DSH New Pelican Oct. 29-31 Report

Discussion in 'Offshore Fishing Reports' started by rtran, Nov 1, 2008.

1. rtran

rtran Senior Member

Seas were 2-3 feet; it was like a lake out there. Wind never really picked up above 15 mph. My goal this trip was to try out sub surface lures and more jigging with hammered diamond jig. I met a few new guys on this trip and had a great time. The boat is nice for fisherman and moves fairly quickly. It has enough bunks for 12 people but no tables. They put coolers under the benches outside. There is no freshwater or shower. The boat is also equipped with some penn casting gear and accurate 665 and 870 for jigging/casting/chunking. Here are some pictures of the boat.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    As we started out trip we made one bait stop and picked up some bait fish. They were caught on sabiki. Once we filled some of the live well up we headed our way to Jean Bondreax. There is a spar near the rig and that is what we went to first. It was just about dark now. On our first drift the boat freelined flying fish lure just like live bait. I put a tuna into the boat quickly after having getting hit on the flying fish lure.
    [​IMG]
    Soon after the flying fish gets hit again and this time a rod is handed off to my buddy Larry who is tuna virgin. He soon boats a nice tuna in good time.
    http://www.360tuna.com/gallery/.gldata/1/1/9/6/larrytuna_original.jpg
    All around the boat everyone starts putting nice tuna on the deck from live bait and flying fish lures on this drift. I started casting shibuki with no luck. Top water bite seems very slow. It was kind of warm and no live flying fish on top. But I continues to try and switch lure to 180 blue sinking tailwalk guns. Even though the top water looked dead I looked around and took my time before decided where is good spot to start blind casting. BAM! A nice tuna hits my lure and I bring him to the boat very quickly with OTI rod and stella. Estimate 70-80lb. As it came boat side, frantic mates with gaffs scared the tuna and it decided to run and the hook pulled. My most tense moment is always when tuna are boatside – I believe it’s the moment you will lose fish most as tuna running from boat side are more intense or gaffs are missed. We drifted this spar maybe once or twice more before making a move to the Jean Bondeauz rig. I did not get any more subface hook ups after this. I decided to jig as maybe they were holding below. I jigged up a few football blackfin with hammered diamond jig around 75-100 feet with saltiga 40. They got hit on the drop everytime and I just cranked them up with no effort with the saltiga. The gearing is powerful.

Now we head to Bondeaux and the bright lights got me excited as I felt the tuna bite was about to go off. Keep in mind its still early around 9-10pm and sun went down not too long ago. Everyone start chunking and people starting hooking up with good size tuna around 60-80lb. I was surprised at how every tuna boated was good size and each came with 5 minutes. All the tuna ran toward the boat. I did not chunk and decided to jig this time because of everyone getting hit on chunk. My weapon of choice was my saltiga 40 on oti 80lb rod and jigging master 500g rod with Alutecnos Gorilla 12. Jig were hammered diamond jig and 200g-300g glow OTI jumbo. I started far down around 175 feet and worked up the column to try to find the fish. They were at 75-125 feet and scattered. 9 out of 10 drops I did managed a football blackfin or yellowfin on both type of jig I used. OTI glow seemed to produce more football yellow fin. Most hit on drop and technique was yo yo. Neither of my jigging outfits got a good bend on this trip. There was one bust off I had with hammered diamond jig, I think maybe it was a wahoo because it was so fast. When I dropped after that again with another hammered diamond jig I came up with a football blackfin with the tail ate off. I dropped again and this time I come up with a blackfin with big teeth mark on its body – mark from yellow fin! I kept dropping but football black and yellows kept hitting the jig and not big tuna as I wanted. As I took a break I decided to cast next drift. A blue 180 tailwalk guns was on and on the drift we saw some weed line that held MANY dorado. I casted by the weeds and instant hook up with a dorado. It was around 10lb? My second cast, BAM! Yellowfin as I saw its side flash me on initial run. This tuna came boatside quickly under 5 minutes also.
    http://www.360tuna.com/gallery/.gldata/1/1/9/6/tailwalkdorado_original.jpghttp://www.360tuna.com/gallery/.gldata/1/1/9/6/tailwalktuna_original.jpg
    The tuna bite seemed to slow on chunk/topwater but jigging still produced but not many jigged. It was dead now, no more blind casting or jigging from me as it was wasted energy. We drifted around the rig to try to put more fish in the box and picked off the dorado. The 180 blue tailwalk was considered retired and I put it in the box as it lost a lot of its finish from only 3 fish. Since we were going for dorado now, the choice of lure was silver smith baby runboh. First cast 3 dorado followed my lure and I worked lured toward the biggest one. BAM! Hook up and this dorado makes a good 25 feet run left, then right 25 feet, then left 10 feet and nice jump. I go up/under about 7 people before ending at the back of the boat tangled with one angler. Mate gaffed the fish and put him in the boat as he tried to clear tangle. He took the lure out of the fish and grabbed the leader to the fish while my lure dangled wrapped around the other anglers line. I think mate meant to grab the leader to my lure and when he cut it my smith baby runboh fell to the deep blue. He looked at me and I looked at him and we just stared at each other as we both knew he made a mistake. This is the dorado caught from the smith runboh. I wish I could have used it more to see how the finish held up on the lure.
    http://www.360tuna.com/gallery/.gldata/1/1/9/6/smithdorado_original.jpg
    I jigged more football blackfin and yellowfin before giving up on the big one and deciding to wait for morning tuna bite. As I waiting, anglers still picked off tuna on live sardines and chunk. One fisherman named Richard, an older gentleman, was fighting a tuna and had stale mate with it. He was very tired and could not do it any longer and decided to hand off the rod. Captain John gives me the rod to finish the fish. When I got the rod/reel I noticed lines going out easily. I fought the tuna for about 3 minutes before pulling the lines to see if drag was set good. It was very low and this was cause of angler fatigue. The reel was Trinidad 40 with high gear loaded with 60lb test with a rod that I was unsure the rating. I didn’t want to break his rod as it bended fairly easily and since it was 60lb lines I tightened the star drag down and worked the fish by pulling straight up and down trying to bring the fish to the surface. It worked and he was rewarded with a tuna estimated 80-90lb. One of the bigger tuna landed. He was a happy angler and thanked me. Everyone else decides to keep picking at the dorado with circle hooks and sardines. As morning comes we see tuna start flying out of the sea chasing flying fish. Big 80-100lb - Great! Start casting but they are not interested in shibuki/tailwalk/or any poppers! NOOO! Greg/txcards has been very persistent in catching a yellowfin on popper all trip and continued to do so after many hours of blind casting with oti and yo zuri poppers. I had given him a bigger set of hooks(owner st-66 3/0) for his yo zuri earlier in the trip. He was at the back of the boat chasing the tuna around the boat trying to cast to them with his yo zuri. Other anglers were still chasing dorado. I told him to pop a little slower and that was the key. As I watched him, a good tuna hits his popper. The side of the whole tuna could been seen and it was the most amazing strike I’ve seen. The tuna fought for a little bit before floating up sideways. It had the hooks in its mouth and eye and was in shock. As the mates gaffed it the tuna woke and tried to run for its last chance but it was too late as another mate stuck another gaff to seal the deal. Greg is now a happy angler after long hours of casting with no luck he is rewarded. Congratulations Greg on first yellow fin on popper.
    http://www.360tuna.com/gallery/.gldata/1/1/9/6/gregtuna_original.jpg
    After Greg’s fish the choice was to head in as fish boxes were pretty much full. 33 tunas and many dorado.
    http://www.360tuna.com/gallery/.gldata/1/1/9/6/final1_original.jpghttp://www.360tuna.com/gallery/.gldata/1/1/9/6/final2_original.jpg
    http://www.360tuna.com/gallery/.gldata/1/1/9/6/final3_original.jpg

2. fonz

fonz Member

3. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

nice report rich....greg told me you guys had a nice trip, even with all the loin gaffs...;)

4. rtran

rtran Senior Member

nice report rich....greg told me you guys had a nice trip, even with all the loin gaffs...;)

haha, yea. didnt mention that.

gaffs of death

5. STx Fisherman

STx Fisherman Senior Member

Wow....looks like you had a great time on this trip. Congrats and thanks for the great pictures!

Can't wait to hear the report on the trip that is out right now. (I think that they come back on Monday morning).

6. rtran

rtran Senior Member

Wow....looks like you had a great time on this trip. Congrats and thanks for the great pictures!

Can't wait to hear the report on the trip that is out right now. (I think that they come back on Monday morning).

Yea Fred/Gimmedeal called me and told me they had a trip going out Sat.
    You are right, they should be back Monday but on our trip we came back early since the fish boxes were just about full.

7. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

i just ate some of greg's mahi (and tuna) last night. i ate some sashimi (about 10 pieces) and another piece grilled with cajun seasoning. as always, sashimi is much better.

if youve never had mahi sashimi i recommend it. its very sweet

i was gonna take pictures but ate it too quick since it was so good.

8. BAOSABI

BAOSABI Senior Member

Awesome report Rich. I'm hoping that we will run into a mess of Mahis like that.

What kind of flying fish lure did you use to free-line? Frenzys or Yummi?

9. rtran

rtran Senior Member

i just ate some of greg's mahi (and tuna) last night. i ate some sashimi (about 10 pieces) and another piece grilled with cajun seasoning. as always, sashimi is much better.

if youve never had mahi sashimi i recommend it. its very sweet

i was gonna take pictures but ate it too quick since it was so good.

When we were sorting fish at the dock Greg mysteriously lost 1 tuna. I gave him one of mine as it could not fit my cooler. I'll send more tuna your way next trip. =)

Awesome report Rich. I'm hoping that we will run into a mess of Mahis like that.

What kind of flying fish lure did you use to free-line? Frenzys or Yummi?

I believe they were frenzy because of blue hook.

10. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

yeah he told me the story of the missing yellowfin. ridiculous. i also liked his stories of the guys who were using 8lbs of drag lol

11. Cudakilla

Cudakilla Senior Member

Dayymmmm!! Great trip report and photos. Great job rtran. Hope we have good weather and fishing as you did.

12. BAOSABI

BAOSABI Senior Member

What color flyer? Blue, Pink, or Lumi?

13. fathom

fathom Lifetime Supporting Members

EXELLENT! MEAT HAUL!

14. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

You guys caught 46 dodo's. I know because one of the guys on the boat told me. He's back out again today on another 48 hour trip on the pelican. You guys caught a lot of fish. It will only get better for the next month as the water chills down.

15. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

Congratulations on a good trip.

16. JerseyBrian

JerseyBrian Senior Member

fantastic report Rich. Great job on the fish!

17. rtran

rtran Senior Member

Thanks for the compliments guys.

Bret, Greg reminds me so much of you and sometimes I caught myself calling him Bret. HA HA

18. rtran

rtran Senior Member

What color flyer? Blue, Pink, or Lumi?

Blue

I'd also like to add that the crew were great. The captains even came out and helped gaff and clear tangles though we did not have many. They are alot less tense and frantic than Big E mates.

19. ToneyC

ToneyC Senior Member

Great report,

You guys hammered the fish. Did you use any slip sinkers with the flying fish lures?

20. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

Who was the Capt on this trip?

21. bulllred

bulllred Senior Member

Nice report Rich.. I just got back to Miami today and will be posting some pics of the trip later.

An

22. rtran

rtran Senior Member

Nice report Rich.. I just got back to Miami today and will be posting some pics of the trip later.

An

I'm glad you made it back safely. It was fun fishing with you. Mahi man ha ha.