360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, this is an equipment question.

i would like a scale to measure drag, because for the first time in my life i have reels that are going to put out enough drag that if i highstick i could snap 80lb braid!! hahahahaha
I have NO idea where i would get one, if any of you guys know, please let me know.

Same thing goes for my next issue. I just got my JB order in with all my ingredients to make my own wind on leaders(just cause i think its super cool to make your own) - but i have NO way to test how they are doing! so i was looking for some sort of scale that will show at what point they broke.

If you guys have any input please let me know. I didnt know which forum to post this in so i am going to post it in SF too, ignore the other one, i just dont want to miss guys that are just on that site.

Thanks so much for any and all help guys!

Tight Lines
Aaron

·
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
this will work for both? i guess it will work for drag... and if it will show the max weight after it goes to zero i guess it would work for knots too.... now i just need one that goes north of 110lbs...

·
1,386 Posts

i would like a scale to measure drag, because for the first time in my life i have reels that are going to put out enough drag that if i highstick i could snap 80lb braid!! hahahahaha
I have NO idea where i would get one, if any of you guys know, please let me know.

Same thing goes for my next issue. I just got my JB order in with all my ingredients to make my own wind on leaders(just cause i think its super cool to make your own) - but i have NO way to test how they are doing! so i was looking for some sort of scale that will show at what point they broke.

If you guys have any input please let me know. I didnt know which forum to post this in so i am going to post it in SF too, ignore the other one, i just dont want to miss guys that are just on that site.

Thanks so much for any and all help guys!

Tight Lines
Aaron

The problem with using a scale if you are breaking line or knots is that when then line breaks, the scale can be damaged. I use weights to break line. Also, if you break mono/fluoro, since it stretches, there is a real whip effect when it breaks. You can get hurt.

·
2,622 Posts
I use a spring scale with a tell tale hanging from an eye bolt on the side of my tackle bench. It makes it a lot easier to tell the reading instead of trying to read an LCD display from 10' away. It works great for stretching leaders and setting knots as well as setting and exercising drags.

I need to find out how to add a picture but you can go to Cabelas.com and search for spring scale and see what I'm talking about.

·
490 Posts
if you intend on doing much knot testing i would highly reccomend you avoid a spring scale. they mak the process alot more dangerous since they store alot of energy and release it voilently when something breaks (i.e. your knot) i have a 50 spring drag scale from rappala and when that thing lets loose you better have gloves and safety glasses on. i cannot immagine the result of a 100lb spring scale letting loose at close to 100lbs. try to find a digital scale that has a "peak hold" function. i have looked for it and it is not readily available in scales in the 100lb range. the one scale i found that i did like was from a company in the UK and was not ideally priced. around 120bucks but it looks to be very robust. this is the size i was looking at getting but they make ones with higher capacities as well.

HCB50K100 | Hanging Balance | Hanging Scales | Inscale Ltd

50kg (110lb) maximum
100g (.25lb) resolution

·
2,622 Posts
from a physics standpoint I can't see much difference in the energy in the line when the knot fails. Once the line separates the energy in the spring isn't transferred back to the line. I guess if you had the scale in your hand it might be a concern but I wouldn't want any scale in my hand while testing anything to failure, that's why my scale is mounted.

·
Randy Bassinga
1,407 Posts
The spring scales get damaged by the destruction tests, I think DenisB mentioned this in detail in a recent post. I have a 100lb scale that was very good for most tasks, now its a wreck after testing a few different heavy line breaks. He also posted on using weights instead, it sounds like a much more sensible idea

·
2,622 Posts
had mine for 5 years and it's still good and still passes a calibration check. I will admit I don't feel the need to test to failure all the time and do have access to real tensile testers if I feel the need.

IMHO a spring scale is a good economical choice; a computerized Instron Tensile tester would be a better choice but might not be cost effective.

·
490 Posts
MikeF-

If i understand correctly from the initial thread the intended use of the scale is destructive testing. that is why i was addressing this specific issue.

what spring scale are you using? and where could it be purchased?

·
2,622 Posts
I'm using a Shimano but I'm pretty sure it's made by Chatillon (you can get these from Cabela's, West Marine or just about anyone who sells tackle.

You're correct, it would not be the best choice for a bunch of test-to-failure, I should learn to read. One more thought, using dead weights also has certain drawbacks. One specific one is the initial force applied by the weight will be higher due to momentum either from motion when you hang the weight or the force required to pick it up off the floor. Just food for thought and physics.

·
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks for all the posts guys - i really appreciate it. im already starting to figure out what it is i need.

if you intend on doing much knot testing i would highly reccomend you avoid a spring scale. they mak the process alot more dangerous since they store alot of energy and release it voilently when something breaks (i.e. your knot) i have a 50 spring drag scale from rappala and when that thing lets loose you better have gloves and safety glasses on. i cannot immagine the result of a 100lb spring scale letting loose at close to 100lbs. try to find a digital scale that has a "peak hold" function. i have looked for it and it is not readily available in scales in the 100lb range. the one scale i found that i did like was from a company in the UK and was not ideally priced. around 120bucks but it looks to be very robust. this is the size i was looking at getting but they make ones with higher capacities as well.

HCB50K100 | Hanging Balance | Hanging Scales | Inscale Ltd

50kg (110lb) maximum
100g (.25lb) resolution

this looks perfect, now to find one i dont have to send through customs....

·
448 Posts
Great read this boys!!

Our game fishing club would like to buy a "Line Testing machine". it would have to be able to be calibrated as we fish IGFA line weights to 130lb. Does anyone know of a company that i can contact to buy a set??
Cheers Kevin
BTW From New Zealand

·
1,553 Posts

Aaron
id be more worried about breaking a rod rather than 80lb braid when highsticking. for simple drag testing, get any decent spring scale and have a friend hold it while pulling directly off the reel

1 - 18 of 18 Posts