Dolphin Docks only doing 36hr trips?

Discussion in 'Charter Boat & Party Boat' started by JasonF, Sep 27, 2008.

1. JasonF

JasonF Senior Member

I was on Dolphin Docks website and noticed that after Oct they are only doing 36 hr trips? Does anyone know why? I love their longer runs. Luckily I got one of the last two spots on the new moon 80hr in Oct. I think there is only one spot left.

2. mcgolfer

mcgolfer Guest

might have something to do with the fact that the fronts start moving through about every 3 or 4 days as we get later in the year. with the boats being smaller and more uncomfortable in heavier seas that seem to occur more during cooler months of the year.....rick

3. oldtrackster

oldtrackster Senior Member

In the past (including last year) they run many more winter trips than what is on the the website especially the Dolphin. They have also run 60 hour trips in November and December. The only way to know for sure is to call the office a couple of times a month and ask what has been scheduled. I agree it would be much easier if they would keep the website updated. The way I figured this out is one time I was loading for a 80 hour on the Dolphin and saw the La Pesca loading for a 60 hour that was not listed on the website. Not convienient but they are very likely to have longer trips you will have to call about.

4. JasonF

JasonF Senior Member

Hopefully my freezer will be too full of YFT after the 80 hr in Oct to be able to go on another trip til after the new year!

5. Capt.Brad

Capt.Brad Guest

We usually start running the 36hour trips as a way to have a longer trip every weekend, and they are more conveinent depending on the weather from all the fronts that will come through constantly.
    That and we have alot of customers that want a chance at fishing the floaters, but don't want to be on the boat for 60 hours. So the 36hour is a one night trip to either Boomvang/Nancen or Diana/Hoover.
    Just check back every so often, depending on how popular the 60/80hour trips are, we may still run one every once in a while.

6. Minnow

Minnow Administrator

Welcome aboard Capt.Brad and thanks for clear things up for us.

7. JasonF

JasonF Senior Member

Thanks for the info Brad. I have been lucky enough to fish all over the world but some of my most memorable trips have been with Dolphin Docks. I am sure that I wont be let down next month with Travis at the helm (who was THE best deck hand that I have ever fished with back in his deckhand days!).

8. word-doctor

word-doctor Senior Member

I will be on the Halloween 60 hour trip. Looking forward to it; hope to see some folks off this board on board.

9. emorgan

emorgan Member

Does anyone know what personal items you can take on the boat for one of the 36 hour tuna runs. Coolers, food, fishing equipment or gear. I have never been and am thinking about going on the Februray 2009 trip. Any information would be helpful.

Thanks, Mudbone

10. Bret

Bret Senior Member

11. emorgan

emorgan Member

Thank you for the information, very helpful!
    Emorgan

12. califisherman

califisherman Junior member

Bring your tricked out Trinidad!And Califisherman you'll be ok!

13. word-doctor

One thing you might consider is a stout, light outfit to throw rattletraps. The guys who had this setup when I went out had a blast catching BFT. The fish on top were bigger than the ones caught jigging. A spinning outfit with 30# braid, short topshot, with the reel able to produce 10# of drag, would be pretty fun in the wee small hours of the morning.

14. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

if there are yellowfin anywhere around, i beg you not to use 30# line.

15. etan

etan Senior Member

I've caught yellowfin with rattletraps but you don't want 30# line. 60# spectra at the least. Its not fair to the other guys when you are undergunned and everyone has to wait to start another drift while someone fights a fish they don't have the tackle to land.

16. word-doctor

This is not an advertisement for Mitchell 300s!

Believe me, I'm not suggesting this be done to catch YFT. Thus far I've not seen anything but BFT caught on rattletraps--the YF have been strictly interested in flying fish imitators. I don't even jig for BFT with less than 50# braid...

However, on my last trip I couldn't throw a rattletrap at all with my pool-cue rod and spheros 14K. Something a wee bit lighter (like an 8k reel w/50# and light rod) would be just fine.

So that's my disclaimer for the day.

17. J-Philla

J-Philla Senior Member

be careful fishing 60lb braid, because if u get a 60lb to 80lb yellowhead tail wrapped and it'll be over pretty quick. it's a give and a take u cast farther with 60, but u loose a lot more fish.

18. margarita mojo

margarita mojo Senior Member

Like Bret stated, you have no choice as to what is going to hit the lure. My last trip out, I decided to jig up some blackfin since the topwater bite was not on. I tied on a knife jig and my first drop I hooked into and landed a 107lb Yellowfin. Just cuz you use a light rod, small line and small bait, doesnt necessarily mean you will own get small fish. Large YFT from my experience come from chunk, live flying fish and topwater and not jigs, but you have to be ready for anything or ya might lose a good one and wish you had used a larger setup.

Joe

19. fuelish1

fuelish1 Senior Member

Like Bret stated, you have no choice as to what is going to hit the lure. My last trip out, I decided to jig up some blackfin since the topwater bite was not on. I tied on a knife jig and my first drop I hooked into and landed a 107lb Yellowfin. Just cuz you use a light rod, small line and small bait, doesnt necessarily mean you will own get small fish. Large YFT from my experience come from chunk, live flying fish and topwater and not jigs, but you have to be ready for anything or ya might lose a good one and wish you had used a larger setup.

Joe

The biggest fish ALWAYS seem to hit the smallest tackle on the boat....Murphys Law of fishing! LOL

20. lawrence91

lawrence91 Junior member

hey i an goin on the la pesca this weekend for a 36 hr tuna trip...i havent been on this boat or fished with this company b4. what are the pros and cons? thanks!!