360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone tune into the new show "swords"? I thought it was cool, that was a huge Bluefin at the end. Was a Deadly Catch fan, but was kind of getting tired of just crab coming over the rail.

·
358 Posts
Show looks interesting but I also saw them dump a perfectly good sword to rot for no good reason. I think Discovery is going to glamorize longliners in this show and not show the downsides of this industry (ie. tons of bycatch).

·
1,025 Posts
I will try to watch it. Sounds interesting.

·
326 Posts
I am looking forward to it but I hope they dont show just one side. Discovery seems to be pretty fair in the past. Let's hope they show every side. Im sure the whale wars/ hippy camp will nail them hard if they dont.

·
152 Posts
Well, At least I learned how to "carefully release" a Mako.:rolleyes:
Gaff them in the gills three times and poke them in the brain with a knife. Amazing how low there bycatch rate is too.;)

·
1,262 Posts
to be fair, I don;t think they poked it in the brain with a knife....or did I miss it? They were tapping it on the head to get it to calm down, which works very well. Perhaps I missed the knife to the brain......but the gaffs is the neck I did see and that was odd. Can they not keep those fsh as well?

·
418 Posts
Well, At least I learned how to "carefully release" a Mako.:rolleyes:
Gaff them in the gills three times and poke them in the brain with a knife. Amazing how low there bycatch rate is too.;)

I thought that was the way you release them....:confused:

·
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am sure that when the camera is not there, those makos get sliced and dumped. They don't want them wrecking their gear again. I was surprised to know that they have to fight and give drag on those bigger fish. The Bluefin took over 3 hours to get in..

·
1,541 Posts
Its a little bit different fighting those fish on a longline than your everyday rod and reel. The line might be 600lb test but when you have 30 miles of it out, its not all that much.

As for the mako, a knife was never put in its head. I wouldnt doubt it if it was kept and sold.

·
406 Posts
Im down for that :] lol

·
225 Posts
always cheering for the whalers

me too....they are a nutty bunch of hippys fighting for what they believe in for sure! As for the sword fishing...I got pissed off when they gaffed that mako in the gills too "we have to remove the hook to release it" is what the deck hand said I believe....they do waste quite a bit, and unlike the crab boys... I ENJOY seeing these longliners suffer some hardship, at least the crab boys keep only the legal crab and throw back the females and juvenilles

·
74 Posts
vito said:
always cheering for the whalers[/Q

my wife wont let me watch the whaler show any more cause i find myself yelling and cursing at those jerk--- s on that steve erwin boat...damn i hate those pri--s lol ok i am done now

·
1,579 Posts
those people on whale wars put themselves in more danger than anything else.

when the japanese went ahead and killed all those whales in front of them it just showed that you they cant do anything and pretty much all their actions to try to stop it are useless.

·
2,753 Posts
they tend to not show the killing part. the blood and the fighting fish. All we see is the fish being tallied onto the deck without much movement. that part bores me but the story line is great!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts