360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought in to the lucanus bug. Hook line and sinker. I haven't noticed any differance fishing along side guys using bait for flouder and seabass. Looking for some positive reinforcement and suggtions on how I might improve my catch.
On the other hand butterfly jigging we had a great year on bluefin tuna over 80 lbs,bailing dolphin,wahoo,cobia etc. We caught fish when know one else could trolling or bait fishing and yes even flouder fishing. How well do they work on big grouper and are they better than the butterfly jig for that fishery?
thanks charlie
PS I guess with such a great sucess with the butterfly jigs I was expecting the same results with lucanus.

·
SPONSOR
11,848 Posts
On my offshore seabass/tilefish charter this winter, One guy used Lucanus jigs and he caught as many seabass with the jigs, but didn't get as many tilefish on the jigs compared to diamond jigs.
It is funny that my frined has a tackle shop, sell Lucanus jigs and he never use Lucanus jigs for fluke though he is addicted to fluking. :)
However the jigs should work for any fish though I prefer bigger hooks on the jigs.

·
717 Posts
I dropped my fair share of nice fluke this year, usually about 1/2 to 3/4's the way up. I added trailor hooks and since than, have not had a good day on the water yet so im a bit unconvinced.

·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I WAS WRECK FISHING FOR FLOUDER TODAY AND LOST A GOOD PULL ON THE WAY UP MYSELF. tHE WIND WAS OUT OF THE EAST AND THE BITE WAS VERY SLOW. gONNA TRY SOME DEEPER WRECKS FOR FLOUNDER TOMARROW WAS IN 65 FEET TODAY AND TOMARROW TRYING 3 WRECKS ABOUT 2 MILES APART IN 85 TO 102. SURE HOPE THEY DO A LITTLE BETTER TO SHOW ME SOMETHING FOR THE MONEY. THAT SYSTEM WAS A BIG HIT TO THE HIP!!!
charlie

·
2,835 Posts
Here's a nice ling caught on a lucanus jig. The standard hooks were replaced with a single 7/0 hook.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts