*Edited* Which Reel - Saltist 40 or Baja Special

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by red34, Dec 25, 2008.

1. red34

red34 Guest

Please help me out with choosing a reel

I am building a Jigging/Casting Rod in Conventional with an OTI 7’6” 80# Blank. I want this to be for jigging, popping, and to be similar to the 8’ Calstar Deckhand series rods intended for free-lining sardines and tossing Wahoo Bombs on the San Diego trips.

The main things I need are a good drag, cast control, and able to hold plenty of 65 or 80# spectra. I’m really not all that worried about having a 2-speed reel and I’d like to stay within approximately $200-250. I’m looking at a Saltist 40 and kinda looking at the New for 2009 Quantum CaboPT Convenional.

Thanks in advance.

2. red34

red34 Guest

Pro Gear Reels????

3. TeamOso

TeamOso Senior Member

accurate boss mag 665 , dont mess with the two speed of it, this thing will cast a mile and catch everything.

4. TeamOso

TeamOso Senior Member

or if your on a budget, why not a 4/0? i dont know just my thought i dont have the cash for either though so I guess I shouldnt talk haha

5. red34

red34 Guest

i'd like to go right in the middle of those 2. i couldn't put a 4/0 on that nice of a rod ;) and i can't afford the accurate, especially for as little sw fishing as i get to do up here.

6. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

nothing wrong with a baja 4/0 reel. definitely not beneath the rod in terms of quality and performance. a saltist 40 with carbontex drag upgrade should do you fine.

7. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

a week or two ago there was a great deal on tiburon reels at charkbait. you might be able to find them online for a good price. simple reels without the maintenance problems of an accurate.

8. NEMO

NEMO Member

Went to the Quantum plant here in Tulsa last week to visit a buddy of mine and what they have on the drawing board for 2009/2010 will blow you away, being a Shimano guy at heart they seem to want to capture the saltwater market in a big way, they have several Spinning reels that I wanted to steal but my buddy would'nt let me, all I have to say is I was impressed with the quality of the material they were using and look forward in trying one.

9. awesum

awesum Senior Member

being a Shimano guy at heart they seem to want to capture the saltwater market in a big way

I've always been a Shimano guy myself. But a few years ago when Quantum came out with the Cabo PTs spinners I bought a 60 for using for Red Snapper, Blackfin Tuna and small AJs. I liked it and since then have gotten a Cabo 80, an Aruba 30 and a Cabo PT30 conventional. They still have a long way to go in salwater but I like the reels I have.

10. DeepBlueGulf

DeepBlueGulf Senior Member

Penn Baja Special would be perfect IMHO. But I think they are getting ready to stop making them. For cost, ease of maintanence and just being ready right out of the box, you can't go wrong.

DBG

11. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

if possible i'd look for something slightly used but higher quality. if you need to get the reel ASAP that might be a problem though.

12. red34

red34 Guest

I found some Avet LX reels in this same basic price range. I would choose the 4.6:1 for the same reason as I'd buy the low speed Saltist. Would I be totally screwing myself if I could only get the 6:1?

13. Bazztex

Bazztex Senior Member

14. semipro

semipro Senior Member

Nemo
    I would love the see they come out with good product.
    I like buy good product

15. red34

red34 Guest

16. red34

red34 Guest

17. stresst

stresst Senior Member

Look around and I second pick up something hi-end used. Due to the holiday's I forgot to bump my bid on ebay on lost a OJ 3000 it sold for I think 225 thats a steel!!

Also look for trinidads there 4,450 new but on the west coast boards can be had for less than half that.

18. day0ne

day0ne Senior Member

19. flyerphan13

flyerphan13 Junior member

if you can find a Penn 113hn get it, even if you don't use it the value will sky rocket in a few years, they stopped making them last year and look how hard to find there are already.