Does Braid Color Matter?

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by Drifter, Jul 20, 2008.

1. Drifter

Drifter Senior Member

I currently have 80lb red PP on my Stella 20K but will switch to JB 65lb solid. The reel will primarily be used for YFT popping. I have white JB but would like to hear opinions regarding which color is preferrable for this application. JB makes a green and red solid braid.

I use a fluorocarbon leader with this setup.

Thanks!

2. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

shouldnt really matter too much. seen guys catch with white, green, and yellow. i beleive the topshot is the most important.

3. Enoch

Enoch Senior Member

from my viewpoint i think its the top shot that makes a difference.

if you are asking about quality of line with the color being the dictator, I seem to have best experience with line that isn't colored at all. The coloring may inhibit the suppleness of the braid and would then need some "break-in" time. If that makes any sense at all I hope others can chime in...

4. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

no, color doesn't matter when casting. i have JB solid in red on mine now and havent had any issues

5. fathom

fathom Lifetime Supporting Members

I use white izor as it is easy to see at night.

6. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

Steve: If Louis will forgive what is hopefully a minor hijack of his post, I have often wondered about Izor but have not seen it. In your judgement, how does it compare with some of the other solid lines, especially with regard to smoothness and castibility? It seems to be reasonably priced and I know you wouldn't use it if it did not stack up well in the strength department. Thanks.

Russ

Russ

7. xs_tackle

xs_tackle Senior Member

. . . . how does (Izor) compare with some of the other solid lines, especially with regard to smoothness and castibility? . . .
    Russ

URuss: Unless Izor has in the last 2 yrs changed the number of threads/bundle and increased the number of "bundles" used to spin their line (and they may have made that change), I think you'd find it feels/seems coarser to the touch--less "silky"--than JB in a given line class. Fortunately, that's something you can easily/quickly tell.

8. bulllred

bulllred Senior Member

If you're popping, it doesn't really matter. Short leader and a good swivel tie to the main line and you'll be fine.'

An

9. Drifter

Drifter Senior Member

Thanks for all the responses. It appears braid color isn't important so I'll stick with the white JB instead of ordering a green or red braid. Now let's see what I can buy with the $100 I'm saving :D

10. Gunsmoke

Gunsmoke Guest

Red 65# solid JB is on my spinners. Also, no flurocarbon leader. Mono only. Either Big Game or Momoi 60#. Softer, holds knots better. I like about 10' of mono topshot.

11. Pope

Pope Senior Member

Red 65# solid JB is on my spinners. Also, no flurocarbon leader. Mono only. Either Big Game or Momoi 60#. Softer, holds knots better. I like about 10' of mono topshot.

I also use mono on my popping rod. I think you need a bit of stretch with such a short leader. As far as color...Green on popping and white on chunking. The white line freaks me out sitting on the surface. Probably freaks me out more than a fish, but I am more comfortable. Fish with what you like and makes you :)

12. papio

papio Senior Member

All colors are good as long as it's green, hehehe.

13. getsome

getsome Guest

I've caught plenty of fish on white and yellow, but I prefer the green for the same reason that Pope mentioned.
    That being said, the green can be a pain in the neck to see in low light conditions or when there is a lot of glare on the water.
    One of my friends recently switched all of his spectra to hi-vis yellow Calcutta Brand and he has gone fish for fish with me when I am fishing the green PP (We were both fishing straight spectra to a 3' fluoro leader).
    So I guess it doesn't matter...

14. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

FC works fine as a leader, though i tend not to use it since it is easier to tie knots with other leaders.

15. d-a

d-a Senior Member

To answer the Question. Yes color matters. If you have confidence in hot pink then thats what you should use. You need to remember that they are fish not genius's.

d-a

16. getsome

getsome Guest

FC works fine as a leader, though i tend not to use it since it is easier to tie knots with other leaders.

I usually fish small game out here on the west coast.
    Most of the time I use 40# fluoro (sometimes 60 and rarely 80).
    That being said, for most of my duties, the double uni works great and ties easily with fluoro.
    I've found that mono is a little easier to tie on the heavier lines than fluoro, but I feel that I get more bites on the fluoro, so I'll put up with the more difficult knots.

17. Drifter

Drifter Senior Member

Pope - Agree with the white JB being so visible in the water on chunking reels. I decided to add 25 yds verses 25 feet of FC leader on my last trip. I caught 5 YFT and 3 BFT chunking on our last night - I didn't see anyone else come close to these numbers. I don't know if it was just my turn to get lucky or if the 25 yds of FC made the difference.

I'll stick with my plan and use white but order a 1200yd 65lb spool of JB red

d-a - Did UR have pink braid on one of his Accurates:D

18. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

I usually fish small game out here on the west coast.
    Most of the time I use 40# fluoro (sometimes 60 and rarely 80).
    That being said, for most of my duties, the double uni works great and ties easily with fluoro.
    I've found that mono is a little easier to tie on the heavier lines than fluoro, but I feel that I get more bites on the fluoro, so I'll put up with the more difficult knots.

for any mono knot i tie a san diego and i've had no problems up to 130lb mono. 80lb FC is the heaviest i've tied, no problems there either. to tie to braid, i use the P.R. knot, unless i need to tie quickly, then i'll just use a small spro swivel.

oh, where on the west coast?

19. d-a

d-a Senior Member

Pope - Agree with the white JB being so visible in the water on chunking reels. I decided to add 25 yds verses 25 feet of FC leader on my last trip. I caught 5 YFT and 3 BFT chunking on our last night - I didn't see anyone else come close to these numbers. I don't know if it was just my turn to get lucky or if the 25 yds of FC made the difference.

I'll stick with my plan and use white but order a 1200yd 65lb spool of JB red

d-a - Did UR have pink braid on one of his Accurates:D

I think he did, I saw a pink milk crate at the local redneck shopping mall today(walmart) and though about the fun Uncle Russ could have with that and his leotards.

d-a

20. hatidua

hatidua Senior Member

I have bright yellow spectra on every reel I own, from spinning reels for popping, conventional reels for trolling, and fly reel backing. Have never seen any drawback. Have never had any troubles with fluoro leaders either though...:confused: