East Coast style Tuna Fishing

Discussion in 'Videos' started by ksong, Jan 23, 2008.

1. Bret

Bret Senior Member

Man, he put that tuna in the boat pretty quick...

2. SpecialK

SpecialK Super Moderator

Thanks for posting that Kil! That looks liek a great time. I can't wait to get after som Tuna:)

3. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

4. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

I posted it as I miss tuna fishing already. :)

5. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

I do also. When is your next trip?

6. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

I am thinking about fishing Midnight Lumps when tuna bites are getting hot, but there has been no consistant bites yet.
    Maybe I got to wait until May for tuna fishing.

I am heading down to Fort Myers, Fl for 43 hour trip to Dry Tortugas for snapper and grouper fishing Friday. They caught nice groupers on their last trip and I hope I can land a grouper over 40 lbs on jigs.

7. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

Keep in touch with Captian Eddie and he'll let you know when it's hot.
    I'm seeing a number of request for last minute anglers for the Lump on 2cool.

8. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Keep in touch with Captian Eddie and he'll let you know when it's hot.
    I'm seeing a number of request for last minute anglers for the Lump on 2cool.
    When fishing is hot, we know it as the fishing reports are all over the websites. :)

9. SpecialK

SpecialK Super Moderator

There may still be one open spot on our GOM trip feb 1st-3rd.

10. lite-liner

lite-liner troll enforcement Staff Member

Kil: I was down there a couple weeks ago, & it was just coming on.
    I'm sure you read the report. it seems to be getting better, but my question is... Why so late this year? seems the tuna were late up and down the gulf coast this year!
    -Brian

11. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

I am not sure it is late or not many tuna move into the areas. I hope the run is late this winter. It seems tuna run at the Lumps get worse every year.

12. Pope

Pope Senior Member

I am only half way through the video, but MAN these guys need to practice with a gaff! Thanks for the video kil.

13. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

I am only half way through the video, but MAN these guys need to practice with a gaff!
    I was not impressed either. Gaffing tuna near head is not difficult on a small boat if you don't hurry.

14. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

I am not sure it is late or not many tuna move into the areas. I hope the run is late this winter. It seems tuna run at the Lumps get worse every year.

There has been a serious depletion of Bluefin tuna and I expect one for yellowfin also.

15. CaptEddie

CaptEddie Site Sponsor

I havent noticed fewer yellowfin off venice in the last 5 years or so although the lump in particular has good and bad years.

16. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

gaffing on a party boat is tougher - but many party boat deckhands are younger kids who don't have a lot of experience which contributes to the loin gaffing.

I've only been to the lump once, but was very impressed with the quantity of life in general out there. In all the times I've been to the canyons in the NE, I rarely see the amount of life I did when I was at the lump.

17. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

I havent noticed fewer yellowfin off venice in the last 5 years or so although the lump in particular has good and bad years.
    I think the stock of yellowfin in Gulf of Mexico is still sound. I am talking about big yellowfin over 100 lbs at the Lumps in winter.
    Didn't you notice any slow down of big yellowfin at the Lumps in recent years ?
    I hope it is a just good year and bad year thing. I observe most fish including yellowfin have instinct to go back to the same areas like salmon though the extent is different among species and it seems the fishing pressure in the small areas for years finally paid its toll. I was going down to Venice as soon as fishing was consistantly hot past three winters, but I didn't get any chance.

18. jaredchasteen

jaredchasteen Senior Member

Update.... The bruisers are at the lump. i have even heard reports of the elusive hammerfins being thick.lol

The days of 5 fish over 150 are over however. But when 150 fish eat chum off the swim step i would say it was on.

19. peterk814

peterk814 Senior Member

kil we gotta document some of the hot tuna bites on partyboats on the east coast.