Does your stella SW make more noise with use?

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by tmd, May 11, 2009.

1. tmd

tmd Large Member

My few months old 20000SW which fished for a total of 30 hours is making considerable more noise than when new. out of box it was nearly silent but now when i turn he handle and listn i can hear more gear noise, rubbing sounds, and squeaking. nothing is broken and it works perfect and smooth. but only more noisy.

any body else notice that?

2. erezf

erezf Member

mine makes more noise.
    I notice it last time I was fishing with a friend that just got a new Stella SW and his was noiseless.

3. Memo

Memo Senior Member

Mine also started to make a little more noise than normal. Is this normal? or should it be cured with some kind of oil treatment?

4. MikeF

MikeF Senior Member

I had a problem a couple of years ago with some new Shimano Stella's and when I opened them up I noticed there wasn't very much grease in them. I sent them back for service and they replaced several ARB bearings and serviced the reels. They came back with a lot more grease than the first time and where a lot quieter. I have noticed with my Stella's that they replace a lot of bearings during the annual service.

5. Memo

Memo Senior Member

I guess I should send it back to US to get it serviced at the end of this season. Till then do you think it is a good idea to pump the service port with some shimano spray grease?

6. johndtuttle

johndtuttle Senior Member

well, what advice to give...that is the question.

If your reel is "making more noise" then things are amiss for sure. A simple relubing may do the trick but half measures are no solution. As above, there may be Salt Water intrusion that is seriously chewing at bearings or other parts that you ignore at your peril.

Noise means parts are "dry" at the least or actively corroding at worst. Get the reel professionally serviced before it fails, costs you a fish or an arm and leg to get fixed/replaced.

Nothing lives unserviced in a Salt Water environment for long.

ps. Even brand new reels benefit from "service" as the techs give them a far more detailed "lube job" protecting every surface internally than they do at any factory.

7. Dave Nowlin

Dave Nowlin Senior Member

I believe that these reels have a service port for a reason. That said don't go crazy with it as too much grease can interfere with the proper operation of the A/R bearing.

8. johndtuttle

I believe that these reels have a service port for a reason. That said don't go crazy with it as too much grease can interfere with the proper operation of the A/R bearing.

yea, that was the dilemma I was struggling with...the trouble is if there is salt in there all you do is seal it in when you add oil on top of it. Probably better than nothing though and may prevent some further damage if salt and certainly help a bit if the reel is just dry.

9. Enoch

Enoch Senior Member

sizes up to 10000 have the service port.

20k does not.
    this problem is actually occurring quite often. I remember my old FA made the same noises. I sent it back for platinum service and the problem wasn't solved.
    Asked alantani and there was some discussion on another board about it.
    Sold it. Got the SW. things don't change I guess :D

10. johndtuttle

Not to quibble but the SW20k has a part#12528 that is labeled "Oil Cap". I presumed this was a maintenance port for a drop or two of oil. Never used it myself, I'll take a look at the manual next to see what you're supposed to do with it ;). This may be a change to the SW from FA.

ps w/e you do, do not squirt WD-40 in there. It has degreasing properties as well as lube. It will temporarily make things better, then they will get worse.

11. Dave Nowlin

I'm researching down the same path. I've looked at the schematic for the 20000SW which shows part number 12528. I also looked at the 5000SW which has a different part number in the same location and calls it an Oil Cap. I then looked at my 10000fa and it has a maintenance port and since the 20000fa has the same body with different gearing, I would expect it also has the maintenance port. I believe the terms Oil Cap & Maintenance Port are interchangeable. I don't know why they call it an Oil Cap as Shimano customer service told me to use only Shimano grease. I believe the reason for this is that grease clings to a gear better than oil.

12. Anuvat

Anuvat Senior Member

Definitely makes more noise after a few big fish, works perfectly though. Sent a 10k in for service and came back like new, will do the same with the 18 and 20.

13. Dave Nowlin

I just got off the phone with Shimano customer service. There are 2 clear ch0ices here. (1) send the reel to Shimano for inspection and service. (2) remove the cap over the maintenance port and add a small amount of Shimano grease and turn the reel handle quite a few turns to distribute the grease. If it then is quiet all is taken care of. If not add another small portion of grease and turn the reel handle again. If that doesn't fix the problem you should send it to Shimano. They guarantee to have the reel turned around and shipped out within 48 hours.

14. cabosandinh

cabosandinh Moderator

an old angler friend of mine that used to be a Tank Mechanic
    said to dip your reel in diesel fuel

will leave a protective coating and remove any salt

I spray mine down with Sea Foam (fuel additive) after salty trips, let
    sit for couple days then wipe dry

15. Dave Nowlin

The problem with the diesel fuel is simple. We don't know how it will effect the seals Shimano uses to make these reels water resistant. We also don't know if a small amount will penetrate the reel and dilute the lubricants in the reel. It could cause damage to the bearings or gears. With a reel as expensive as a Stella I propose it to be wise to follow their recommendations, especially if you should find it necessary to use the warranty.

16. MikeF

MikeF Senior Member

My 20000 FA's have the maintenance port.

17. Dave Nowlin

The confusing part is that Shimano calls it an "Oil Cap" on their reel schematic and a "maintenance port" in their literature. It would be good if one hand knew what the other is doing.

18. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

Shamano uses soft metals for their gears. Initially they are smoother. After some use they get grindy. Daiwas and accurates use a hard materials for their gears. Start off not as smooth as stellas but get smoother the more u use them.

19. Astronut

Astronut Senior Member

MAN! This is god stuff here! I'll be using my 20 and 8k this weekend and I'll pay more attention to excessive noise levels I may hear. Although the only noise I wanna hear is that drag screaming! Thanks for this good intel guys!

astro..

20. tmd

tmd Large Member

I made this post more than one year ago. the reel was 100% quiet when new, then when used it made a slight whiring sound. still quieter than a saltiga. after a year of added use that slight sound did not get any higher and the reel works perfectly :)