Double Uni - Braid to Braid

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by hawgs, Jun 25, 2009.

1. hawgs

hawgs Member

What is the advisable number of turns to make when connecting two pieces of solid braid (65lbs and 80lbs) via a double uni knot?

I assume the double uni would be the best knot for this application?

Thanks.

2. Stryper

Stryper Senior Member

Use a piece of hollow to connect them...

3. cabosandinh

cabosandinh Moderator

I do 12 turns each

I've even heard of a 'dab of super glue' for extra peace of mind

4. Bret

Bret Senior Member

yeah, 8-12 turns. cinch them up real tight!! you can dab some super glue as San mentioned or a quick burn on the tag ends with a lighter will keep them from slipping through.. havent had one fail yet... we have done a couple of mid fight change overs to larger setups and got all fish to boat.

5. pametfisher

pametfisher Senior Member

Uni to Uni is a good knot. Interestingly though since the Uni reduces a line's strength by 30%, by knotting 80# line on top of 65# line, your strength at the knot drops the overall stength to the equivalent of 56# line (70% of 80# test).

If you get the right superglue AND it penetrates properly, then the strength goes back up.

The splicing recommendation earlier in this thread can connect the two lines without loss of strength.

6. John_Madison CT

John_Madison CT Senior Member

Pamet: Do you recommend the pink Zap?

7. pametfisher

Pamet: Do you recommend the pink Zap?

John: I haven't used pink ZAP. Any cyanoacrylate could work if the viscosity is thin enough to quickly wick into the knot, that's the key, so that it gets all the way through the knot. A guy who did some research found that Loctite 406 was the thinnest so that's what I had used.

The idea is that you fill the matrix structure so that all parts of the knot are one solid, taking stress concentration off the first turn in the knot. This could help with slipping of a knot but that is not the main benefit since you can always find enough turns to prevent slipping.

8. hawgs

hawgs Member

Thanks for weighing in pametfisher... I've read a lot of your posts and they're extremely informative and interesting.

Is there a write up somewhere for connecting via a hollow piece of braid? I might look into this route, but I do not have any experience with splicing with hollow braid.

9. pametfisher

Thanks for weighing in pametfisher... I've read a lot of your posts and they're extremely informative and interesting.

Is there a write up somewhere for connecting via a hollow piece of braid? I might look into this route, but I do not have any experience with splicing with hollow braid.

Splicing is worth learning, very worthwhile. Here's a link: http://www.360tuna.com/forum/f3/glueless-solid-hollow-spectra-splice-full-strength-4389/

10. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Uni to uni connection between braid and braid is the only know I use and I didn't have any failure yet though I don't recommend uni to unit knot to connect between braid and heavy mono.
    When Yong fought 130 lbs bluefin yesterday, the unit to unit knot was exposed,but it held up nicely even I didn't put any glue on it.
    I use pink Zap at Basil's recommendation.

11. pametfisher

Uni to Uni is a good knot. Interestingly though since the Uni reduces a line's strength by 30%, by knotting 80# line on top of 65# line, your strength at the knot drops the overall stength to the equivalent of 56# line (70% of 80# test).

If you get the right superglue AND it penetrates properly, then the strength goes back up.

The splicing recommendation earlier in this thread can connect the two lines without loss of strength.

After thinking about this a little further, I realized that I'd made a mistake. You do not take 70% of the 80# test, rather you take 70% of the 60# test. You have therefore made your lines, when the knot is exposed, equal to 42# test.

Let me agree, that the Uni, in this application, will work. However, the reasons that it will work are:

1. Once you've wound the knot 5-10 yards onto the spool, friction takes over and the knot is out of the strength equation. But when that 200 lb. Bluefin makes its third of fourth run, with the drag building, the knot is exposed and in the strength budget.

2. Many braided lines overtest by 15-20%. The manufacturers do this because the line is naturally thin and it allows them to project a better knot strength and "stronger" line than the competition. (Of course you get less of it on your reel because it's a little bigger.) Assuming a 15% overtest, the 60# line that became 42# line is actually going to perform like 48# line when the knot is exposed. So it works because 48# line is good enough--until you hook the fish of a lifetime and you're deep into the spool and the knot is a couple hundred yards into the water.

As a comparison, if you were using hollow-braided Spectra and used a line to line splice to add 80# to 60# and the 60# overtested by 15%, your line would perform like 69# test--a lot better than the 48# above.

There is an ironic mantra that we as fisherman have, "My [approach, method, knot, etc.] has never failed me ... " Mr. Murphy, of Murphy's Law fame, is waiting for us, always lurking, ready to strike on the biggest and best fish that we hook. It seems that he finds me a lot.