Everol 12/20 vs BX 600?

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by Taz575, Nov 17, 2009.

1. Taz575

Taz575 Senior Member

I am debating between these reels for a lever drag jigging reel for Cape Cod BFT to pair up with an OTI 600gr rod I will be building. Thoughts? Both are single speeds, the 665 may hold more line?

2. John_Madison CT

John_Madison CT Senior Member

I already know my decision.:D

3. turfman

turfman Member

Both good reels but I have favored the 12/20 since it was brought to market. You can't kill a 12/20 very easily. I take 2 12/20's and a JM PE 5 to the cape with me and the 665 stays at home... Maybe next year I'll take a 600 if I get one..

4. jig42na

jig42na Spinal Rods

I never played with much nor fished the everol 12/20 but I know I would buy it hands down over the 665 Accurate. I blew that thing up on one tuna, sent it back, then blew it up again, and then........again.....and then.......SOLD!! to the highest bidder.

5. occams razor

occams razor Junior member

If I must the the 12/20 over a Accurate 665 but I would have to give the new BX-600 Extreme the thumbs up over the 12/20.

The 12/20 is a great reel ...the new Accurates are build up to take some serious Bull**** now.

As with everything you are torn between drawbacks for this one or that one.

I would go with the new BX-600 Extreme but I am biased towards Accurate now. No bull warranty and upgrade of products is top notch !JMO

6. Taz575

Taz575 Senior Member

I am leaning towards the single speed BX 600, but then I saw the Everol for under $400. Hard choice!

7. John_Madison CT

8. Flattop

Flattop Junior member

Thanks for making my reel selection a little tougher for my new JPR acid wrap rod I just picked up tonight. :D

BX-600 or the 12/20? Decisions, decisions, decisions.

9. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

i used a 12/20 upgraded by tunatoys in panama. the reel was very nice. no binding, craz drag, etc....however i dont know how much he upgraded it. its not as "polished" as the accurates, but hasnt had some of the problems (to my knowledge) as they have either.

10. jig42na

jig42na Spinal Rods

BX 600 single speed should be a good reel. They are very nice reels. I just do not trust the small 2 speeds for how much demand we have in them.

11. occams razor

occams razor Junior member

I would agree with everyone on the downfall of the Accurate 665. It had several issues (bearing, two speed and shaft ) problems when you really put the wood to it.

I had to repair mine and I sold it when I had found out Accurate had made the big changes in the BX Extreme series. So I used the money and a little more and ordered the BX2-600 Extreme. There are major differences in the guts of the reel.

You know if Accurate would just put a double dog in the 600 Extreme some how I think it would be flawless. I just don't have a great trust on roller clutches under Tuna pressures.

However the new Exreme has a massive roller clutch now.

My 600N Extreme is used soley for heavy jig work......if I know I am going to strap in (harness) during the day the ATD 50 comes out or my Bullitproof Iternational 50W.

Honestly though I have to say that International 2 50W is a heavy slug of a
    50 class reel and the drag has to be moded to handle todays standards, but that damn thing is bulletproof ! Been spooled a few times under max drag , tore the flats out of the handle in winch mode one day ( my bad ) but the guts of the thing are simple massive for a 50 size reel. Still way heavy though...trade offs:mad:

I am sure you will have good luck either way you go. You are looking at the top of the crowd so either way you really can't go wrong. Good luck in build...

12. John_Madison CT

I emailed Accurate (2 months ago) about the differences between the 665 and the new BX2 or Bx600's.

I was told they are very different reels. The 665 is not designed to go over 20lbs drag, while the Bx series can do 30lbs.. IMO, that's very different.

Don't know how true it is, as I've never fished with either.

13. DANTE25

DANTE25 Senior Member

SEEMS LIKE ALOT OF PEOPLE HAVE HAD ISSUES WITH THE ACCURATE REELS, I HAVE BEEN USING THEM FOR YEARS AND THE ONLY REELS I HAVE HAD PROBLEMS WITH ARE THE OLD 665 THE NEWS ONES ARE GREAT AND THE TWIN SPIN 30, OTHER THAN THAT YOU CANT BEAT THEM

14. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

I along with many other people had problems with the 665-2 speeds. Pouring on the drag was a problem with these reels. I absolutely hated that whiffle ball knob they put on those reels. They came off right away. I sold all of mine and have replaced them with the new BX-2 series.

So far the BX-2 reels have performed flawlessly. No problem shifting and the reel just cranks better. It fells like a different reel with a fish on the line. Bigger shaft, stronger bigger gears and some other improvements. I also like the new indentions on the side plate for the lever drag.

I didn't have or lost confidence with the first boss 2-speeds. Now, I have regained confidence with the BX-2 series and boxed quit a few tuna with them. Very smooth and so far very reliable.