Dorado season is near!!

Discussion in 'Food and Recipe' started by Cedric, Sep 15, 2008.

1. Cedric

Cedric Member

Hey guys, just wanted to share Saturdays catch with Sundays dinner!
    My dad and brother bagged their first 9 dorados ( a 50 #er and the rest were under 10# ...the best eating!) and 5 wahoos of the season on Saturday, I had a last minute catering so I couldn't go :( ...(going tomorrow though, while they work ;) ;) !).

When I got my commission (several fillets for personal use :p ), I got home and didn't have much to cook with, but I was really in the mood for some fresh dorado, so I came up with this.

Sauteed Dorado Fillet with Blueberry and Brandy Cream Sauce, and because were in season and I love it, Poached Breadfruit
    -Enjoy!

4-6 portions of Dorado filet:
    In the mortar:
    1 Clove garlic, black pepper, pinch cayenne, coriander to taste, pinch oregano, juice of 1 lime, salt, olive oil and mash...marinate fish while we do the rest...

Breadfruit: (Substitute with potatoes if desired, Yukon gold or Red-bliss pref.)
    -1" cubes, 4 cups
    -4 Garlic cloves, sliced
    -Xtra V. olive oil
    -1-2 bay leaves
    Salt to taste
    - Enough water or chicken stock to cover and poach.

1. Sweat the garlic in the olive oil for several minutes until soft, not brown. Add bay leaf and then the breadfruit (potato).
    2. Roll around in the oil and garlic until absorbs...season with salt and pepper.
    3. Top with broth or water and simmer covered until fork tender (don't strain until ready to eat.)

Blueberry and Brandy Cream Sauce
    -1 cup fresh blueberies.
    - 1/2 cup minced onion or shallot
    -1 garlic clove minced
    -2 fat shots of Brandy (one for the dish, one for the chef :) )
    Can also substitute for Cognac or Calvados
    -juice 2 limes
    -1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
    -Parsley and thyme, chopped
    -1 cup Heavy cream, or evaporated milk
    3 Tbsp. Butter
    salt pepper to taste

1. While the fish marinates, the breadfruit simmers and the shot goes down, soften the onions, garlic and blueberries in olive oil. Crush the berries.
    2. Add brandy and try to get a little flame action going...it'll soften the alcoholic kick a bit, while retaining the other great flavors. (Watch the mustach!):eek:
    3. Add cream, mustard, lime juice and simmer for about 8 minutes very gently for the flavors to develop and the sauce to thicken. Finish with parsley and thyme. Adjust with salt pepper.

To finish up... Dredge the fish lightly in flour...pat it nicely (were not looking for a breading, just enough flour to help sear and brown the fish quickly).
    Get a good nonstick saute pan, olive oil, very hot then add fish. Don't touch for at least 2 minutes, look at the side of the fillet and try to determine if at least half or it is cooked, then flip and do the same on the other side.

Toss on a plate, pop a bottle of white wine, call the lady, and enjoy!

Attached Files:

2. Bret

Bret Senior Member

Man, that looks tasty!!!! I'll have to try that..

3. JerseyBrian

JerseyBrian Senior Member