360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Catching Covid has given me more idle time at home this week and I can't wait to get back to work e-mail, texting and video calls are not my thing. So I thought i would post up some observations about braided line. Before we get into that though it may be helpful to read the article in this following link, Colored Fishing Line Tips, Does Fishing Line Color Matter? | Sport Fishing Mag . That will answer most questions about color fastness and its physical effects on the various braids we use.

Spectra and Dyneema are the materials in braid that we are concerned with because colors can't be molecularly bonded to the materials and must be "coated" with colors. That's the reason we see bleeding and fading of braided lines. The reason one of my custom white rods has a red tint from the bleeding red line I had spooled up with when I got it. You may or may not have noticed that the more these lines bleed color or fade, they become more supple. This means that the line will flow off the spool more readily with less line slap. A quick fact check on this is possible if you still have original unused line that you have on a reel that has bled off color or faded. Do this by simply hold the line tight between thumb and forefinger and with the other hand thumb and forefinger pinch the line and pull it upwards to make it stand up. You will see that the new unused line tends to "stand" up where the line that has bled or faded tend to lean over due to being more supple.

This finally brings us to the part about casting and distance. This is important to us who fish with stick baits and poppers. No matter which major brand label of braid you use, the white braid solid or hollow will cast farther than any colored version of the same rated line while using the same set up and lure for the simple reason that the white colored braid is as supple as it is going to get. The down side of natural colored braid is that it is not as abrasion resistant as the same line in colored versions. I'm sure someone is saying "OK prove it". If you happen to have work roughened hands just slide colored braid over a rough skin portion then do the same with the white braid, you will find that the white tends to snag on your skin pulling fibers more so than the colored braid.

Most of us spend a lot of money, time and effort when it comes to topwater fishing. So we test our set up with various weights of lures to find the "sweet spot" for that particular set up for lure weight and type. Simple physics tell us that a 120 gr lure that casts like a bullet will go farther than one that casts like a spinning stick. So if you have a set up and know its capabilities casting a specific go to lure, go ahead and take a max cast keeping in mind wind direction and speed, then measure how far the cast was. Now comes the hard part, remove the amount of line equivalent to the cast distance plus 20 yards and replace it with the white braid of your choice. You guessed it, repeat your max cast again matching the environmental parameters of the first max cast.

I'm sure someone is going to say "that white braid will scare off leader shy fish for miles around", sounds reasonable but not true. The lure at the end of a 4-8 foot fluorocarbon/monofilament leader is what the fish is concerned with and if your leader material don't make them shy it doesn't matter what color your line is because the fish simply don't care. All of my stick bait/popper set ups have a top shot of white braid, connected LL to the leaders, blue is the color of most of my wind on leaders HC braid, I use #80 16 carrier and can insert leaders from #60 to #130 with no problems although it is more challenging with the heavier leader material.

Does Color Of Braided Fishing Line Matter? (crowsurvival.com)

What are your thoughts??

Catching Covid has given me more idle time at home this week and I can't wait to get back to work e-mail, texting and video calls are not my thing. So I thought i would post up some observations about braided line.
I hope you are feeling better馃ズ

Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I hope you are feeling better馃ズ
I am feeling great today! Pretty sure being vaccinated against Covid helped make it a mild illness, Saturday/Sunday fever was the worst part. Upside is that I have gone through my go to fishing set ups and tweeked everything I could. Even refined my storage of topwater lures for the various set ups, no I'm jonesing like a junkie to go fishing.

Kim, you cast poppers with Hollow? I have a reel for it and looking rods but I was thinking 1st 100 yard solid than back the rest with hollow as I was told solid cast further. What do your think? Hollow all the way?

Registered
Kim, you cast poppers with Hollow? I have a reel for it and looking rods but I was thinking 1st 100 yard solid than back the rest with hollow as I was told solid cast further. What do your think? Hollow all the way?
I believe you will lose the benefit of using hollow this way. The purpose of hollowcore is to have it finish in a loop and eliminate the need for a knot. I specifically use hollowcore on all of my casting setups, but have 65lb solid braid on 14ks for others to use. i have broken solid braid several times but have never snapped 60lb JB hollowcore.

So hollow don鈥檛 lose much distance (if any) I guess? I jig with them before but not cast, thoughts?

Registered
I have caught plenty of bft and yft jigging with metered braid & a 10ft 80lb fluorocarbon leader.
So hollow don鈥檛 lose much distance (if any) I guess? I jig with them before but not cast, thoughts?
It may but I鈥檓 sure the rod / lure present more of a variable

Discussion Starter · #8 ·
On my Stick and popping rods i use 80 HC with about 100 yards of white HC top shot. No doubt that a thin solid braid would have less air resistance but that equates to a couple yards most likely. One thing I do is test cast my rods with various lures to find the sweet spot and see how they cast. Doing this tests the total combination of rod, reel, line. lure and my proficiency.

Registered
Kim could you post a couple sets of data for different casts with colored and white braid? Logic makes sense, I'm curious what the magnitude of the difference is for different set-ups/conditions.

Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Kim could you post a couple sets of data for different casts with colored and white braid? Logic makes sense, I'm curious what the magnitude of the difference is for different set-ups/conditions.
That would be a lot of work, but I think if you do a search you might come up with a little more info.

Registered
I've used JB 65 HC for a while. I just got a spool of 16 strand 60lb Threadlocker that looks like it may be a better casting line. I am going to try it anyway.

Does anyone know of a good die that can be used on braid? I do think some of if not most of the metered braids keep their color very well. I would like to find a good die so I could mark every 50ft. That way I would not have to count the colors. Using thin and thick lines I can label the line so I can tell every time I see the marks how much line is out.

Think if you could mark a line and see 100, 150, 200, 250, 300 ft etc at a glance instead of counting colors.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts