360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
Just joined up- looks like a good group of people on here. I hope to learn quite a bit while at work :D .

Anyway, I'm looking into getting into the tuna jigging scene, and was wondering about some suggestions people might have for an entry-level reel. After doing some homework it looks like the Saltist 50 (STT50, with upgraded drags of course) or one of the Avets (LX) might be a good route to go. So a few questions-

1. I'll also be using this reel for jigging cod + bass at times. Would one be better for that purpose than the other?

2. Is a 2-speed reel really necessary? I'd be afraid that the 6.0:1 retrieve might not have enough torque for the bigger fish, and might pull some hooks. On the flip side I really enjoy the fast retrieve of my Torium. Should I save up a little extra for a 2 speed Avet, or just go with the 6.0:1? Or is it best to get the 4.6:1 model?

That's all I can think of for the time being... I'm sure I'll find something else to ask soon.

Thanks!

·
Site Sponsor
4,162 Posts
i use the saltiga size 50 and 30T for cod/tuna. they work for me.
using 8' rods.

the saltist in the same sizes would be good choices.
at 150$ for the 50 size its tough to go wrong.

·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I suppose I should add that this would be for CCB tuna in the 50-100# class. I might take it down to the Caribbean for some YFT/wahoo action as well.

·
225 Posts
KGJ,

The biggest challenge in picking a reel for CCB tuna is that when you drop the jig, anything can hit it. Tuna will range from 50 pounds to 1000 pounds.

Up until this year we were fishing a particular "year class" of tuna that is currently in the 130 to 160 pound range. Later in the year we have seen smaller tuna re-appear... which is a very healthy and possitive sign, but that is a different thread.

So I guess what I am saying is that buying a reel for 50 - 100 pound tuna may be shooting too low for the "normal" fish you will find in CCB. In most cases, the "smallest" fish you come across will be 80 - 100 pounds. The "normal" fish (80% or so) would be 150 pound this year and bigger next year. In some cases, you will see much larger fish.

I would gear up for 150 to 200 pound fish before I geared up for 50 to 100 pound fish. An Avet LX is way to small for 150 pound fish. I owned 2. I loved them. But they are not designed for 150 BFT's. Look at the Avet HX or Pro 30 (too heavey to jig all day).... or look to the Accurate 665 single speed. They are blowing out last years models. You should get a good deal.

An Avet LX would be great for 50 pound YFT's though.....

Mike

·
358 Posts
I have a few of the Saltists and can vouch for them being great reels, especially for the price. The 50 is a great reel, but it's a bit wider than I would like for jigging. If you can get your hands on a 30T, or 40 give them a spin. It's really personal taste and what size fish you're going after.

·
453 Posts
i've started upgrading the shimano trinidads and toriums with the spring and dog from the trinidad dc. you now have a reel that clicks. because of the availability of this upgrade, i would recommend against the daiwa saltiga and saltist. um, at least until someone out there can figure out what to do with the the ambassaduer style dog. it's got to be fixed! alan

trinidad/torium dog spring upgrade

·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all of the advice. I ended up going with the 4.9 saltist 50, because I found an incredible deal. That was the day before you chimed in, alan ;) . I'll replace and grease the washers, and try to not lock down the drag so hard as to run the risk of damaging the dog.

Will probably get myself an HX or an older accurate once I get a promotion :D . This'll work for me for now. Now to track down a rod...

Kevin

1 - 8 of 8 Posts