disadvantages of wire assist hooks?

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by nxtbgctch, Apr 6, 2009.

1. nxtbgctch

nxtbgctch Senior Member

I have been making my own wire rigged assist hooks. So far I havent been able to see a down side. Is there any? I dont think the fish mind because they are actually much smaller in diameter compared to a lot of the thick braid assist rigs. Am I missing something?

2. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

How many Yellowfin tuna have they caught?

3. nxtbgctch

nxtbgctch Senior Member

To be honest Ive never caught a yellowfin on a jig so they have the same track record. I know some foks say they can produce yellowfins on jigs but Ill be hard pressed to push on with a jig when I have confidence in chunking, live bait, poppers.

4. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

Wire doesn't bother some fish, others it will stop the bite.

5. papio

papio Senior Member

I have no problem catching Ahifin at night using single strand wire leader. But have never used wire assist hook. I don't use wire for Ahi - only when toothy critters are in the area and have taken several Ahi with wire. Yellowfins cannot see the single strand at night.

6. Aggie82Josh

Aggie82Josh Senior Member

I dont think he's talking about wire leaders but, using wire for the assist hook instead of braid or kevlar? If the wire is an issure just put it inside some hollow braid/kevlar and problem solved.

7. HWK

HWK Senior Member

If I read this correctly he's asking about wire assist hooks, not about wire leaders to the jig. I like kevlar over wire, but it's all personal preference.

8. papio

papio Senior Member

Yes the issue is if fish can see wire assist hook. Why use wire on assist hooks when most cutoffs are at the leader. Kevlar will suffice. The point here is tuna don't see wire as well at night than in day time, so, at night you will do just fine using wire assist hook or wire leader. My experience I see no disadvantage there, day light hours is a different story.

9. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

The use of wire for assist hooks is differnt from wire leader for jig.
    Fish tend to regard hooks and jig as one object unless hooks is too far away from jigs. So it really doesn't matter whether you use Kevlar or thin wire line to make assist hooks as long as the line is not too long. Think about using barrel swivel and long single hook and connecting split ring. Fish hit them.

However, I don't see any advantage of using wire line for assist hooks except for targeting wahoo or king mackerel as I prefer free moving soft lines for assist hooks as it can give more action to assist hooks.