East Coast is hot with bluefin.

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by ksong, Jul 27, 2009.

1. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

I have been saying all along East Coast has tuna fishery which can match anywhere. We have excellent inshore bluefin fishery as well as good yellowfin/longfin offshore in canyons though our season is short.
    See what happens now. You catch 150 -200 lbs bluefin on poppers/jigs in Cape Cod only a few miles off beaches.
    My friend just called me that he had hot jigging bites around Lobster Claw off Cape May, NJ Saturday. He had seven hooks up with 100 pounders all on JM Ailen 200g jigs and Seven Seas Hooker jig by jigging just over an hour.

We had terrible cayon tuna last year, but it was an exception. We see lots of small yellowfin in 20 - 50 lbs at canyons now and I can predict what will happen in nex few years when the small yft grow up as we see lots of big bluefin this year.
    That is why I don't want to go anywhere from June to the end Oct and catch tuna locally.

2. gman

gman Senior Member

Im trying to go wednesday jigging in Cape May what color alien jigs. I saw them they are really nice jigs

3. txseadog

txseadog Moderator

That is why I don't want to go anywhere from June to the end Oct and catch tuna locally.

How does the fishing change over the course of the season? Several of us have trip planned for mid-October and I'm just wondering what to expect at that time of year. Are they usually further offshore then or still close to the beach?

4. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

Attached Files:

5. north coast

north coast Senior Member

How does the fishing change over the course of the season? Several of us have trip planned for mid-October and I'm just wondering what to expect at that time of year. Are they usually further offshore then or still close to the beach?

Although this has been exceptional year so far,I don't usually even start chasing them till mid to late sept. If the start of this season is any indicator mid oct. should be on fire.:)

I landed one last year 1 week before thanksgiving.

6. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Im trying to go wednesday jigging in Cape May what color alien jigs. I saw them they are really nice jigs

Glenn, I didn't sell JM Alien jigs for tuna as I never try them for tuna myself.
    One customer picked them as he wanted to test them. So I gave 200g Ailen jigs as I seldom jig for tuna over 8 inch jigs.

There were four jig fishermen on the boat. My friend used Alien 200g jig and had 3 - 4 hookups immedialtely and three more on Seven Seas Hooker 220g jigs while three other guys had one hookup togethere with other jigs like williamson or Shimano Butterfly jigs. The only hookup they had was on 8 oz hammered diamond jig. My friend say all hookups were when he jigged with Japanese style fast cranking/jerking.
    I think I gave him siver/pink and glow jigs.

7. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Bluefin popping usully slow down when water temp goes up in summer and pick up again from Sept when water temp start to cool down and Oct is the prime month, but weather can be a problem. they catch bluefin in same areas in the fall as they catch now.
    This is exceptional year for big bluefin and you never know what will happen next year.