360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner

durability of P.R. knot?

2K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  BretABaker 
#1 ·
So I have the tieing it part down perfect but I gotta wonder if it passing back and forth through the guides over and over will wear on the spectra and weaken it? How much use do yall get out of one knot before retieing?

G
#2 ·
ive never had one break....so i use it until the leader is too short and i want a longer leader. i super glue whichever closing knot i use. the no half-hitch method is nice and not very difficult. it more or less closes with a nail knot. i just super glue that part.

#3 ·
the no half-hitch method is nice and not very difficult. it more or less closes with a nail knot. i just super glue that part.

Thanks Bret! Thats the one I've been tieing and I have been using superglue. I just didnt know if I needed to keep an eye on it on my first trip out if I spend the whole night casting.

G
#4 ·
eh, i mean, i only keep an eye on it if it totally unwraps. otherwise i dont really bother.

another method you can try is a shorter leader (3 feet or so) and just tie to a barrel swivel. if you're popping most of the line is out of the water anyway so its not a big issue.

#5 ·
eh, i mean, i only keep an eye on it if it totally unwraps. otherwise i dont really bother.

another method you can try is a shorter leader (3 feet or so) and just tie to a barrel swivel. if you're popping most of the line is out of the water anyway so its not a big issue.

Thats how I was doing it but it seems at some point in the darkness I would always suprise myself by running the swivel up in the eyes. Especially jigging. I should be good to go.

#6 ·
The PR knot is known to start coming undone or fray at the half hitches of the knot when passing through the guides. Some kind of glue on it will lessen it but eventually will start happening. I have casted the knot to where all the half hitches have come undone and only the serves were holding and the knot still held. I did redo it when I noticed.

I have my line setup with 2-3 wraps of leader on my spool and 4-5 foot out from tip.

#8 ·
How often do you have to retie the Page Ranking knot because of it coming unravelled?

Depends on how well you tied the original one, I can cast all night and not have to retie. I generally tie a new one each day before I get started fishing

d-a

#9 ·
Depends on how well you tied the original one, I can cast all night and not have to retie. I generally tie a new one each day before I get started fishing

d-a
I do the same. I have noticed that using the uni type finish out seems to last me a lot longer then the half hitches... Plus the half hitches are a pain IMO.

#11 ·
I do the same. I have noticed that using the uni type finish out seems to last me a lot longer then the half hitches... Plus the half hitches are a pain IMO.

I agree, tying the uni to close the knot works well. See my thread on the PR knot to see video of how to close the knot with uni.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.