360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Banned
831 Posts
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
thank you so much - any idea which hocks is better ? and shall i use the same hock on short and tall jigs ?

I like longer hooks on longer jigs. 2/3 the length.

Scott

·
1,366 Posts
River2Sea - Spike Jig (redhead glow) 230g

Eastern Tackle - Katana Jig (pot roast) 240g

Basically jigs that are long, skinny, and shiny. There is a long standing joke of using a butter knife with an assist hook for the AJs.

Ty

·
819 Posts
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
thank you so much - any idea which hocks is better ? and shall i use the same hock on short and tall jigs ?

Will say that Zest has a great OEM for Smith Nagamasa and other long knife jigs. Smith is king but a couple bucks saved might pay for an additional charter, or two???

Member VARandy is a good source for the Zest jigs.

·
Site Sponsor
1,444 Posts
As already stated, I think that AJs will grab the proverbial(and literal for those creative DIY guys) "kitchen sink", they aren't known to be all that choosy or wary. Good comments about it getting expensive if you are losing a bunch, so sometimes juts the cheap or homemade ones are fine. The long, thin, knife-style heavy jigs really get the nod usually, and I agree wholeheartedly on the bright colors.

That being said, if money isn't the issue or you don't lose a lot, I lean towards jigs that will work on a variety of fish, especially the offshore monsters like AJ and tuna. I like working smaller profile jigs, so I look towards ones that drop quickly with a good wobble, and can be ripped at high speed but also have additional properties as a yo-yo style. I know that often a jig stopped and started with longer pauses will not get as many hits, but will sometimes get much larger fish size wise when fishing AJ...Since we are throwing names into the ring, my personal favorite is the Pt. Jude Deep Force series glow/pink color, they have proven themselves on everything that swims in many different water conditions/clarity. Great jigs will get hammered by any fish it gets put in front of, some with very little input from the operator.

·
1,482 Posts
thanks guys.... now im planning on making a kitchen knife jig when i get home... the woman is gonna love that. "why do we only have 7 knives?" hahaha

·
1,038 Posts
thanks guys.... now im planning on making a kitchen knife jig when i get home... the woman is gonna love that. "why do we only have 7 knives?" hahaha
You should be smarter than that, take all set, having extra spares never hurts.:D

·
5,457 Posts
Long is the name of the game like mentioned previously. Here is a jig I made several years ago just for Aj's. It's next to a 400g Smith Nagamasa that's @14 inches long

d-a

·
299 Posts
Hots Keitan.... In Aura holo Silver....... You will not be disappointed, probably the best feeling jig I have ever owned. Really incredible for working fast.

·
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
i have Oti blue color jig - williamson abyss silver - williamson abys pink - voltrex orange any advice which will be good for amberjacks ? and should i change the original assist hooks with onther ( any advice for size and brand ?

21 - 40 of 47 Posts