Drones.

Discussion in 'Everything Else' started by screaming_reel, Sep 4, 2017.

1. screaming_reel

screaming_reel At peace

Any one here use one regularly? pros, cons? Will they hold up to the salty environment? My intended use would be for scouting.

2. DenisB

DenisB Senior Member

DJI Phantom 4
    excellent imaging. a number of image parameters can be changed instantly in flight with this model.
    we use them for fish spotting..........very high resolution.
    ( image quality better then GoPro IMO ).
    Launch from boat & retrieve at sea ( catch in hand ).............as well as terrestrial nearshore use.
    would not buy less quality & not worth buying more.

If you have not used one before...........buy a cheapie & learn control first ( lost control & crashes can be expensive).

Hope that helps.

screaming_reel likes this.

3. screaming_reel

screaming_reel At peace

Thanks DB as always! Done some minor searches. There are a couple that are waterproof and land/floats on water. This looks interesting but not sure on video quality in flight mode as this would be the most important feature for my use. Don't really care about the high quality 4k after its plugged in to my cpu. I'm more interested in the high resolution in the field.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2017
  4. GARRIGA

GARRIGA Senior Member

If that thing can survive getting swamped by waves the applications are endless. Especially if they upgrade it to return to base on low fuel. With 2.5# payload may serve landbased bait fishing and lure fishermen. No more kayaking big baits out. Assuming the range is acceptable.

I especially like the top down viewing underwater afloat. In clear enough water that can serve to be extremely useful. The technology is only getting better.

5. porcha

porcha Broscientist

if i were spending the $1200+ on one of these phantom/mavic/splashdrone3 and was planning to do a lot of boat launches, follow the troll spread, spot redfish schools in the creek nearby etc...i'd get the splashdrone3 -- drones crash, a lot, these drones do fly themselves for the most part but if i know anything about fishing its that drama happens and i'd rather my drone float than sink

boss's brother lost his mavic to overhanging powerlines while chasing their boat, sunk like a rock

FWIW i fly the acrobatic racing drones, nothing at all like these GPS enhanced drones
    [​IMG]

this was me trying to film our 97% eclipse

screaming_reel likes this.
  6. DenisB

DenisB Senior Member

If you are using a drone to spot fish..................image quality & ability to manipulate the image in real time is everything.
    If it floats but has poor image its useless for its primary purpose.
    Cessna 336, Cessna Cutlass,Jabiru4, all commercial fishspotting aircraft..........now its a Phantom4 drone for 95% of the work...............and 5% of the annual cost.
    If we cannot see the available fish in real time we would not do it.
    we run our images direct to Iphone or Ipad for image quality

Best of luck with whatever you choose.

7. GARRIGA

GARRIGA Senior Member

Best part of that factory tour was the designer stating no one can compete with DJI. Im thinking it's only a matter of time before the premiere drone manufacturer decides water proof is a new revenue stream. Plus what is stopping that factory from selling excess to another buyer? Me thinks manufacturing in China best when you control the entire process vs visit some two years later to see what's happening. MR Wonderful would have some colorful dialogue were this venture presented.