360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
SPONSOR
11,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am helping to develop grouper rods/blanks with new carbon materials
What kind of actions rods do you like for grouper fishing ?
The strength/backbone is not an issue at all.

I almost done my project for cod jigging and togging rods/blanks and the blanks should be ready for sale in the US soon.

·
Site Sponsor
2,892 Posts
Thats easy GUSA 602 & 603........I caught a 90 plus pounder on a 602...

·
Site Sponsor
4,162 Posts
i like the lami CGBT961MH action and power,
caught a NC citation size grouper with the rod.
not a monster, but a nice avg fish.

and it is a great dual purpose blank,
good for tuna, cod, grouper.
at least for me

G

·
if its over 6.5 feet, i would make sure its 2 piece. with the travel regs now, it can be a huge pain to fly with longer rods.

·
1,541 Posts
slow parabolic rod, plenty of power halfway thru the blank. Firm enough tip to be able to handle 8 to 10oz jigs.

I would think your cod jigging blank might suffice

·
Tuna Club Member
1,708 Posts
I am helping to develop grouper rods/blanks with new carbon materials
What kind of actions rods do you like for grouper fishing ?
The strength/backbone is not an issue at all.

I almost done my project for cod jigging and togging rods/blanks and the blanks should be ready for sale in the US soon.

What kinds of groupers that you're talking about?

Warsaw or scamp?

For warsaw a 5.2 - 5.8 rod with the same action like the JM 500G.
For smaller groupers like scamp, a 5.6 rods with the same action like JM 350g or less IMO

·
SPONSOR
11,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
fast tip
thin & light
7' long
Some also mentioned they prefer fast action rods for grouper and I am wondering what kind of advantage fast action rods has for powerful fish like grouper. The initial hookup stage is critical and the rods tip of fast action rods can bent easily to allow big grouper goes under the structure and the detecting grouper bites on baits/jigs is not delicate.
They can make any action rods with new carbon material and let me know what I am missing.

·
2,030 Posts
I like my grouper rods stout, so like you say the initial hookup is make or break time. I use a fast tip rod for snapper not grouper.

·
231 Posts
Kil - We have bounced around fishing many different blanks trying to find "the blank" for grouper. St. Croix musky, Batson blanks, various parabolic jigging blanks, glass, graphite, glass and graphite, etc. You name it we have tried it. Right now, I am fishing BillyV's Hercules XL Inshore Heavy cut down to 6'6. IMHO the perfect grouper blank for here in NC would be 6'6 to 7', fast action, .65" butt to a 8 or 9 top, little bit of tip action but strong as hell when you need to pull his ass outta the rocks. The gags can get real finicky down here so sensitivity should be maximized as well. The blank should also be light. Preferably 5 to 6 oz blank weight.

I know you will wanna test your blanks fishing with Joe :) ......... lemme know and I will join you guys.

·
SPONSOR
11,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Kil - We have bounced around fishing many different blanks trying to find "the blank" for grouper. St. Croix musky, Batson blanks, various parabolic jigging blanks, glass, graphite, glass and graphite, etc. You name it we have tried it. Right now, I am fishing BillyV's Hercules XL Inshore Heavy cut down to 6'6. IMHO the perfect grouper blank for here in NC would be 6'6 to 7', fast action, .65" butt to a 8 or 9 top, little bit of tip action but strong as hell when you need to pull his ass outta the rocks. The gags can get real finicky down here so sensitivity should be maximized as well. The blank should also be light. Preferably 5 to 6 oz blank weight.

I know you will wanna test your blanks fishing with Joe :) ......... lemme know and I will join you guys.
Pete, that is very interesting. Hercules blank is really fast action blank
I remember some got annoyed when I said Superseeker Hercules are the the best fast action jigging blanks in $100 range. :) But I believe they do.
Billy40 did a tremendous job to develop Hercules blanks.
Joe really loves the 500g JM rod for grouper and he have caught thousands grouper for over 25 years. I am going to test some different blanks for grouper with Joe and I call you when I go down to NC.

·
Super Moderator
5,784 Posts
Some also mentioned they prefer fast action rods for grouper and I am wondering what kind of advantage fast action rods has for powerful fish like grouper. The initial hookup stage is critical and the rods tip of fast action rods can bent easily to allow big grouper goes under the structure and the detecting grouper bites on baits/jigs is not delicate.
They can make any action rods with new carbon material and let me know what I am missing.

The last 3 times that hooked into a big grouper, it wasn't a slam
bam thank you ma'am..... more like he was toying with my bait,
and was sucking at the bait. I'd like to be able to feel that , so if
it's a tug that equates to a sucking motion which equates to larger/
smarter fish

I am a sensitive guy and I like a sensitive rod :)

·
Site Sponsor
2,892 Posts
and was sucking at the bait. I'd like to be able to feel that , so if
it's a tug that equates to a sucking motion which equates to larger/
smarter fish

I am a sensitive guy and I like a sensitive rod :)

I agree....Thats why I think most composite rods fall short..I fish both composite with E-glass & S-glass..I didnt like the S-glass for grouper..Not bad on Jacks or heavy hitters..But on the light bite Like I posted before the GUSA 602 & 603 cant be beat...

·
231 Posts
and was sucking at the bait.

Yep. They do the same thing here in NC.

Pete, that is very interesting. Hercules blank is really fast action blank
I remember some got annoyed when I said Superseeker Hercules are the the best fast action jigging blanks in $100 range. :) But I believe they do.
Billy40 did a tremendous job to develop Hercules blanks.
Joe really loves the 500g JM rod for grouper and he have caught thousands grouper for over 25 years. I am going to test some different blanks for grouper with Joe and I call you when I go down to NC.

Kil - Are the new rods sensitive as graphite musky blanks??

·
SPONSOR
11,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yep. They do the same thing here in NC.

Kil - Are the new rods sensitive as graphite musky blanks??
Graphite is a kind of carbon. This new carbon material is just soft and as sensitive as graphite.

·
42 Posts
I like the Calstar Grafighter 760l. Loads quickly to keep the fish out of the rocks and is plenty sensitive with braid. It is a little heavy when compared with the parabolic blanks. I have mine equipped with hypalon grips, fuji boat rod seat, batson rubber gimbal and the fuji HB series SIC guides(acid wrapped). Very easy to hold on to all day. Perfect set up for decoy jigs.
MM

·
Site Sponsor
4,162 Posts
I like the Calstar Grafighter 760l. Loads quickly to keep the fish out of the rocks and is plenty sensitive with braid. It is a little heavy when compared with the parabolic blanks. I have mine equipped with hypalon grips, fuji boat rod seat, batson rubber gimbal and the fuji HB series SIC guides(acid wrapped). Very easy to hold on to all day. Perfect set up for decoy jigs.
MM
i like that 760 blank

1 - 18 of 18 Posts