360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering what the main difference is between the Ocea Jiggers and the Trinidads. It seems like the OJ is a much stronger reel than the trini, but they look similar. Can i upgrade the drag washers on my Trinidad 40 and compete with the Ocea Jiggers or are they just two totally different reels as far as componets?

G

·
both drags are fine, you can always put carbontex if you prefer. i've got both reels, and theyre quite similar...

·
4,723 Posts
Ocea Jigger (OJ) 4000/5000/4000P/5000P have longer handle shaft and T-bar power handle grip as compared the their Trinidad counterparts. OJ also employ a spool stop and Trinidad has a clicker instead. The drags on the Trinidad TN40N, TN40, and TN50 are the same at the OJ 4000/5000/4000P/5000P. Ocea Jigger 4000P/5000P are 4.1:1 gear ratio, so you can have lower gear ratio ideal for jigging purposes. Trinidad TN40N, TN40, and TN50 are 4.9:1 gear ratio reels.

If you already own a TN40, there's no need to get a OJ equivalent. Your stock drags provide you with 33 lbs (15 Kg) max drag, the same as OJ 4000/5000/4000P/5000P, so there's no need to upgrade:

Trinidad specs:
Shimano USA - Trinidad

OJ specs:
Shimano Japan - Ocea Jigger

If you want the long handle with t-bar, APS has it in stock right now for $77, which I think is worth it since you get both longer shaft AND t-bar. It was a main feature for me when I got my OJ 5000P:
Angler's Pro Shop - OJ T-Bar Handle

·
5,457 Posts
Clicker and spool lock are the major differences. The P(gunsmoke) OJ's have a lower gear ratio. The standard (gold) OJ's have the same ratios as the trini's

d-a

·
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info. I wasn't sure if the trinidad needed any upgrades or not. It's been a great reel and may change to the carbontex down the road.

·
5,457 Posts
Thanks for the info. I wasn't sure if the trinidad needed any upgrades or not. It's been a great reel and may change to the carbontex down the road.

I personally I dont like the stock Shimano drags. There effective, but very dirty. I used my OJ 2 days and the stock drags produced a lot of soot.

d-a

G

·
yeah im going to get a new handle for my trinidad, but i dont consider than really a necessary upgrade for everyone. the ball handle is too small and uncomfortable for me, but some guys dont mind it.

i agree the clicker on the trinidad is a 'wasted' feature since i dont use it, but it doesnt keep me up at night. i've used the spool lock once on a fish sitting at the gaff that was pretty beat, but other than that and busting yourself off a wreck i dont use it.

you'll be happy with either.

doug how much were the replacement washers?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts