EPOXY IN THE GUIDES

Discussion in 'Rod Building' started by HUNTER II, Apr 13, 2008.

1. HUNTER II

HUNTER II Guest

I am having trouble keeping the ring section of the smaller guides towards the tip of the rod free of epoxy. I use FlexCoat and when I heat it up to eliminate the bubbles it runs up on to the ring section of the guide. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. txseadog

txseadog Moderator

I am having trouble keeping the ring section of the smaller guides towards the tip of the rod free of epoxy. I use FlexCoat and when I heat it up to eliminate the bubbles it runs up on to the ring section of the guide. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Try using more, thinner coats of finish instead of fewer, thicker ones. You shouldn't have to use as much heat to get rid of the bubbles so it should be easier to prevent it from running as far on the guide frames.

3. feeder

feeder Senior Member

Not sure if this will work but could you try putting a piece of painters tape over the guides to protect the rings? If the epoxy still gets on there you can tear tear off the tape after the epoxy sets a little.

4. bonsiguy

bonsiguy Guest

if you getting the epoxy on the rings your using too much i like to coat the wraps and stop the rotation with the rings side up after i flame the wraps and let the epoxy sag and wipe the drips off the bottom and start the motor up and spin and flame again they come out good. i do at least two or three coats of the lite aftcote

5. canyondiver

canyondiver Guest

if you getting the epoxy on the rings your using too much i like to coat the wraps and stop the rotation with the rings side up after i flame the wraps and let the epoxy sag and wipe the drips off the bottom and start the motor up and spin and flame again they come out good. i do at least two or three coats of the lite aftcote
    +1 Definitely too much epoxy.