Eating Tuna

Discussion in 'Food and Recipe' started by DanS, Feb 4, 2009.

1. DanS

DanS Senior Member

Of course, one of the main reasons to catch tuna is the eating. I love lightly grilled tuna steak, as well as sushi.

Being new to the sport, I'm curious regarding what influences the taste and texture of one's catch?

Size? Are the giants good eating, or tough like an old milk cow?

Specie? Is there a chart that shows the best to the worst eating?

Water conditions?

Ocean...Pacific vs. Atlantic vs etc?

If handled properly, how long will tuna keep in the freezer?

Who here is the tuna eating expert? :D

[​IMG]

2. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

I know only one way to eat tuna.

[​IMG]

but I'd rather eat toro with sake instead of whisky. :)

[​IMG]

3. workin

workin Member

Hey,

Ah food; my favorite subject.

Man, it's close to dinner time and that picture is making my mouth water.

I sure ain't no expert, but I've eaten a fair number that I caught myself. I think flavor and texture vary a lot from fish to fish, and I mean within the same species, caught at the same place on the same day. I haven't noticed any consistent difference in big tuna vs little ones, warm water vs. cold water etc. I never caught a giant, so I can't comment there. Big for me is 80 - 100 lb yellowfin. I can definitely tell the difference in size for some other species, grouper for example, where the smaller ones are better eating.

4. hstsw

hstsw Senior Member

I know only one way to eat tuna.

[​IMG]

but I'd rather eat toro with sake instead of whisky. :)

[​IMG]

Great idea Kil - I knew I forgot something - the Whisky :D

5. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

bluefin is my favorite :)

bigeye is probably second for me.

i actually don't think longfin is that great. I don't think it has much taste....but i know some people love how mild it is. that being said i wouldn't turn it down :)

6. DanS

DanS Senior Member

Wow, that steak looks as if it has 'marbling'. Must be corn-fed tuna. :D

7. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

Dan,

I haven't posted in a while, and I thought Hell, what better way to get started again than to warn a relative newcomer to this board about the danger of eating raw fish. You don't know me, but I do feel the need to warn you. Now most of the folks here on this board are well-meaning but they are also badly misguided and they will agree with you up and down that raw is definitely theway to go--but trust me on this one--that raw fish will fill your guts up with worms and parasites like a trumpet full of spit.

Scientists have proved that if you eat raw beef you are a lot more likely to get mad cow disease--that problem where cattle go berserk and start shaking themselves to death. Now, if you watch a tuna on the deck of the boat, they quiver and beat their tail and flop around every which way--the exact symptoms of what is now known as "mad fish disease." That has got to be just as bad as the kind you get from cattle. For that matter, I had a cousin one time down on the ranch that got a really bad disease from this heifer he had...but that's another story--and I don't want to get Gunsmoke started talking about stock diddling.

Like I told the folks here a couple of years ago that I had a cat one time that used to eat raw fish--and he died.

So I am going to go on enjoying my Chicken of the Sea--thank you very much.

But no one ever listens to poor old Uncle Russ.

Russ

8. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Russ,
    Your statements are true, except saltwater species.
    Most parasite in salt water species die when consumed by human being.
    Some parasite in salt wate fish, which is very rare, penetrate stomach wall and it gives pain, but they eventually die too.

Fresh water species are dangeous for sashimi ( raw fish) and you don't see any freshwater sashimi in Japanese sushi restaurants.

9. workin

workin Member

Hey,

Russ, I can honestly say I've really missed your bs!

Don't listen to him - raw tuna will make you a sexual Tyranosaurus!!

f

10. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

will make you a sexual Tyranosaurus!!

f

nice Predator quote ;)

i love sashimi....best food ever.

also, i like raw beef if its high quality.

11. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

Fresh water species are dangeous for sashimi ( raw fish) and you don't see any freshwater sashimi in Japanese sushi restaurants.

I believe they eat those Snakehead freshwater fish over in Southeast Asia raw :eek: ... I forgot what it's called in chinese, but that stuff is served raw with lemon juice and some other herbs.

12. workin

workin Member

nice Predator quote ;)

i love sashimi....best food ever.

also, i like raw beef if its high quality.

Hey,

Yup. From the mouth of Governor Jesse Ventura, no less. You have excellent taste in movies and food.

F

13. DanS

DanS Senior Member

And to think, some guys are even booking charters in search of these poison critters.

[​IMG]

Nobody warned me about Uncle Russ...:D

I bet that's what the whiskey and saki is for...to kill bugs!

I've been eating raw beef for better than 50+ years, sushi for 30+, and am still here to talk about it. :D

Further, I think I understand the issues about not eating critters at the TOP of the food chain, e.g. barracuda (bad attitude as well), site-specific Ciguatera, and the CWD deer out my backdoor.

14. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

I believe they eat those Snakehead freshwater fish over in Southeast Asia raw :eek: ... I forgot what it's called in chinese, but that stuff is served raw with lemon juice and some other herbs.
    We eat snakehead, carp or other freshwater fish for sashimi in Korea, but many of them who eat fresh water sashimi have to go to hospital. :) They even sell snakehead sashimi as hirame (fluke) sashimi. :eek:
    Don't ever try freshwater sashimi.

15. txsurfnturf

txsurfnturf Junior member

My understanding of mad cow desiese(Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy) is that is a mutated protien , that resides in the brain and nerveus system so unlike a virus or bacterium it isnt actually a living thing so cannot be stopped by any cooking methods so my opinion on raw versus well done beef is that there is no difereince when it comes to preventing mad cow desiese, though i have never heard of mad fish desiese so i cannot comment , but i would assume if a 300 # tuna drug you under the sea you would thrash around abit as well .just my perspective

16. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

Russ,
    After the wife and girlfriend saw a tuna death rattle they both looked at me and said I should move like that. :D

17. cabosandinh

cabosandinh Moderator

Uncle Russ is wrong

fish parasites don't affect humans, they have different
    life cycle and will not survive our digestive/intestine.

You may get cig poisoning from certain reef fish and
    poorly handled/stored tuna

swines and cattle have similar digestive cycles as humans

18. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Parasite from fresh water can survive in humans.

19. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

Kill,
    You going to try our "new" long range boat?

20. Ricky-Ray

Ricky-Ray Member

I'm no tuna expert but here's my experience. I've been give chunks of yellowfin tuna from my friends that have gone on long range trips that range anywhere from 10-18 day's. I've had tuna that was caught anywhere in the 80-260# range and I can't tell the difference between an 80 pounder vs a 260. If vacuum sealed properly the tuna have been able to stay in my freezer for almost up to 2 years and it still tasted just as good.