Everol Reels

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by mikew, Apr 15, 2008.

1. mikew

mikew SPONSOR

Anyone here fish Everol reels? Tell me your likes or dislikes any experiences with the reels you can share. Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Mike W

2. Sea Crappie

Sea Crappie Senior Member

Mike,

I've looked at them on and off for a few years. I really like the graduated drag scale, as I think that's a great idea if you're in a situation where you give up alot of line to the fish. The anodizing is really nice and they seem to be great overall quality.

In the end I decided not to get any, and here's why (all comments resticted to the 2spd version).

1. The gear box + shift mechanism puts the handle far from the frame. I fish stand-up and hate wobble. This just doesn't work for me.

2. They've been in and out of the US mkt several times over the past 50 years and I'm a bit nervous about having several k tied up in reels that may or may not have someone to service them.

3. Under their old pricing scheme, Everol's were a good value relative to the other 2 Italian heavy weights. Now though, an Everol 9/0 is $200 more than the Alutecnos 9/0 and only $200 under a Duel. Hell, if you wait 'em out on ebay, you can pick up a Tiagra 80WA for $600, and while Everols are cool, I can sleep easy at night knowing they don't have $500/reel more performance than a Tiagra.

On they other hand, I hear the waterproof series is pretty good value for the money, built like little battle tanks.

3. paul708

paul708 Site Sponsor

i have used the 6/12 great little reel built like a tank, no problems with the reel.

4. mikew

mikew SPONSOR

Thanks Anthony & Paul, I appreciate your feedback.

5. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

What size Everol reel are you looking for ?
    Jigging reels or bait fishing reels ?

6. Fishhead56

Fishhead56 Senior Member

Anthony Michael "Tony" Bourdain (born June 25, 1956) is an American author and chef. He is well known for his 2000 book, Kitchen Confidential: Adventures in the Culinary Underbelly. Bourdain is also the host of Travel Channel's culinary and cultural adventure program, Anthony Bourdain: No Reservations. Bourdain is currently the "Chef-at-Large" of Brasserie Les Halles, based in New York City with locations in Miami, Florida, and Washington, D.C.

And is Sea Crappie's signature quoate...

Also the only Chef I've seen smoke a couple of ciggs and pound a few brews while checking out street vendor style foods around the 3rd world....
    Not your regular TV food show host, Thus not your regular type quoate from him.

7. mikew

mikew SPONSOR

I see that now that you have pointed it out fishhead, Thanks.

Thanks Sea Crappie for your perspective as well as Anthony's ;)

Kil, I am thinking of stocking them. Just seeing if there is anyone out there that actually use/likes them.

Anthony Michael "Tony" Bourdain (born June 25, 1956) is an American author and chef. He is well known for his 2000 book, Kitchen Confidential: Adventures in the Culinary Underbelly. Bourdain is also the host of Travel Channel's culinary and cultural adventure program, Anthony Bourdain: No Reservations. Bourdain is currently the "Chef-at-Large" of Brasserie Les Halles, based in New York City with locations in Miami, Florida, and Washington, D.C.

And is Sea Crappie's signature quoate...

Also the only Chef I've seen smoke a couple of ciggs and pound a few brews while checking out street vendor style foods around the 3rd world....
    Not your regular TV food show host, Thus not your regular type quoate from him.

8. Sea Crappie

Sea Crappie Senior Member

Fishhead56,

Thanks for explaining the Bourdain thing for me. :D

9. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Kil, I am thinking of stocking them. Just seeing if there is anyone out there that actually use/likes them.
    I think Everol reels have the best value for the money though the prices will be increased due to weak US dollar.
    I used Everol 6/12 and 12/30 for tuna jigging and 6/0 two-speed for bait fishing. They are well built and are strong like a tank. It seems durability is their main concern. I had an opportunity to see inside parts of a everol reel and a Avet reel for similar size. All everol parts are much bigger and stronger.
    I caught over 20 tuna on small 6/12, whichs is tiny 2/0 size reel. My 6/12 reel has over 30 lbs drag at strike and still have excellent free spool and not much binding problem as you experience on other small lever drag reels. ( the reel is upgraded by my friend). ALl everol I used had excellent drag.

For bigger Everol reel, they has unigue drag gauge on the side plate. You don't have to measure drag as you can see the drag you want on the gauge.
    The reels are not known in the US due to their low profile advertisement.

[​IMG]

my Everol 6/12
    [​IMG]

10. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

Sea Crappie,

I've seen you on the tube many times. Let me ask you question. Have you ever prepared "Ribbon-fish".

By the way, I'm a red meat eater myself. If I don't eat at least one pound of some animal that lives on this earth every single day, I get grumpy. I also have never fished with a Vegetarian.:)

One of my best fishing Buddie's will take 10 cans of Vienna Sausage's each trip. It's a hoot watching him take out the first one. He buys them in all flavors. Mustard, barbecue, etc. Half of the juice always ends up on his chest or the deck.:eek:

Mikew, didn't mean to hijack your thread. I have fished with Everol's on charters a few times. They are very good reels. No complaints from me. Now, if you want to know if I would buy one: Probably not because I would worry about getting parts and service. That's a big thing for me. If a place like Roy's will service them, then I would consider buying one. Hope that helps with your decision on rather to carry the line or not.

11. mikew

mikew SPONSOR

Thanks MrBill, I appreciate your input.

12. tess113

tess113 Junior member

I have 6/12,and 2-12/20...and I agree,they are a great value,and are very tuff,and durable.
    The bearings seem to be larger than most reels this size.
    I have caught tuna up to 80-90 lbs with these reels.
    I get about 24-28lbs drag at strike,on all these reels,as the insides of the 6/12,and 12/20 are the same.

13. Angler 1

Angler 1 Guest

I use them for Chartering and they are very tough.

6/12
    12/20
    4/0 2spd canyon special

PLUS 2 YR WARRANTY

14. mikew

mikew SPONSOR

Mike's Gulf Coast Tackle is now handling Everol. I have a couple of 12/20's and a couple of 6/12's inbound.I also have a couple of 4/0 Canyon Specials in stock if anyone is interested. Give me a shout if anyone would like prices on any of these or any other Everol's.

Thanks,
    Mike W