Discounted Stella FA's

Discussion in 'Reels' started by gimmedeal, Jul 29, 2008.

1. gimmedeal

gimmedeal Senior Member

I guess Shimano is letting dealers discount remaining Stella FA's. Anglerscenter.com is selling 20000, and 8000 for $100 off. Bet they go in a hurry. I know one did.

Fred

2. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

yeah i saw that. not bad deals esp from a store. they're getting ready for the new ones i'm sure.

3. papio

papio Senior Member

Almost invested on a 2000 last nite. All I had to do was hit confirm, but decided against it as the weight of reel is simply to heavy for me to enjoy.

4. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

Fred: Do you happen to have an Ocean Jigger you would like to sell at a steep discount to finance your new purchase????? I'm here to help you out, since I am getting ready to do my immitation of Kil on the next trip out.

Russ

5. hatidua

hatidua Senior Member

In addition to anglerscenter, tackledirect has had the 6000FA at 20% off ($471 I think) for a while now.

I've been very happy with the FA series of Stella's and might have picked up a few more in recent weeks :rolleyes:

6. gimmedeal

gimmedeal Senior Member

My thinking was that there won't be anymore FA's made when these are gone. Then your only option will be pay several hundred more for the new Stellas. I haven't had my hands on them yet, sure they're nice, but I don't think they're worth the price difference. The FA's have been outstanding reels and a guy ought to get another 8000.
    And yes Russ, I do have an Ocea Jigger. Nobody would listen to me when I said you don't need 2 speeds for jigging but recently some have been rediscovering this workhorse. I don't sell my reels but maybe we can work a trade.

Fred

7. d-a

d-a Senior Member

Fred

I think the stella's are one of the top reels for our purpose. I also think that Shimano is trying to price there selves out of the market:eek: . You guys had better buy all you can before the newer higher priced ones come out.

For me I will just use my little old penn slammers and abu garcia bait casters till some one feels sorry for me and gives me a good deal on a used stella. :D .

d-a

8. Gozz

Gozz Senior Member

Whats the difference between the new and old stella's.
    Is it just cosmetic.

9. papio

papio Senior Member

The new Stellas garranteeee you catch more fish and bigger ones too, haha.

10. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

Whats the difference between the new and old Stella's.

About $320.00:D or more depending where you purchase.

People like to see words like "New and Improved". That sells product. Shimano has had a winner with the Stella series. I believe that pressure from marketing and sales caused them to come out with a "New and Improved" version. Time will tell if these changes really are improvements.

There are some changes. It's up to you to decide rather the changes are worth over 3 bills. The older FA models are proven the world over. Very, very seldom do you hear someone bad mouth a FA Stella. The parts of the FA (if you ever need them) are easy to find in the USA. As many of the FA models they have sold over the years, the parts will continue to be easy to get if you ever wear something out. Shimano is service orientated company. They have sold hundreds of thousands of Stella's.

Personally, I think with the slight improvements, the price should have increased by about $75.00. Once you set the new price, you can't change it.
    Those who paid a grand for a new 08 will be very upset if they see the retail price drop a couple of hundred in a years time. I think they might have gotten a little to greedy on the new pricing. Volume will be less, but profits will be higher. If you are in the market for a Stella, I say jump on the bargain FA's right now. Treated and maintained carefully, it will last you a lifetime.

The new 08's will sell well at first. There are some of us who feel they need the newest model. Some will be "Jones Pressure", others just have to have the latest model. Once this layer of buyer's have made their purchase, I believe the sales will fall off because of the higher price.

11. Gozz

Gozz Senior Member

Thanks Mr Bill.
    I think you summed it up perfectly.
    A friend and I just bought a 1800 saragosa each and before they even arrived he called me and said he doesn't want the saragosa but a stella instead.
    He's still going to buy it of me and re sell it but as I cant afford a stella I'm going to stick with the saragosa.
    He didn't realize that there where new models out and thought the Fa was the current model,when I told him the new stalla 20000 was almost $1000 he almost fell over.
    I think he's going to buy the FA now.

12. Supafly

Supafly Senior Member

I just bought a 8000 for 450 and an 20000 for 550. I told my wife if I dont buy them now they will cost me 1000 in the future :D

13. crazyjigr

crazyjigr Senior Member

I bet they'll still have the US version which should remain cheaper than the Jap ones. The $1000.00 mark for me is too steep no mater what kind of reel.
    My guess is the US version will go up 10% max.

14. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

the main difference is a few models being up to 100g lighter than prior models, and the lip being better for casting. what does this mean? well, for most - not a whole lot. unless i had 1k to blow (I dont) I wouldn't rush to get a new one, unless you just want it which is fine as well.

shimano will ALWAYS sell lots of their product, due to their propaganda machine! :)

15. jureal

jureal Senior Member

I've been told that the US dollar price was based on the conversion rate being so poor for the Yen vrs dollars.

16. hatidua

hatidua Senior Member

I went and looked on plat.co.jp and the yen prices jumped just as much as the dollar prices did by percentage.

I had four Stella FA reels three months ago.

Then, I saw the spec's on the "08 Stella" (price jump, less drag, $275 spare spools, etc).

I now have nine Stella FA reels and six spare spools :D

17. gimmedeal

gimmedeal Senior Member

You're doing the right thing. We'd all like to have 9 of em.

Fred

18. hatidua

hatidua Senior Member

half of them are just sleeping in their original boxes until the first set dies....which hopefully won't be any time soon. I'm all about spares, be it rods, reels, guns, shoes, etc. The wife just can't seem to accommodate the idea of a spare spouse though..... :confused:

19. JerseyBrian

JerseyBrian Senior Member

I had four Stella FA reels three months ago.

I now have nine Stella FA reels and six spare spools :D

so that's where all of the Stella 8000FA's went! ;) :p

20. hatidua

hatidua Senior Member

so that's where all of the Stella 8000FA's went! ;) :p

That's the one model I've not bought any of this year. I've been adding on the 6/10/20 front a bit though. My new favorite configuration is the 6000 with 8000 spool: same amount of drag/capacity as the 8000 but with faster retrieve ratio.