Exceeding Max Strike Drag on Lever Drag Reel

Discussion in 'Reel Repair' started by Iliveoutside, Jan 9, 2009.

1. Iliveoutside

Iliveoutside Senior Member

I just picked up an Avet SXMC. Wanted to check out the magnetic cast control, and Charkbait has a really good deal on them, so I bought one.

The reel is rated by Avet to do 9lbs at strike. Now I know they are usually a bit conservative, but it seems to me that I can get MUCH more than 9lbs, and still have freespool. Actually, I can crank the drag down and pretty darn near lock the spool in the fulll position, and still have free spool.

I don't want to mess up the reel. Is there any danger to the reel if I put more than the rated drag on it?

2. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

alantani will be the best guy to give you that reply, but are there any binding issues?

i know on some reels, high drags can lead to antireverse failures and sore knuckles :p

there are a few things that i imagine can happen, but again someone with better mechanical knowledge will give you specifics. i just fish reels i dont fix them, haha

3. Iliveoutside

Yeah, I have heard of the anti reverse issue on other brands. That's what I wanted to find out about.

Doesn't seem to be any binding in the freespool position. Haven't really messed with the drag a ton yet. I have been too busy testing the cast control, which works great.

4. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

whatre you gonna use it for, tog?

also, how tough is it to get the lever into strike when the drag is ramped up? thats another issue for a lot of small lever drag reels. its one of the main reasons that a lot of guys prefer jigging with star drags.

5. Iliveoutside

I was gonna use it as my new mahi reel for NE tuna trips. I'm also gonna use it down in Florida next month for Yellow Tails and Kings. Mainly any 20-30lb application I run into. Very cool little reel. I can also use it for Salmon and Steelhead here fishing rivers in Michigan--I bet it would be the only lever drag ever used for that. Also would be a great inshore reel if I ever get to go back to the East Cape for roosters. Boy, the possibilities are endless.

Having the ability to crank up the drag safely, though, opens a whole new world though, I put a full 300 yd spool of 50lb power pro on it.

6. Bazztex

Bazztex Senior Member

Having the ability to crank up the drag safely, though, opens a whole new world though, I put a full 300 yd spool of 50lb power pro on it.

Using the 1/3 rule for drag with 50# braid and a 40# leader you would not be putting too much stress on your reel at 13# of drag. Get you a rod rated for 30-50# line and yu're set.

7. Iliveoutside

Bazztex, I am familiar with how much drag to use for the line and the rod. My question is regarding the guts of the reel. Avet says the reel will do 9lbs at strike. Seem like the reel is capable of much more than that and still have free spool. I just want to make sure I am not damaging the reel if I fish it at higher than its rated drag.

8. alantani

alantani Senior Member

can you check it with a scale and let us know. if avet has made some changes, i will have to get a reel and take a look. thanks! alan

9. Iliveoutside

I will try it over the weekend sometime...It's 15 degrees here, and I have to walk outside to the garage---not a Friday night at 11:45pm task:D

10. Bazztex

Bazztex Senior Member

Not knowing you I was just offering Drag Settings advise in case you needed that direction based on the info given thus far.

Unless ithe SX drag has been modified I don't think it's possible.. Avet would not design a reel that would destroy its self if pushed to it's limits. Warranty issues would bankrupt them.. LOL :)

The standard SX drag puts out 9# at strike and 14# at full.. using 50# line there is No Reason to exceed the MFG's suggested drag/ # test ratings. If you put bigger line you'd lose substantial yardage and might lose a good fish before you get it stoped.

Like Mr Alan T says "using a drag scale get us a reading" and we can better advise you about this isssue.

Bazz

11. Bazztex

Bazztex Senior Member

Another issue to ponder is...

As you lose line during a fish run and the spool gets smaller drag tension increases. If you start out with too much drag it will quickly get beyond a tension range the line can manage and something like your lighter leader or hook will have to give.

Bazz :D

12. Fishhead56

Fishhead56 Senior Member

Outside,

Chill.

If Al, responded to you.
    Read, think, reply when you get a chance. Then we will all learn.

K2

13. alantani

alantani Senior Member

there is another possibility........

avet may have changed the reel to give more drag pressure. i was talking this over with a machinist. if you ground out the side plate to install a larger right main side plate bearing, you should be able to increase the functional drag range beyond 9 pounds. an increase to 13 pounds would be the minimum that i would look for, and 15 pounds would be ideal. avet has made improvements to their reel without telling anyone before. i think that's just the way they roll.

but until we get that reel on a scale, we are all just guessing. and none of this discussion is helping to increase sales of avet reels. alan

14. lite-liner

lite-liner troll enforcement Staff Member

well, I have 2 sx reels, an early-run"noisy" model, and a later silent model
    they both scale out @ or above rated drag. I have never had a problem
    in any 25# application.
    On the silent model, I have played w drag settings a little, but it's really
    not justified if you fish w/ in the specified tackle range 15-30#. I have bumped the drags to 10#/ strike & although it ends up w/ 15.5# at full,
    there is about 25% loss in freespool @ that point, AND ramp-up from strike to
    full is shortened as well as effort to do so. this was after re-lubing the reel
    per Alan's tutorial, so in my estimation 15# measured drag isn't necessary for
    this setup.
    Regardless, I fling Iron for Ca. Yellowtail & WSB's, fish bull reds & stripers &
    blackfin tuna with the very same setup. this is a very versatile reel right out of the box.
    in my opinion, they've got TOO MUCH freespool already for casting.
    -Brian

15. Iliveoutside

Lite Liner--the one I just got has the magnetic cast control, it casts beautifully with very little thumb work. Very easy to cast.

I still didn't get to the scale, will report back.

16. Depraved

Depraved Cabo is a POS

i tried my sx and got 23lbs drag on full

17. rhale

rhale Senior Member

You can mess up an Avet by cranking down on the drag. A friend had to send his LX back for repairs after a while of fishing way over the stated drag settings.
    This reel made it through a whole season of abuse that would bring a lesser reel down in one trip. He had to loosen the preset just to get a 250 gram jig to drop and then would crank it back up before starting the retrieve.....
    I tried to use it once and the lever was super hard to get past strike.

I guess what I am saying is that Avet reels are very good and I think its OK to push it up a little but dont go overboard just because.