360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After the last offshore trip I took, some people were going to EAT their barracuda...I've heard of it, but also heard about cigutera poisoning....I gave my barracuda away at the dock....do yall eat it, and if so, what is your reasoning for eating/NOT eating it?

·
4,723 Posts
Eat it, I guess you can eat just about anything if you wanna stick it in your mouth. I've seen cuda served at Jap restaurants, but I find them disgusting and smells like crap.

There are plenty of other good to eat fish such as snapper, AJs, grouper, tuna... why would you EVER wanna eat a cuda? I think I'd rather eat a hardtail before I eat a cuda, lol!

·
145 Posts
I had eaten a Mediterranean Barracuda, well I dont have a reason but I wanted to taste it in my own opinion it flesh is tender , and here in Malta they serve them in restaurants. well at first sight the flesh on the plate was not that nice looking but the taste says it all.

·
2,835 Posts
what is your reasoning for eating/NOT eating it?

Anything that stinks right when it comes out of water isn't going in my mouth.
That stench will get on everything else in the fish box.

The only reason to keep one is if you need to pay someone back that played a trick on you. Cut up the cuda into chunks (especially the black oily spots) and place them in your opponents hub caps. If he doesn't have hub caps, just cram a few chunks into the radiator coils. Guaranteed to leave a lasting impression.

·
8 Posts
We caught one off FL. years ago and the Capt. said they are real boney. Maybe he just didn't want to clean it? How do you clean them? Fillet? Steak?

·
553 Posts
Cudda is very delicious to eat. In Hawaii it is considered a prize catch to da locals. Prepared raw, steam, fried, bake, or broil, them sukkahs are better than poi, better than pig, them cuddas freaking good!!

At first I wasn't sure how safe the gulf cudds were, but went and ate one anyway, so now I keeps my cuddas cuz they beta than pig, beta than poi, them gulf cuddas freaking good!!!!!!

G

·
if they keep jerking us around on what we can and can't catch and open and close seasons the freakin barracuda may become the only fish that we can keep.....rick

·
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ha ha...guess I opened up a can of worms on this one hungh? They guys on the boat said they were gonna fry them up and they were delish...I dunno, it took me YEARS to even try saurkraut, cause it stunk so bad!

·
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Anything that stinks right when it comes out of water isn't going in my mouth.
That stench will get on everything else in the fish box.

The only reason to keep one is if you need to pay someone back that played a trick on you. Cut up the cuda into chunks (especially the black oily spots) and place them in your opponents hub caps. If he doesn't have hub caps, just cram a few chunks into the radiator coils. Guaranteed to leave a lasting impression.

LMAO...now if only there was someone I didn't like to do that to....

·
Randy Bassinga
1,407 Posts
We call em silasila in Fiji. A lot of people eat it but once they run into that occasional cigu carrier fish, it becomes their last one. I mean they dont make that mistake again as I haven't heard of a fatality

·
138 Posts
Barracuda can be very tasty, but it's very dangerous in the Florida Keys due to ciguatera...definitely not worth it. A group of Bahamian fisherman wound up in intensive care with mechanical ventilation for weeks due to eating 'cuda. The weird thing is the ciguatera is VERY localized...it can affect fish from one reef but not another. I think that barracuda is much safer in the Bahamas, for example. It's always a good idea to check with the locals regarding ciguatera issues.

They do have test kits now for ciguatera. When I proposed we start testing the Key West 'cuda to a fellow fisherman, an infectious disease doctor, he said, "Every test has false negatives. Do you think it's safe to screw a Cambodian [prostitute] without a condom just because she tests negative for STDs?" However crass the analogy, he does make a point.

·
641 Posts
In some places Like Venezuela they are the number Prize Fish to eat...
But here in Puerto Rico when we go spearfishing we use it for chuming
Because of the Ciguatera,,,,,never ever,eat any Cudas or big AJS From
the Caribbean,,,,95% they are Ciguato:eek:

·
17 Posts
Cuda is a great eating fish... period... flesh similar to snook actually. PROBLEM = ciguatera poisoning in the caribbean has been on the rise since the mid '80s.... don't risk it....

Cigua-Check is available from Capt. Harry's in Miami.... I've heard it is waiting for an FDA approval for Cigua toxin detection.... If this thing works.... I want to try it on cudda and amberjack for sure... both great fish to eat.... but highly risky (ciguatoxin)....

Has anyone tried the Ciguacheck? :)

·
804 Posts
Those big warsaws and Aj's can carry it as well.

To answer the question: i do eat barracuda.....barracuda fertilized corn.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts