360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· SPONSOR
11,866 Posts
Kill,

We have to cast to the edge of the light, I would say about +- 60 yards.
I can't cast that far with my conventional setup, luckily Rick loan me a spinner.
Hmmm.... I got to make a decision whether I bring a spinning reel setup or not. If I use 50 - 60 lbs line, I could cast 60-70 yard on conventional reel, but I don't like to use light lines on a party boat. :)

I just posted on Allcoast a picture of your wife fighting a tuna on Saltiga spinning reel . :)

· SPONSOR
11,866 Posts
Kil,

I would suggest you bring the spinner with you, it's much easier to cast and you don't have to worry about backlash in the middle of hot bite. JMO.
I think you are right.
I always like to fish away from crowd whether I catch or not. :)
I hope tuna cruise around the boat on my Big E trip.
I constantly cast anyway even I use jigs. :) I am going to bring Yozuri Surface Cruiser and Bull GT with me when I go on an overnight tuna trip tomorrow and test how far I can cast with those poppers on a conventional reel. :)

· SPONSOR
11,866 Posts
Ksong, I would take the spinner to let you have the option of using it. I can cast a popper pretty good until the deck is too crowded with topwater fishermen. Then I become more apprehensive and backlash whenever I adjust my cast. IMO, a good spinner will consistantly outperform (on the big E) an open face reel unless you have phenomenal casting skill. The further beyond the lights, the more time you are in the strike zone. When lined with spectra, the poppers are much easier to pop. Its all that simple. I did all right on the top water, landing 3 fish and "tagging" a 4th with a large gaff on my first 2 drifts. However, I became more apprehensive with soo many people pitching poppers. I also had bad timing and did not fish topwaters on the 2 most incredible drifts. My friends from Ohio used my spinner (an old Daiwa Emblem 5500 ZA) and did well.
Thanks for the offer.
I just came back from an overnight tuna trip out of Cape Cod. Night bites were almost non-existent to my surprise. We decided to jig instead of trolling daytime. It was a quite sight to see 21 guys jigged together. This might be the first try in the world a tuna party boat jig tuna exclusively. :)
We caught 9 tuna, mostly 30-40 lbs longfin, in two hours. All tuna except one caught on slow up/down jigging motion. One tuna were caught on Shimano's short Butterfly jig with fast jerk/crank technique.
I casted Yozuri's Surface GT Bull on Saltist40 for a while and I barely could cast 50 - 60 yard. :( Not good enough. I tried to minimize rods and reels for the Big E trip, but I have no choice,but to bring spinning gear setup. :)

· SPONSOR
11,866 Posts
kil,

That's so cool, 21 guys jigging? One of these day we should book a jigging only trip LOL. How many did you catch?

I am glad you are bringing your spinner
I hooked up four and landed only one. :( I experiment new jigs on each trip and discovered a few excellent tuna jigs. :)

· SPONSOR
11,866 Posts
One more thought. I just finished watching a Japanese jigging video Randy sent me. I didn't understand a word, but I picked up some great tips by watching the way they jig. Fisherman in the US have a lot to learn from the Japanese. They really have the jigging to a science. Maybe I'll take a two hour crash course in Japanese and watch the video again.

One thing that bothers me about the Big E is the gaffing. I'm a head gaffer, and body gaffs offend me. I hate to waste a good eating fish to improper gaffing.

I noticed the Japanese don't use gaffs. They have these big nets to scoop up the fish. That makes for no holes in the skin and a perfect eating fish. The fish on the video were no bigger than about 40 pounds and the boat they were fishing on was not as high off the water as the Big E. I'm wondering if I have a big net fabricated with a long handle would the deckhands even attempt to use it. I don't mind spending a few hundred bucks getting the net made to support up to a 100 pound tuna. Am I wasting my time with this idea?

How long are the gaffs they use on the Big E, and where do they store them?
I used to use a big net when I intended to release tuna.
But when tuna are over 80 lbs, you'd better make a special net for them. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.