anyone tried or tested this knot? If not, would somebody test it and report back?

Fishin Kona

Scroll down to see the link for the dog knot. If the text is too small on the PDF, right click and enlarge.

I'm wondering if a Surgeon's loop -instead of the Bimini loop- would still make this mono to braid connection work?

Actually I use the finger trap method defined on this site, I learned it from parachute riggers and the tool I use is called a botkin tool, which can be made from different items. It has been a great success when making my own assist hooks with kevlar cord I am able to obtain from a certain military base.

animatedknots and other sites are great if that is your ONLY option. However, I've yet to find any method of learning a new knot that beats going down on the docks and having a good mate from a sportfishing boat show you how to do it. Do it in their presence a few times and it's ingrained in your head.

My favorite connection:

Naked:

Takes less then 5 Minutes. Field tested on 300 lb.Yellowfin tuna.

After doing this it will be my first choice.

It is all in your preference, I also prefer hollow core if I used solid I would splice some hollow core to it.

Regards
Mark
2325 Wa Pacificskiff/Blacklabs

21 - 37 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.