Dolphin 40hr trip?

Discussion in 'Offshore Fishing Reports' started by jig, Jul 8, 2008.

1. jig

jig Senior Member

Anybody got any reports on the Dolphin overnighter trips?

2. Pope

Pope Senior Member

I have taken those trips years ago and did really well once during shrimping season. Killed the tuna and two wahoo. That was a long time ago.

3. rtran

rtran Senior Member

I went on a 40 hour and the captain plain out couldn't put us on fish.

4. I have had some great trips on the Dolphin. My last was last summer, a 40-hr. We caught fish. The fishing could have been a little better but I cannot fault the Capt. on not finding fish. There were deckhand problems and the boat was not kept picked up and cleaned up. There were leaders and bait cups left all over the deck for folks to trip over. Not enough attention to novice fishermen by deckies. Overall a sloppy trip. This would not have happened with Dean on watch. Hope this new guy figures things out.

Phantom Fisherman

5. jig

jig Senior Member

yeah, I miss Dean. But if they are catching anything, I need to get offshore. I go every year in August, but am too busy this year. So I sneak in this weekend or nada. But, I don't want to spend 40 hours on the Dolphin in July if they aren't getting on snapper. PurEvl, when did you go?

Did I mention I miss Dean? Damn oilfield companies. Oh wait, I work for one....

6. rtran

rtran Senior Member

I went this past June.

7. BAOSABI

BAOSABI Senior Member

Dean was the man. I was on the june trip with PurEvl and every time I started catch nice dog snapper free-lining off the back of the boat the capt. would move to another spot. Justin is now co-captain but I don't think he has Dean's skills. I went once every year on the dolphin and by far this year was the worse. We couldn't even catch a stringer of b-liners. We also had the curse of the BANANA on the boat. Maybe that was it.

8. papio

papio Senior Member

The last time I was on the Dolphin, fishing was so so. I observed Justin/Jason the so called co-capt fishing in the back corner pulling up very large b-liners. The guy and the capt didin't even announce the depth of decent size fish. What a bunch of losers, yeah! I said losers. I'll never fish DDocks as long as them two are still there. Please return Capt Dean wherever you are.

9. rtran

rtran Senior Member

That trip I took in June will be the last DD will see my business.

10. Earl

Earl Senior Member

I hadn't been out on their boats since Dean had left. Sad that he isn't there still as that man can find fish. Earl

11. longgar

longgar Moderator

I too was on the same trip w/ Baosobi and PurEvl. Diddo to what they said. I won't be back anytime soon... BigE has me spoiled. I may take less trips per year b/c of the cost of the trip but it is well worth the extra $$... That is if you like catching fish. :)

12. papio

papio Senior Member

Pelican and private boats/charters for me. 3 to 10 anglers I'll only fish.