Electric reel battery

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by Salty Bones, Oct 11, 2020.

1. Salty Bones

Salty Bones Well-Known Member

Hey Guys,

I know there's a few threads on this topic but they're several years old and times have progressed. It has given me a baseline which I'm thankful to you all who posted. I will be getting a seaborg 800mj and a backup tanacom 750. I can hand crank up north the whole trip no problem, but a 4 day Ironman on the Capts was a different beast. I did it but my hands were the size of boxing gloves when we got back to the dock. So what I'm asking fellas, beside 12volt, what should I be looking for "AH" wise and does gel or deep cycle make a difference? What charger would you recommend. Not looking to be budget friendly, I believe in quality vs quantity. Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated as always. Thanks guys

tugasangler likes this.
  2. Tidetraveller

Tidetraveller Senior Member

I place a premium on traveling lite, the battery I’m bringing on my next trip is the Dakota Lithium 12v 54ah. 10a charger comes with the battery.

At 17#s and 9” x 5 1/2” x 8 1/2” it fits in a 5gal bucket.

I don’t use the electric full time i tend mix it up with hand cranking. When I get tired especially if it’s blazing hot/humid or need 4+# to hold bottom, out comes the electric.

Kim, Salty Bones and Gonefishings like this.

3. Salty Bones

Haha, I always pack too much. I'll definitely be hand cranking at least one full day, and using the electric the other two. Basically like you explained with the heat and weight. Thank you very much for the advice!!

4. Salty Bones

Any other advice or recommendation guys?

5. day0ne

day0ne Senior Member

I originally used a jump box from Harbor Freight. I later took the battery out of the jump box and put it a box from Amazon. Has lasted on a 56 hr without recharging.

Salty Bones and Gonefishings like this.
  6. Gonefishings

Gonefishings Member

Show with a pic.

7. Salty Bones

That sounds official! Any pics on how you have it set up?! Thank you for your response!

8. day0ne

day0ne Senior Member

Here goes:

DSC00401.JPG DSC00401.JPG DSC00405.JPG DSC00404.JPG

Salty Bones likes this.
  9. Salty Bones

Yeah, that's official! Nice work!

10. day0ne

day0ne Senior Member

The box is 8.25 x 4 x 11.5 out side dimensions. Most of the stuff came from Amazon and yes, I got a little carried away with the design. Didn't really need the Blue Seas panel but it's nice for charging phones etc. The plugs (white) for the reel and charger came from Harbor Freight

Salty Bones likes this.
  11. simellis

simellis Senior Member

I packed two 14.8 v lipo 16ah. Put one in a fanny pack while fishing and one on charger.

Salty Bones likes this.
  12. Snaphappy

Snaphappy Senior Member

Duracell AGM 27 series comes with a full replacement 3 year warranty. I’ve fished three days straight with one and it still had 70 percent of charge at end of trip.

Salty Bones and Gonefishings like this.
  13. Salty Bones

Nice!! I like that mobility behind the setup! Did you have any issues with the alligator snaps coming off at any time during movement?

14. Salty Bones

That's awesome! I was particularly interested in this battery! I wouldn't mind throwing it on the charger at night, but it's nice to know i can get a whole trip in and not have to worry about it. Thank you very much!!

Snaphappy likes this.
  15. simellis

simellis Senior Member

Don't use alligator clip.. use two xt 90 make and female connectors. You can. Plug and unplug easier for charging also.

Salty Bones likes this.
  16. Salty Bones

Ok perfect!! Thank you very much!!!

17. redgarvey

redgarvey Member

The redneck in me would pull the car or van battery out the vehicle once I was parked.

Drop it in a plastic marine battery box put a belt around it and use motorcycle 'Battery Tender' charger. Never had problem during catching hours or starting vehicle upon departure.

Gonefishings and Salty Bones like this.
  18. Salty Bones

Hahaha, it sounds tempting!!

Gonefishings likes this.