360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Site Sponsor
3,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've never fished Costa Rica but its on the bucket list, so when a good customer came by the house with the offer of an inexpensive way to get
down to Los Suenos even the boss couldn't say no :eek:

So I'm heading down to Los Suenos to see what its all about. I'm doing alot of reading and trying to get a little education on the area. Most of the info on the net is all ads for operators and they are all starting to look alike at this point.

Has anyone fished out of Los Suenos? I know from speaking with guys that have fished C/R that Jacos is less than ideal for jigging and popping - is that the bottom lack of structure or is it that the operators are the sportfisher crowd and focused on tourist Sailfish charters ?

Anything worth casting for off the marina sea wall ? or beaches ?

·
4,574 Posts
try snook off river mouths and roosters around the rocks (as usual)... Los Suenos used to get a lot of publicity from the guys on Offshore Adventures on espn2. i loved that how and the spanish fly :p

·
Site Sponsor
3,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Heading down in early Feb - planing on a few days of trolling for whatever is happening and then want to travel to Quepos (sp?) and spend a day or two jigging and popping.

·
260 Posts
I am going down on 1/27 and fly back 2/2. A friend of mine from Sandy Hook owns a charter boat in Los Suenos and yes I believe it is primarily tourists looking for sails. I will fish a panga a few time while there but have no interest in running 40+ miles for sails. I think the better fishing for jigging and popping is farther south where I fished quite a bit. I will let you know how I make out on the pangas, because I will pop only. Let me know if you want anymore info.

·
231 Posts
I will be down @ Los Suenos next week and will be looking to split cost on a panga for jigging and popping. Anyone interested please pm me.

Thanks

·
142 Posts
I am going down on 1/27 and fly back 2/2. A friend of mine from Sandy Hook owns a charter boat in Los Suenos and yes I believe it is primarily tourists looking for sails. I will fish a panga a few time while there but have no interest in running 40+ miles for sails. I think the better fishing for jigging and popping is farther south where I fished quite a bit. I will let you know how I make out on the pangas, because I will pop only. Let me know if you want anymore info.

YES! Please do, I have little interest in it personally however I'm somewhat obligated to keep my host company and he is paying, I'm covering the tips so we're going to chase sails in a big air conditioned barge for a few days (40 Ocean) and then I'll be itching to throw the Smith and get something on a popper or swimbait. I heard that they will not let you fish off the sea wall at Los Suenos? Is that true - let me know as if you can I'd bring a light tackle spin rod and screw around with that for a bit.

Please get cell phone numbers of any operators or capts that are worth a damm - I'd appreciate it. I think we're already decided on renting a car so we can get to Quepos to fish there as well.

Thanks!

·
260 Posts
Reserve your car. My buddy just reserved mine. There is a payless in Jaco and they always run out. LMK if you need help with that. My buddy runs a boat out of that dream fleet and is a good bottom capt. here in NJ and is working on getting more pcs there so he doesn't have to drag baits all the time. He is starting to have success with some small groupers. As far as I know you can fish the beach there but not the wall or docks. I will try to get more info for you.

·
2,835 Posts
Lots of Pacific sailfish off the Oso area in South Costa Rica right now.
A friend released 22 today. It doesn't get much better than that.

·
Site Sponsor
3,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Cassidy thanks for all the great info today. I learned of a spot that doesn't get the pressure that Los Suenos sees, its about 2.5 hrs south might try it out if times allows, the area is called Sierra Pacifica its where the mouths of 4 rivers come together and create a bay system (?)

·
260 Posts
Definetly a better chance of jigging and popping there. You can fish the mouths and you have Cano Island there and also if you get there ask to fish La Chanca. There is a sea mount that has depths that I believe could be 1000+ feet deep and the mount is like 190'. Jigged snappers big AJ popped YT great spot. You could even get a shot of a Marlin a popper there. A spot with great life. You will find all the jacks roosters and cuberas along the beachs. Bring some soft baits like 4" tsunami shads or similiar to throw around the river mouth for some nice snook. I did fish yesterday out of Los Suenos and we caught 50+ grouper and I had 10 on jigs and some small snapper in 290' 22 miles SE of the marina. The grouper were like 5-12 lbs just like our togs. I am probably gonna fish a panga Sunday. I'll let you know how is goes.

·
2,835 Posts
HI Mr Bill! You must be talking about John's boat.... Pura Vida!

Yes. A couple of Capt's where John works in Texas visited him. I guess it was a working vacation for them. Capt John is a very nice guy and takes his fishing very seriously. I fished with him about two months ago before he took off to CR. He loves it down there. Lots of fish and easy on the back. Fishing the GOM in rough waters is hard on the back for guys that make a living fishing. I think they jumped from 3rd to 1st place in the tournament because of that big 22 release day.

The Oso area to me is the best area in CR to fish. The wildlife in that area is amazing. Not many places in the world for viewing different species of animals. More variety of fish and game than up north near Los Suenos. I think the marketing of the development of Los Suenos makes it "The place to go in CR" . It's a nice place, but I can tell you from experience that the Southern region of CR is way different from the Northern region.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts