Ever Caught a Roosterfish From Shore in Barra

Discussion in 'Fish Species and Techniques' started by jwalker, May 13, 2008.

1. jwalker

jwalker Guest

Ever caught a big beautiful roosterfish right from the beach? Surf fishing in Barra De Navidad offers some of the best surf fishing and can teach you how do it all from catchin' it to preparing and cooking it

2. LEXPRO

LEXPRO Senior Member

...after all the toughest part would be eating it...

3. D-22

D-22 Junior member

...after all the toughest part would be eating it...
    jaja que vaina...who care about roosterfish

4. gman

gman Senior Member

jaja que vaina...who care about roosterfish

rooster fish are bad ass and a major predator

5. D-22

D-22 Junior member

rooster fish are bad ass and a major predator
    I don't really care if you think roosterfish major predator. For me just a jack. If I want catch jacks I go my backyard and catch jacks. I only care sailfish and tuna. This guy jwalker post ad I don't come on here for read ad. I don't really care.

6. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

d-22: I am neither the owner nor the administrator of this board and thus I speak for neither. I am only one of a very large number of people who enjoy the comradeship of fellow fishermen whom you find here. And one of the things that makes it such a good atmosphere for sharing information and friendship is the decency and civility with which we all treat one-another. Speaking only for myself, I would like to welcome you among our group and, with all respect, request that you speak politely to everyone you address.

Thanks very much,

Russ

7. gman

gman Senior Member

I don't really care if you think roosterfish major predator. For me just a jack. If I want catch jacks I go my backyard and catch jacks. I only care sailfish and tuna. This guy jwalker post ad I don't come on here for read ad. I don't really care.

Im not as politically correct as Russ (thanks by the way), you need some manners. I was merely responding to your comment about somone's post. But your right only Sailfish and tuna matter.

Yes Jwalker is spamming us all on his services but there is no reason to be rude. Karma my friend, it always bites back. Welcome to our peacefull site. Try to add some value when you get a chance

8. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

I plan to explore Central America and Mexico in search of trophy roosterfish and cubera snapper. Dennis Braid spent some time to fish roosterfish and cubera snappper on his recent trip to Panama.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. gman

gman Senior Member

After casting poppers to them in the big rolling surf of Cabo San Lucas I was amazed at how vicious and aggressive they are even at a small size. I cant imagine how the 100 # fish fight

10. JerseyBrian

JerseyBrian Senior Member

btw, a Roosterfish is not a Jack although they seem to look like one. Roosterfish are in their OWN family. One of one. A.K.A. Badass :cool:

11. Gunsmoke

Gunsmoke Guest

Some might call this a cubera snapper. I call it a triple tail.:D :D :D :D :D :D

Attached Files:

12. JerseyBrian

I call those 3 FINE snappers actually :D

13. LEXPRO

LEXPRO Senior Member

14. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

The roosters do bite jigs... i caught a couple on a 100gr...
    My friend Mike cast poppers from the beach in front of Solmar Hotel in Cabo San Lucas last month and got nothing. but he got small roosterfish on every cast with a diamond jig. :eek: He even hooked up two nice yellowfin tuna on a diamond jigs from the beach.

15. gman

gman Senior Member

btw, a Roosterfish is not a Jack although they seem to look like one. Roosterfish are in their OWN family. One of one. A.K.A. Badass :cool:

Thanks for letting my new found friend know

16. D-22

D-22 Junior member

I don't know what mean btw? I never say gallo is same exact especies as jack, I say for ME is just jack. In my home country they no big deal. Nobody really care except turistas. Here from encyclopedia online. Roosterfish - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia "The fish is popular as a game fish, but like most fish in the jack family (besides the amberjack) it is not considered a good eating fish."

17. D-22

D-22 Junior member

d-22: I am neither the owner nor the administrator of this board and thus I speak for neither. I am only one of a very large number of people who enjoy the comradeship of fellow fishermen whom you find here. And one of the things that makes it such a good atmosphere for sharing information and friendship is the decency and civility with which we all treat one-another. Speaking only for myself, I would like to welcome you among our group and, with all respect, request that you speak politely to everyone you address.

Thanks very much,

Russ
    okay my friend yes

18. D-22

D-22 Junior member

Im not as politically correct as Russ (thanks by the way), you need some manners. I was merely responding to your comment about somone's post. But your right only Sailfish and tuna matter.

Yes Jwalker is spamming us all on his services but there is no reason to be rude. Karma my friend, it always bites back. Welcome to our peacefull site. Try to add some value when you get a chance
    okay you understand when I say jwalker only post everytime about ad. I don't come here to read ad, I come here to look at expert opinion of reel and rod. I buy oti 50 and 80 because of great post from master angler. I say for me I only care about sailfish and tuna.

19. D-22

D-22 Junior member

Thanks for letting my new found friend know
    Anybody can catch roosterfish in my country. I don't need to learn anything about roosterfish. I also read you wonder about 100 pound gallo. Maybe you can keep wondering. Anybody can type roosterfish in search engine. :)

20. JerseyBrian

I don't know what mean btw? I never say gallo is same exact especies as jack, I say for ME is just jack. In my home country they no big deal. Nobody really care except turistas. Here from encyclopedia online. Roosterfish - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia "The fish is popular as a game fish, but like most fish in the jack family (besides the amberjack) it is not considered a good eating fish."

Ok... for YOU it may just be a jack :rolleyes: ... but that still doesn't make sense as it is not a jack amigo!! :p I never said that it was the same species as a "Jack" either (since Jacks are an entire family of fish anyway, but I knew what you're getting at...)

If you actually read the entire Wikipedia link you posted, you would have not posted it to support your stance since in the 2nd sentence it states, "It (Roosterfish) is the only fish in the genus Nematistius and the family Nematistiidae".......... which means it's NOT a jack... and no other fish is closely related to it... just cuz it may "look" like a jack...doesn't mean it is related to them. For example, a person can LOOK like a girl....but may have a ding-dong and be a transexual... Never judge a book by it's cover :eek: You really don't want to play the fish species game with me lol. And please do not quote anything from the internet as factual evidence unless it comes from a reputable source... Don't believe everything you read to be true... that wikipedia link has conflicting info.

If you say that it fights like a jack...then we have no problem and are in agreement :)

Regards,

Brian