Dolphin Docks

Discussion in 'Offshore Fishing Reports' started by barbwire, Aug 19, 2008.

1. barbwire

barbwire Senior Member

I am about ready to pull the trigger on my first long range/overnighter and am looking for input from folks who have been fishing with DD. Which is the best boat to get on the Dolphin or La Pesca? What sort of tackle should I be looking to get? Is the 24 hour worth going on or should I be looking at longer trips? How's the food? Sorry for so many ?,but I am trying to get geared up to start doing long range trips. Thanks and there will probably be lots more questions.

2. awesum

awesum Senior Member

The only overnighter I've done with DD is a 24 hr trip a few years ago on the Dolphin. I was disappointed. We motored out to the Matagorda rigs NE of Port A. where we fished all night catching a keeper snapper about every two hours. They tried to redeem things by hitting a hot Kingfish bite the next morning but some of us weren't interest in them.

Now that Red Snapper are a no-no I would assume they are targeting kings and sharks if they can't find Blackfins. My friends in Port A have been telling me that the Blackfin bite has yet to materialize.

3. Minnow

Minnow Administrator

Both boat is about the same, they are slowwwwwwwwwwwww boat compare to say the Big E.
    60 hours or longer trip will be a better option if you are planning to fish for tuna.
    Their 24hrs trip usually an overnighter and they have tendency to anchor up and fish there all night long.

poppers, jigs, circle hooks, leaders and so on.........

Check this out, it might help a little http://www.360tuna.com/forum/f68/recommended-tackle-list-gulf-mexico-long-range-fishing-61/

4. xs_tackle

xs_tackle Senior Member

. . . Which is the best boat to get on the Dolphin or La Pesca? What sort of tackle should I be looking to get? Is the 24 hour worth going on or should I be looking at longer trips? How's the food? Sorry for so many ?,but I am trying to get geared up to start doing long range trips. Thanks and there will probably be lots more questions.

Read Minnow's advice at least twice and take his tackle list seriously. You'll prefer your own tackle if you get the right stuff.

Which of the 2 boats doesn't matter so much as the length of trip. Fishing prospects improve dramatically w/length of trip; but, assume 40-50% travel time. 60-80 hr better.

Assume food will be passable but basic and nothing after dinner except drinks, chips, candy. If you're diabetic or think you'll get hungry, carry something that keeps-- e.g., jerky, cooked sausage, hard-cooked eggs, frozen sandwiches or frozen fried chicken.

5. jig

jig Senior Member

If you do the 40 hour on the Dolphin, food is included in the price. Its the one I like best, but I confess I have always gone during snapper season. I did not catch many beeliners on my trip last month, but did catch a lot of snapper. No tuna, but that was July. I would do the 40 vs a 24. Much for fishing time for the slow boats.

6. barbwire

barbwire Senior Member

Thanks for the replies. Anybody know what a 4/0 and 6/0 Penn drag maxes out? how about after drag upgrade? The reason I ask is that I already have these and am trying to decide on a reel for jigging and maybe throwing poppers if I can learn to cast it. I can cast a baitcaster good and I am leaning toward a conventional reel for jigging/casting until I can have one for each purpose.

7. ALW

ALW Senior Member

I have seen the Penn 4-0 and 6-0 work fine on YF and Bf tuna or anything else the party boats can get. A couple of guys bring this on the Big E and do great on the 52 hr trips. They are good for bottom fishing, chunking, and drifting out live fliers. They work fine for jigging as well. You don't really need to cast top waters to catch all the fish you could possibly want. The cheapest way to cast topwaters is to buy a Cabo 60 or 80 spinning reel. The Penn 9500's don't hold up, although I see a lot of them used.

8. awesum

awesum Senior Member

The cheapest way to cast topwaters is to buy a Cabo 60 or 80 spinning reel. The Penn 9500's don't hold up, although I see a lot of them used.

Ditto what Al said.

I have the Cabo 80 and so far it has worked. I also have a Spheros 14000 (with carbon drag washers) that works OK too. If money were not an issue the Saragosa 18000 or Stella 20000 is the way to go.

And as Al said you do not have to throw topwaters to catch a limit of YFT. I caught several limits before I ever tossed a topwater. However, it is another facet of tuna fishing that is fun to do. Just be ready for it to be crowded at the rail ....;)