360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Im plaining to go live bait drifting. Now I realized that I need Verry strong 3 way swivels. Can some one give me a link where to buy them ( the strong 3way swivels). Now I need to confirm my rigging method . Ill do a Snap swivel on top than 75cm FC line (which I need a sugestion which brand of fluorocarbon should I buy). Than Ill do a 3 wayswivel.From this 3 way swivel ill make a live bait rig which consists of 50cm than a hook.After that from the other end of the swivel Ill make another piece of FC which should be 85cm than a 80-200g lead. so with this system I should be ok right?

·
870 Posts
I'd can the 3ways, and use a regular swivel like a 500lb spro, ... Use a rubberband to attach the weight to your main line. Seaguar makes some of the finest floro or check out Blackwater.

·
1,262 Posts
I'ss second that, three ways, even if designed to be very heavy, are notorious for failing....more hassle than they are worth.

·
580 Posts
I'd can the 3ways, and use a regular swivel like a 500lb spro, ... Use a rubberband to attach the weight to your main line. Seaguar makes some of the finest floro or check out Blackwater.

For deep drops I was thinking about the changing this option to 15-20lb test line to the weight - main line or lighter lb test line that can snap off easily just incase your weight would get stuck. I find with rubber bands an nick can cut the rubber band easily.

GL and bring back pictures.

·
1,321 Posts
The 3 ways that are made from 2 swivels are strong.

Rite Angler Heavy Duty 3/Way 150 Lb.Test Amount 10: Shark River Mail Order

I don't know why you would use FC anywhere on the rig but for the hook leader. Main line to swivel, then FC of about 6 feet to hook. Then tie a lighter line 'breakaway' from third offset eye to the weight (so if it snags, you lose the weight, not the rig). THis gives you a single swivel strenght from main line to bait.

Seaguar is FC I use.

·
Site Sponsor
1,605 Posts
Is your goal to be on the bottom? Mid level? This falls into an area I have some success in. Here is my snapper/grouper setup for water up to 200'.

sinker slide(lets you change weight quickly) and a stopper bead

80# spro barrel swivel after that w/a palomar

terminal tackle when done

10/0 eagle claw 2400el(w/homemade offset) snelled on 60-120# flouro(depends on depth and species)

hook knot

improved clinch for other end of leader

whole deal ready to go

I'll start w/ about 5' of leader and adjust out to 15'( when anchored). I find that on the drift the length of leader doesn't make to much difference. 5' let's me retie once or twice if needed befor re-leadering. Hook your baits through the head as it will reduce spinning on the drop and you shouldn't have a big cluster [email protected]#$ by the time you hit the bottom.

·
Premium Member
5,803 Posts
why not try a dropper loop in the middle

the top end is tied to a heavy barrel swivel
the bottom end with a light/heavy sinker (depending
on current/depth )

·
Site Sponsor
1,605 Posts
why not try a dropper loop in the middle

the top end is tied to a heavy barrel swivel
the bottom end with a light/heavy sinker (depending
on current/depth )

I'll start using dropper loops w/multiple hooks in water over 200' if the current is ripping. The "chicken rig"(dropper loops with numerous hooks) work great in shallow water with 1/0 HD Gamakatsu live bait hooks tied w/ 60# flouro, perfect for triggers, b-liners, etc.. Similar setup for deeeeep dropping, just bump up the size of everything. The Carolina Rig above with the pictures above lets you fight the fish better and gives the bait better action, IMO.

·
1,321 Posts
Courtland,

Nice write up on your method.

Your hook looks to have been eaten a time or two.

Kev

I think that's the new style: custom marbled hooks.

·
1,321 Posts
Courtlands method is good. I do it that way too in open water. But Courtland, why do you snell hook vs. a loop knot for live bait? Nice explaination BTW.

Iman, you have two choices basically IMO. Both put the weight ahead of the bait which is what you want I think in live bait presentation. One is weight close to main line, the other distant. I choose to distance the weight IF I am drifting over structure close to the bottom, so if the weight hangs up you lose only the breakaway protion.

A dropper loop will be more likely result in tangles drifting live bait IMO. And the presentation I would think would be different. I usually want a drifted bait to appear as 'free' as possible, which is closely acheived with the swivel/leader/hook set up.

·
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well if the swivel is not that nessesary ill try to make it with some knots. Now the prob is how shoul i drift . I will try to use squids for bait or small mackarell, the depth will be that of 50-120m which there are some good drop offs and rocks. My target fish will be Dentex, Pagru and Amber jacks and It will be day I think from 5.00am till My live bait finishes . Now can some explain me how should I drift? Please.

·
Site Sponsor
1,605 Posts
Courtlands method is good. I do it that way too in open water. But Courtland, why do you snell hook vs. a loop knot for live bait? Nice explaination BTW.

With a live bait/loop knot or even an offset eye(on the hook shank) I don't get the roll back/ hookset that I need with a circle hook. Tie your hooks a few different ways and pull them thru a closed fist, the snelled hook coming down the front of the shank over the top of the eye has a much better hookset, IMO.

Don't get me wrong, there is more than one way to skin a cat. I just like to skin them this way.

·
Site Sponsor
1,605 Posts
Now can some explain me how should I drift? Please.

Your boat? I'll guess not.
Access to the full rail? Cabin boat that you can only fish off the back? Does the ledge run parralell to the current/tide?

There are many variables. My buddies bust my chops because any "true" bottom/grouper fisherman will anchor. I'll catch more fish on the drift than at anchor, that is probably because of the way I fish. I run my own boat and must take many variables into consideration. Boat should drift beam to sea, get ahead of the ledge/area you want to fish and get your bait down in the target area before you get to the fish. You would prefer not to drop through them, Amberjacks are an exception as they love to pick a bait up on the drop. Use enough lead to be on the bottom and continue to pay out line to stay in contact with the bottom.

If you don't have success with one bait try another. The big/lazy fish will often prefer dead bait or severely wounded(cut off the tail) baits. Think of your fat Uncle that comes over for the holidays, once he is on the couch he's not going to run across the room for a snack, but if you put a bag of chips in front of him, he'll eat. Big baits let the little fish pick at it and gain the big ones interest. Long cut baits, belly strips especially, work great, stay on well because of the skin, and can withstand alot of chewing from the little guys b-4 the big one inhales it. Good Luck.

·
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
well the boat is mine. its only 16ft .uhm listen can you tell me how much cm of FC should I do? becouse when I did it with 150m and tried it it become a knot xD

·
Premium Member
5,803 Posts
you should drift all sides of your intended spot

assuming you have spot X and the drift is to the E
you go W of X and drift across
then you go N and W of X
then S and W of X
then E of X (edge of X ) and drift out

if your boat wont' turn side way, throw a drift sock off your bow,
even a bucket will work, play around with your motor direction

·
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
oh so with drifting the engine should stay on. ok bettr so I should make the boat driving 1 knot .

·
Site Sponsor
1,605 Posts
oh so with drifting the engine should stay on. ok bettr so I should make the boat driving 1 knot .

-I always leave the motor running.

-3'-5' of leader is good on the drift

-lower the bait slower if it is getting wrapped up/shorter leader will help

- do not power drift/ no current is usually the best, but very unlikely

- use as little weight as possible to hold bottom

1 - 20 of 22 Posts