Dorado Techniques

Discussion in 'Pelagics' started by moonsoft, Jan 10, 2009.

1. moonsoft

moonsoft Member

I see a few posts here but NO ONE is hitting the nail on the head here, HOW DO YOU FISH FOR DORADO!?!?! Im am most interested in GOM dolphin, when and how and with what etc....

This would be helpful cause i'm going on a 56 hour trip for tuna so there seems to people catching dorado as well, and I prefer to eat more of these than BFT. I want it ALL!!!!!

2. red34

red34 Guest

I see a few posts here but NO ONE is hitting the nail on the head here, HOW DO YOU FISH FOR DORADO!?!?! Im am most interested in GOM dolphin, when and how and with what etc....

This would be helpful cause i'm going on a 56 hour trip for tuna so there seems to people catching dorado as well, and I prefer to eat more of these than BFT. I want it ALL!!!!!

I have had Dorado come up to the back of the boat on a 12hr while we were picking up bait from a shrimper so I was rigged up with diamond jigs and a weightless circle but no bait yet. There aren't many more frusterating things out there than watching a nice fish like that lose interest and cruise away.

Dorado like that are the #1 reason I built a light weight popping rod that I will always have a very light swimbait or sluggo on from now on.

If you're on a boat with a full livewell, I'd have a rod with a short flouro leader with a small live bait or ringed circle ready to cast/pitch a small livey to him also.

3. barbwire

barbwire Senior Member

Sight casting to them with a popper is how I have done it. They will also smack a rattle trap,but the hooks probably won't hold. Seen a guy use a swimbait to catch one once.

4. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

dodos will hit diamond jigs.....just pitch and reel or slow jig it back towards the boat.

but yes live bait works well, as does chunk bait. thing abot dodos is that sometimes theyll hit anything and everything and sometimes not. last trip out we had a ton around the boat, nice sized too. but they wouldnt really hit. we only landed one.

other times they will hit anything in sight. you never know.

i like crippled herrings for them and other similar lures.

5. Iliveoutside

Iliveoutside Senior Member

Small diamond jig, spoon, kastmaster, or something like that, add a dropper loop a ways up your leader, maybe 18" or so and add a circle hook with a chunk bait or a live bait. At that point, the jig is your casting weight, and the fish has its choice of the jig or the bait.

6. rtran

rtran Senior Member

All the dodo I have killed have been by slow sweeping retrieve.

7. Jason4606

Jason4606 Tuna Club member

Small swim baits (that are still heavy enough to throw on 30-50lb rod) like Tackle House Flitz or Skagit Design Lip Slider.

8. shanker

shanker Senior Member

did I miss it somewhere or did nobody mention a Bucktail tipped with Squid!

Get the first one to the boat, leave him in the water, wait till you get the second one hooked and start brining them in, always leaving one in the water to keep the rest in a frenzy

9. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

make sure you gaff the one in the water while waiting for the 2nd....

also.....i think the theme of this thread is a lot works for mahi when theyre biting. sometimes they dont bite and it makes no difference they just wont hit anything. jigs, bait, swimbaits, poppers, surface iron, etc...will all work when theyre hungry :)

10. red34

red34 Guest

Here are the swimbaits I was talking about. They're one of the newer big bass baits so you can get them pretty much anywhere. That's good for those of us LUCKY enough to be 5+ hours from saltwater:(

They're hollow so I used some rigging wire to add a little weight in the middle of the body and make a bridle connection to the hook, similar to a circle hook ballyhoo rig.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

i think theyd work for tuna as well

12. red34

red34 Guest

i think theyd work for tuna as well

they better! ;)

13. Drifter

Drifter Senior Member

I caught a couple of 40lb Mahi using a shibuki on my last Pelican trip. I had my YFT rod/popper in hand when I saw the Mahi and they quickly hit it. Chunking landed another one. I've used Sliders and OTI's Wombat succesfully on other trips.

I've been lucky that every time I've seen Mahi they're always hungry and easy to catch :D

14. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

I caught a couple of 40lb Mahi using a shibuki on my last Pelican trip. I had my YFT rod/popper in hand when I saw the Mahi and they quickly hit it. Chunking landed another one. I've used Sliders and OTI's Wombat succesfully on other trips.

I've been lucky that every time I've seen Mahi they're always hungry and easy to catch :D

kil got a nice mahi on a shibuki last year. most of the time i have had no problem. last year on th viking 4 day trip i had about 5 or7 mahi in about an hour on crip herrings and similar lures as well as chunks....then this time i got one hit on a tackle house long distance lure but it spit the hook. the f-ers are tricky ;)

15. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

How are you guys working the Shibuki and Flitz lures? Long sweeps with slow retrieve or erratic sweeps with fast retrieve?

16. Iliveoutside

Iliveoutside Senior Member

17. wellcraft26

wellcraft26 Senior Member

I caught 3 nice dolphin up to 56"long on bft chunks on the 12/5/08 ScatCat 56hr trip the boat caught at least 20. Around 3-5AM they were in huge schools circling the boat at the edge of the darkness- we were chumming for YFT with 1" cubes and I would cast a strip with a hook out in front of them. Keep a spinning reel with a fresh/bloody chunk nearby. Good jumps & fight .Those dolphin were spewing out those chunks on the fight in to the boat! They made my trip as I broke off 3 YFTs:eek: !!!

18. SpecialK

SpecialK Super Moderator

The dolphin on the that trip were off the hook. I must have had 10 hook ups only to land 3. They were consistantly hitting the frenzy popper I had on but throwing the hook during a head shake.
    They definately kept everyone fishing!

19. Eastern Tackle

Eastern Tackle Senior Member

A 1" x 1" piece of false albacore freelined out from the boat, with a 7/0 Matzuo O'Shaughnessy buried in it, is the most deadly dolphin bait there is. Just got through seeing a talk with Don Hammond the dolphin tagging guy. Did you know dolphins spend most of their time 50ft down during the day and much deeper at night.

20. rtran

rtran Senior Member

set it fast and hard if using sub surface lures. they are fast