DSH Pelican Trip 10/1/08

Discussion in 'Offshore Fishing Reports' started by gimmedeal, Nov 3, 2008.

1. gimmedeal

gimmedeal Senior Member

How do I start? This is a trip that Bobby (Awesum) hooked me up with last year after I missed one to the Nov/Dec Pelican trips. It was a private charter that Art Gipping (hope I got the spelling right) had booked. I asked Art when he phoned if he had 2 spots open and he told me that he did.
    My best fishing partner is Dusty Peed. He helped me rebuid my boat and anytime the Gimmedeal went out Dusty was on it for a couple of seasons. However, my boat really didn't have floater range, not that the logistics hadn't been worked out. It's just that a 23'er with twins shouldn't be venturing that far out. Dusty has worked with me and for me in the Austin Police Dept for several years and fished with me many times but he had never got a yellowfin. This trip was set up to give him a shot at one.

Anyway, the weather came through and I loaded gear for Dusty and I for the trip. I meant to keep gear to a minimum and we each took a casting, jigging and chunking rig. One bag of tackle and my jig bag. When we got to Port A we found out that this trip was to be the Old Farts Special. Dusty is 40 and I'm 58. We were the 2 youngest fishermen on the trip. Art is 78 and others on the boat were 80 or older. It was a humbling experience, let me tell you. None of the fishermen asked for help or needed it. Pretty impressive and I hope that when I'm their age I be able to hold up my end of the log as well as they do.

Anyway, the plan for the trip was very similar to the trip the trip that Rich took a few days before. Capt John wasn't in charge but on board as the fishing coordinator. Also Keith was one of the deckhands. Sea conditions wer just about perfect with 2 to 3 foot rollers and about a 10 mph breeze. John told me that the 48 hour thing was really misnamed and it should be called a floater tuna trip. Their intent is to get to Boudreaux and work hard for tuna. We'd come back in 48 hours or when we made limits (filled the boxes). They had an additional portable box with them this trip.

We stopped on the way out and tried a few rigs for livies but the cupboard was pretty bare and we only had a hanfull. We lit it up and headed out to make Boudreaux before dark.The next stop was at the capped well. It looks like a big yellow tank with just 3 lights on top. We pulled lures until mahi hooked up and then they freelined sardines. we caught maybe a dozen nice mahi this way. Then we set up a drift of the same rig for tuna. The initial direction was to chunk and freeline sardines. Several YF were caught but Dusty and I were still striking out and I wet up to cast with a Shimano Caranx rod and Dsutry with an OTI 7 1/2 80. I threw Shibukis, Baby Runbohs, and one of the yozuri Sashimi sliders with without ant success. Dusty ended up having problems, getting several wind knots on the Stella 16000f. He retired the rod with knot problems. Dusty was still without his YF and probably 10 had been landed by other fishermen. One of the deckies had been getting some action on a popper and I tied on a Yozuri popper with a light colored bottom and a lavender flying fish pattern. I handed the rod to Dusty and told him to give this a try. After only a few casts he got a blowup and ended up with his first YF, a nice 90lb fish. That rod and lure combo ended up being responsible for our limits even after the lure had cracked down the middle, lost an eye, shed most of its paint and went from being a topwater to a slow sinker.

I normally jig like a madman but jigging only produced blackfin so I did very little on this trip.

The trip ended up with limits of YF of good quality, probably 60+lb average. 2 or 3 looked to be 90+ with one pushing 100. All the boxes were full at around 3 am and we headed back.

We fished both the capped well and the lit up producing platform to catch the fish. There are LOTS of tuna at Boudreaux. The lures that seemed to work best were the poppers and Frenzy flyers with a good number of fish caught freelining sardines. Live flyers were caught and a few YF were caught on them but blackfin were hitting em pretty quick too.

I'll post pics of the catch up when I get a chance. We caught fewer football YF and fewer mahi than Rich's trip. Our YF catch looks to be significantly better though.

Fred

rtran likes this.
  2. txcards

txcards Senior Member

The "capped well" is a spar that has been moored, but the topsides of the platform have not been installed yet. The Clyde Boudreaux is drilling wells that will tie back into that spar:D

3. awesum

awesum Senior Member

Fred .... It's good to hear that you and Dusty did good. Like you missing last year it turned out that I had a conflict and couldn't go this year. Hopefully we can both go on the next one.

I had already talked to both Art Jippings and my friend Richard about this trip. They were on the trip that went out Tuesday also and according to Richard the fact he got five (5) good Mahi's made that trip the better of the two for him.

On this trip he said his three Yellowfins weighed 61, 71 and 81 according to the fish cleaners scales.

I agree that I hope i can still do this when I am their age. These guys have even done 7 day trips in San Diego not long ago.

Bobby

4. Formula4Fish

Formula4Fish Senior Member

Hey Fred...

Send me your email address.

Anybody know this guy???

[​IMG]

5. Formula4Fish

Pelican - Nobel Clyde Boudreaux - Nov 02

Here's the catch...

[​IMG]

6. rtran

rtran Senior Member

LOL great trip Fred. Seems we had same situation. Hope the YFT start coming up top when it cools down more.

Seems small poppers were the ticket once again. I'm stuck on "bigger lure, bigger fish"

7. rtran

rtran Senior Member

On this trip he said his three Yellowfins weighed 61, 71 and 81 according to the fish cleaners scales.

So you know of the older gentleman Richard? I think the 81 was the one I help put on deck for him.
    He had a whole mess of fish after the trip.

Fred, did you get any pictures of your tuna on the boat?

Rich

8. Formula4Fish

So you know of the older gentleman Richard?
    Rich

Yeah rtran,

I believe you're referring to Richard Cornelison. He and his brother Ed were both aboard.

Richard

[​IMG]

Ed

[​IMG]

9. rtran

rtran Senior Member

Those guys be catching fish!

10. marshall7100

marshall7100 Guest

the only trip i run on the "pelican" is a "floater" trip. it used to be called a 48hr 2 years ago. if some in the store still refers to the trip that way i apologize. if we leave the dock i promise we are going to the "floaters" to fish. i only plan on staying 33-38 hours on this trip, but i have and will stay for up to 50hrs. the "pelican" is a small vessel with a small number of crewmembers for such an endeavor... 156 miles offshore in the gulf of mexico in the fall. the weather is unpredictable this time of year, generally only a couple days a week are favorable for such a trip. i will give you everything i got out there, but i will not stay in bad weather, and if we load the boat with fish i am coming home. if the weather is good and we suck, i'm staying. i don't want anyone to feel they got ripped off because of the length of the trip. this is what i offer. if you are interested give us a call.
    thank you! capt. john brennan

11. rtran

rtran Senior Member

the only trip i run on the "pelican" is a "floater" trip. it used to be called a 48hr 2 years ago. if some in the store still refers to the trip that way i apologize. if we leave the dock i promise we are going to the "floaters" to fish. i only plan on staying 33-38 hours on this trip, but i have and will stay for up to 50hrs. the "pelican" is a small vessel with a small number of crewmembers for such an endeavor... 156 miles offshore in the gulf of mexico in the fall. the weather is unpredictable this time of year, generally only a couple days a week are favorable for such a trip. i will give you everything i got out there, but i will not stay in bad weather, and if we load the boat with fish i am coming home. if the weather is good and we suck, i'm staying. i don't want anyone to feel they got ripped off because of the length of the trip. this is what i offer. if you are interested give us a call.

Thanks for clearing that up for us Capt John.

12. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

Captian John,
    Nobody who knows you or has fished with you would ever think you gave less than 110% to find fish. You earn every slim nickle on these trips.

13. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

thanks for clearing that up and understanding our concern as to trip length.

congrats on the great recent trips.

14. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

Well said Capt Brennan. I went on a charter this year with you on the Tica Rica. It was a very pleasant experience. You fish hard and have a friendly personality. You are calm, even tempered, and like able. To bad everyone in life isn't that way.

I've chartered many boats over the years. To me, a Capt that doesn't care about catching fish and just takes you out for a long boat ride is unacceptable. Unfortunately, just like in all other professions, there are a lot of Capt's. world wide that just consider it a job and have no people skills.

There are also those Capt's that love their chosen profession. It shows both in their attitude and fish released or unloaded at the dock. You are one of those. If fact, the guy I took with me told me that you were the friendliest Capt he had ever had on a charter. It was an enjoyable experience fishing with you and rest assure, I will be back.

15. STx Fisherman

STx Fisherman Senior Member

Captain John Brennan is certainly a legend down Port A way.
    Congrats on the great trip Capt. John.

16. Formula4Fish

17. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

fred, glad you guys had a good trip. waiting on pics dude. whats up with the lump man. pm me.

18. NEMO

NEMO Member

John I'm glad your back, your the best Cpt. I have ever fished with. Jim and I chartered the Gulf Eagle next week for a floater, do you know who the Cpt. will be? Last year Nate was the Cpt. and did a great job, hope to see you on the Dock.

SaltWater Cowboys

19. Bellyups

Bellyups Senior Member

I have always enjoyed fishing with Captn John Brennan. Not only does he put you on fish and has the right bait, but he has a great attitude.

20. Fishhead56

Fishhead56 Senior Member

Trip schedule,,,,,,,, Go for fish, catch fish, return...
    No dolphin waching. No clock watching.
    Just right..

K2