Easy Breezy Tuna-peezy

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by Riptide, Oct 6, 2009.

1. Riptide

Riptide Banned

Dispite the wind today Ruge and I got Seth, Murry and Eric out looking for tuna. The big Contender ate up all the slop ACK sound had to offer and never slowed as we rounded Monomoy. Dispite the 3-5' seas, the busting tuna were easy to see with all the birds and white water they were throwing.

The first pod we ran up on kinda took our breath away, we had a HUGe pod of 400+ pounders airing out and crashing bait. They were a little more than the sports were looking for on topwater.

We got the guys tight 3 times before business obligations forced the guys to pull the plug mid day. As much as we all wanted to stay out, they had important work to handle and a very specific time line.

We got 2 on new prototype Ocean Lures I've been testing and one on a sub-surface swimmer. The fish ranged from around 85# to 120# We kept this one, the other two were released in the water boatside to ensure the best chance of a viable release. No need to drag them into the boat since we had one on ice already.

I hope NOAA is wrong there were soooo many fish out there we need to get back on them asap.

[​IMG]

Capt. Terry Nugent
    Riptide Charters
    Riptide Charters

2. Billiam

Billiam Moderator

Well done on the >{))>
    & Great report, I'm still praying for weather to stay nice on my friday trip.

3. gman

gman Senior Member

nice to see that class of fish for the fishery in addition to the normal beasts being caught. nice report

4. r.sheker

r.sheker Member

why is it the people always gaff the fish by the body or the stomach?

5. Riptide

Riptide Banned

why is it the people always gaff the fish by the body or the stomach?

Pass through with a dart, not a gaff shot. Fish was darted in the upper shoulder just behind the gill on the other side, that the exit hole of the dart. The slit behind the peck fin was for bleeding the fish out.

6. nikonfme

nikonfme Senior Member

Pass through with a dart, not a gaff shot. Fish was darted in the upper shoulder just behind the gill on the other side, that the exit hole of the dart. The slit behind the peck fin was for bleeding the fish out.

Terry,
    Is that your choice location for the dart? I always try to avoid damaging any meat and try to nail it in the back of the head but that may not be a good location.

7. Riptide

Riptide Banned

Terry,
    Is that your choice location for the dart? I always try to avoid damaging any meat and try to nail it in the back of the head but that may not be a good location.

With a gaff I aim for the eyeball, that generally gets the gaff set somewhere bewtween the eye and the gill slit. Like this:
    [​IMG]

But with the dart / Poon I have always been concerned about penitration into the head. So I shoot for the gill slit and generally get the gill or front edge of the shoulder. The dart seems to hold well, the down side is a pass through can mess up some meat depending on the angler the dart passes through the fish.

Surprisingly though, on a pass through not as much meat is messed up as you might think. the dart makes a pretty clean flat cut like a knife stab. Then the dart "toggles" on the outside and lays flat against the fish's skin. Now if the dart does NOT go all the way through and it "toggles" inside the fish, it can look like an M80 went off in the loin. :(

8. Eastern Tackle

Eastern Tackle Senior Member

Switch to a halibut dart. I can't guarantee you wont have to worry about messing up the otoro, but they will go right through the headbone of 400#r like its not even there. and when it does, its over.

[​IMG]

Halibut Dart Stainless Steel

9. peterk814

peterk814 Senior Member

you dart it where you dart it. getting the fish into the boat is the priority, every fish has a different story of how it came to the boat. Lots of time they come up sideways already tired and beat. Some are green as hell and you gotta make the best shot possible. 99.9% of fish caught on this board is destined to be consumed by the fisherman in this case losing a slice or two of toro is not really that big of a deal.

If your commercial fishing for giants where a shot through the belly can mean the difference between 10/lb vs 40/lb is where you really need to care.

10. Riptide

Riptide Banned

Switch to a halibut dart. I can't guarantee you wont have to worry about messing up the otoro, but they will go right through the headbone of 400#r like its not even there. and when it does, its over.

[​IMG]

Halibut Dart Stainless Steel

ET can you tell us some more about the dart? I looked at going with a Stainless Steel conventional looking dart to get a better edge on the tip, but was told to stay with the old school bronze dart and lightly hone the first 2/3rds of the dart. For body shots its worked well, but I'm currious about the hallibut dart.

I will say the Poon harpoon does get some serious penitration, but I have to admit that dart in your pic its pretty interesting.

11. peterk814

peterk814 Senior Member

terry,
    you can find them on ebay frequently. I think you get a better hold with the traditional arrow type heads.

12. d-a

d-a Senior Member

ET can you tell us some more about the dart? I looked at going with a Stainless Steel conventional looking dart to get a better edge on the tip, but was told to stay with the old school bronze dart and lightly hone the first 2/3rds of the dart. For body shots its worked well, but I'm currious about the hallibut dart.

I will say the Poon harpoon does get some serious penitration, but I have to admit that dart in your pic its pretty interesting.

Those darts are for head shots, not body shots. Your useing the best dart for body shots. If your worried about wasted meet then the halibut darts are the ticket, but you need to make sure you hit them in the head or gill plate.

d-a

13. word-doctor

word-doctor Senior Member

Queeg Queeg don't need no technology.

Attached Files:

14. Riptide

Riptide Banned

Thanks for the clarification guys. I'll stick with whats been working, since we are not sellnig fish and they are quite large what little meat gets damaged we will have to keep for the fish cleaners personal nibblin :D

15. gman

gman Senior Member

I know a captain in Florida who use a dart just like the one Jim listed, they use it for sharks and swords and says it penetrates much better even through Mako

When I saw it on my trip I was puzzled because I had never seen a poon head like that

16. nikonfme

nikonfme Senior Member

Interesting that you hone the first 2/3rds. I hone the dart all the way on one side only then flip it over and hone the opposite side. I am told that way it punctures on an angle and is very hard to come out of the fish that way.

Peter, I think we all know darting the tuna and getting it into the boat is priority one. I'm just asking, given the choice, where is the best location to dart a tuna. You obviously want to avoid any vital organs IF you can and even when nailing the gill plate, you will start the bleeding process.

17. Eastern Tackle

Eastern Tackle Senior Member

ET can you tell us some more about the dart?

It's what I used commercially. But I head shot every tuna but one. The one that I body shot landed right behind the pec fin where you would cut one to bleed it and it opened in the stomach cavity. When I dressed it, I just pulled it out with the gut pack.

Once you try it, you won't ever go back. But then there are those that know a lot better than me.;) I would take my input with a grain of salt.

18. Billiam

Billiam Moderator

I wonder if my speargun will work just fine... :confused:

19. Albiemanmike

Albiemanmike Senior Member

I just picked up a Poon Harpoon today and I must say they are some quality machined parts but man did it cost some ching! I already had some dart heads so all I had to do was rig up some rope to the dart head and to the Poon handle so I don't lose $300 worth of harpoon when it finally does get some use. My question is does all of your dart heads fit loosely in the end of the steel shaft that goes in the end of the poon handle??? If so how do you keep the dart head in place until you hit the fish with it, I assume you hold the rope tight against the shaft which is fine if you are doing a jab but what if you want to make a throw with it for longer distance shots??? Or is it advisable to just always do a jab and never make a throw with the poon?? This being my first poon I am a bit behind the curve.

I saw those straight head poon darts on one of the other websites that sells harpoons and accessories. It seemed to me that it was really a better design than the old school bronze dart with tail fins like I have. It has a swivel point so that it will "toggle" when you shoot through and through so I would think it would work just as good if not better as there is much less surface area on the dart to penetrate the fish.

The other thing they had at the shop where I bought the poon was a bang stick. That was a pretty cool piece of equipment as well. That thing was a little over $200 bucks and made by Reliable. I was wondering if they use a standard shotgun shell in them or just a blank shell with no shot in it???

20. nikonfme

nikonfme Senior Member

I just picked up a Poon Harpoon today and I must say they are some quality machined parts but man did it cost some ching! I already had some dart heads so all I had to do was rig up some rope to the dart head and to the Poon handle so I don't lose $300 worth of harpoon when it finally does get some use. My question is does all of your dart heads fit loosely in the end of the steel shaft that goes in the end of the poon handle??? If so how do you keep the dart head in place until you hit the fish with it, I assume you hold the rope tight against the shaft which is fine if you are doing a jab but what if you want to make a throw with it for longer distance shots??? Or is it advisable to just always do a jab and never make a throw with the poon?? This being my first poon I am a bit behind the curve.

I saw those straight head poon darts on one of the other websites that sells harpoons and accessories. It seemed to me that it was really a better design than the old school bronze dart with tail fins like I have. It has a swivel point so that it will "toggle" when you shoot through and through so I would think it would work just as good if not better as there is much less surface area on the dart to penetrate the fish.

The other thing they had at the shop where I bought the poon was a bang stick. That was a pretty cool piece of equipment as well. That thing was a little over $200 bucks and made by Reliable. I was wondering if they use a standard shotgun shell in them or just a blank shell with no shot in it???

I have the same one and also purchased the wire connected dart for the occational mako:D Just pull the dart tight and wrap some masking tape around the rope and up rhe poon shaft. It rips away easy.