Factors that make jigging tiring

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by Inspiro, Apr 7, 2014.

1. spineyman

spineyman Senior Member

2. copperhead

copperhead Site Sponsor

Also shape of couch potato

3. GARRIGA

GARRIGA Senior Member

Not getting bit often contributes to getting tired.

4. Fishermex

Fishermex Senior Member

Amen!

5. jigging croatia

jigging croatia Junior member

6. Irish Jigger

Irish Jigger Member

Great advice here from Phil and Denis. I find this method less tiring than others.

7. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Use fast cranking only when needed. I observe many fishermen crank and crank for any kind of fish and get tired easily. I am old. I used to jig 10 hours non-stop for tuna using 200g - 300g jigs. I still can
    do if I want. Slow jigging or moving rods up and down work great for many species and you can jig long
    hours.
    I like to have everything light from rods, reels to jigs if possible for long hour jigging.

You can drink beer while jigging or fighting tuna. :) I had 150 lb bluefin on the end of the line in the picture. I used JM Power Spell 500g and JM PE4 reel with Varivas PE5 line. I caught 90 lb, 120 lb and 150 lb tuna using the tiny PE4 reel.

[​IMG]

average size tuna we caught on jigs on the trip with light jigging stuff.
    Angelo used 500g Hopper rod and landed 160 lb tuna, but I know the Hopper rods is not
    for 200 lb tuna as I hear the problem.
    [​IMG]

--------------

www.jignpop.com
    www.jignpopforum.com
    www.blackholeUSA.com

Robert5617 and max drag like this.
  8. Mark Harris

Mark Harris Junior member

Current is a huge tiring factor when jigging and one that many anglers totally miss or under-estimate. Current going one way in the top water and the opposite way down deep = one dead angler :)

9. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Mark, I can not cast big poppers all day in hot weather like you and Ed do :)

---------------

www.jignpop.com
    www.jignpopforum.com
    www.blackholeUSA>com

Mark Harris likes this.
  10. ChrisW

ChrisW Member

Exactly my thoughts!
    Reduce that rod leverage whether it is caused by rod too long or too fast. Reduce rod load by choosing slim jigs designs. Reduce weight of your tackle - jig weight, jig profile, braid diameter, leader diameter, leader length, remove adornment to assist hooks.

Go to the gym helps a lot!

11. Roberto Reyes

Roberto Reyes Senior Member

I honestly think, not getting hit often enough, nothing else gets me tired as much as that.

12. gomexus

gomexus Banned

This , plus the heat kills me.

13. Level3

Level3 Half Asian Sensation

All the reasons above, but a real important factor is rod tip recovery speed. For 250g-400g (I don't have a jig over 400g) nothing jigs as well as my Hots Wei World. I've had Synit, MC Works, Black Hole, Jigging Master, Zenaq, etc. My Hots, hands down, works heavy jigs the best. The tip whips the jig up so effortlessly it's amazing. It's quite spoiling actually. Jig with Hots then switch to Kaha 300... I put the Kaha down after 2 drops. Sooooooo much easier on me to jig the Wei World. Downside to everything... Wei World is prone to high stick breakage... This is ok though. I don't high stick. ;)

14. jureal

jureal Senior Member

x3

15. jureal

jureal Senior Member

x3

16. Cabanaboy

Cabanaboy Senior Member Fish Killer

Working out helps. I have an old two piece spinning surf rod that I had lost the end half oh the rod. So I took the butt end and zip tied a 3# scuba weight to the end of it. I keep it in my office. Every morning I jig that rod for 30 min or till I can't anymore. I also have dumb bells that I work every morning as well. I has shoulder surgery last Nov. So that's what promoted me to start working out. I'm 57 so it was hard to rebuild the muscles that I lost. I'm still weak on my left shoulder, but I'll be ready for my 80hr in Oct.

17. d-a

d-a Senior Member

Jigging makes jigging tiring. It's an active way of fishing. When your active you get tired no matter what shape your in.

d-a

jigging croatia and max drag like this.
  18. max drag

max drag Senior Member

Last summer I started a kettle bell workout, this summer jigging has been a breeze. My last trip I was a machine and I was very effective. Working out has HUGE benefits. FWIW I was in shape previously and still got tired, I just focused on the movement and muscle groups with a 25# bell. Now chicks dig me and fish fear me.

Popfly and DenisB like this.