Dragonfly 600gr jiggin rod

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by thenewkid, Apr 30, 2008.

1. thenewkid

thenewkid Senior Member

Does anyone have any experience with this rod, either by association or personal experience. I'm looking for input on this rod to see if it would be good fo jigging 100# class tuna, am also looking for what kind of drag this rod will sustain.

2. rtran

rtran Senior Member

I don't think that rod will be enough. I think it handle 20# of drag fine but is overrated to handle high drag settings.

3. Drifter

Drifter Senior Member

I've been using the Sea Majic Dragonfly 600 gram rod for almost a year. It's paired up with an Accurate 665W 2 speed. I generally set 26 lbs of drag at strike and have needed the drag on several occasions. I've tested the rod to 30 lbs of drag (had my 15 year old take off running with the line) and the rod was just fine. Fish in the 35 - 40 lb range are easily handled.

For only $170 - I beleive the Dragon Fly 600 is a great buy! :D

When I hooked my 100+ lb Tuna in Venice, I was damn glad I had a 60-80lb rod :)

4. A.whitman

A.whitman Senior Member

i have the 400 and it handles 20+ pounds of drag easily. the 600 would easily handle 30 pounds of drag. great blanks lots of tip action for jigging. for the money the only other option would be oti(if you wanted all fuji guides).

5. rhale

rhale Senior Member

The rod is good....... Its a little on the stiff side but it will handle at least 30 lbs of drag. I have fished it for 2 seasons and caught my biggest fish on jigs with the rod.

The pic with the rod bending is at 25lbs of drag and you can see that it will handle more. The other pic is of a large AJ that I caught on the rod with no problem.

Attached Files:

6. rtran

rtran Senior Member

very nice fish, I guess I was wrong!

7. gman

gman Senior Member

600 is a good rod the 400 is way to light for its rating, the 600 should handle drags to 30

8. A.whitman

A.whitman Senior Member

what do you mean by light? like it is not meant for 400grm jigs? i really havent put my 400 to the test. it seems to have more than enough balls for fishin 20 kbs of drag. i personally cant fish more drag fro any period of time. just wondering what you experience is with the 400

9. gman

gman Senior Member

I didn't have a great experience with the rod, it isn't a true 400g rod IMHO maybe a 300 max. When stressed out on larger fish with 20#'s of drag I got a lot of tip twist and the line was touching the blank and its lacked true backbone but thats my opinion versus other rods I have owned

I paired it with an accurate 665 and the reel was too much for the rod. Its a beautiful rod, made with nice components just not what I think it should be for the rating. I did lift test and it was almost identical to the XXH Trevala. 20 #'s is max, there is a review of the rod here on the site. The 600 seems more suitable for bigger fish

10. A.whitman

A.whitman Senior Member

well maybe i need to up mine to a 600 b4 my next tuna trip. i would rather have a amj though. are the oti 600 rods for sale or just the blancs?

11. gman

gman Senior Member

I know APS just got the SMITH 52EX in and I believe OTI has theirs as well. Not trying to scare you about the dragonfly I just wasn't happy with it

12. thenewkid

thenewkid Senior Member

ahhh, To late Glenn....

I guess ill just get the OTI 600gr. I have yet to hear anything bad about the product so, thats that. Id rather hav full confidence in the rod than to be worried about breaking it. I like the idea of having the extrabackbone there if i need it.

13. LEXPRO

LEXPRO Senior Member

I have used a 400 for two seasons mostly with a JX and now with an 870. Its very comfortable to jig with and the action is great. I havent had any problems with it other than the tip eye which i bent and Chris replaced. I havent ran into a fish over 40lbs (AJ) with it yet but up to that it works great.

14. SkeeterRonnie

SkeeterRonnie Senior Member

20# is too much for the 400 gram. i would say max is 17# of drag. - its as light as a feather though and for blackfin and small YFT- its the shiznitz for the price!

i would venture to say a stella 8000 on a 600 gram Sea Magic-with 27# of drag would be one helluva combination for Gulf Tuna!

15. gman

gman Senior Member

20# is too much for the 400 gram. i would say max is 17# of drag. - its as light as a feather though and for blackfin and small YFT- its the shiznitz for the price!

i would venture to say a stella 8000 on a 600 gram Sea Magic-with 27# of drag would be one helluva combination for Gulf Tuna!

I would agree 100% with all of those comments

16. rhale

rhale Senior Member

I didn't have a great experience with the rod, it isn't a true 400g rod IMHO maybe a 300 max. When stressed out on larger fish with 20#'s of drag I got a lot of tip twist and the line was touching the blank and its lacked true backbone but thats my opinion versus other rods I have owned

I paired it with an accurate 665 and the reel was too much for the rod. Its a beautiful rod, made with nice components just not what I think it should be for the rating. I did lift test and it was almost identical to the XXH Trevala. 20 #'s is max, there is a review of the rod here on the site. The 600 seems more suitable for bigger fish

I told you so gman...... This was my post to you about a year ago.

Originally Posted by gman
    I just purchased the 400 rod rated 80-200 and was happy with the action when I did the same weight test other than minor twisting. I paired it with my new accurate 665 2 speed which should arrive next thursday.

I dont know what type of drag pressure you plan on putting on this rod but the 665 will put out more than the rod can handle.
    I put my 870 2 speed on the 600 gram and with 30 lbs of drag the line will start cutting into the grip. I know that it is quite a bit heavier than the 400 gram rod but if you are jigging for the big one or around rigs then you will want to put out all the drag you can and you will need a rod that can handle it.
    I guess what I am getting at is why wouldn't you use a rod that can handle the reel that you put on it? IMO a few extra ounces of weight while jigging is worth it when you hook a big fish and need to yank him out of the rig.

17. gman

gman Senior Member

I told you so gman...... This was my post to you about a year ago.

Originally Posted by gman
    I just purchased the 400 rod rated 80-200 and was happy with the action when I did the same weight test other than minor twisting. I paired it with my new accurate 665 2 speed which should arrive next thursday.

I dont know what type of drag pressure you plan on putting on this rod but the 665 will put out more than the rod can handle.
    I put my 870 2 speed on the 600 gram and with 30 lbs of drag the line will start cutting into the grip. I know that it is quite a bit heavier than the 400 gram rod but if you are jigging for the big one or around rigs then you will want to put out all the drag you can and you will need a rod that can handle it.
    I guess what I am getting at is why wouldn't you use a rod that can handle the reel that you put on it? IMO a few extra ounces of weight while jigging is worth it when you hook a big fish and need to yank him out of the rig.

This is one of those moments that I don't do that often but ... You were right and I was wrong. ha ha LMAO I was very disappointed in the results and have no one to blame but myself. You told me like Im telling him

18. rhale

rhale Senior Member

Just giving you a hard time gman... I cant count how many rods and reels I had to sell shortly after buying them because it wasnt what I thought it was going to be...

19. gman

gman Senior Member

i know you are I was laughing my ass off when you posted that thread. Hindsight huh now if you could tell me the lottery numbers I will split it with you

20. gman

gman Senior Member

The rod is good....... Its a little on the stiff side but it will handle at least 30 lbs of drag. I have fished it for 2 seasons and caught my biggest fish on jigs with the rod.

The pic with the rod bending is at 25lbs of drag and you can see that it will handle more. The other pic is of a large AJ that I caught on the rod with no problem.

That is a slob of an AJ BTW