Difference between Ocea Jigger and Trinidad

Discussion in 'Reels' started by anglerinshore, Feb 28, 2009.

1. anglerinshore

anglerinshore Member

Just wondering what the main difference is between the Ocea Jiggers and the Trinidads. It seems like the OJ is a much stronger reel than the trini, but they look similar. Can i upgrade the drag washers on my Trinidad 40 and compete with the Ocea Jiggers or are they just two totally different reels as far as componets?

2. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

both drags are fine, you can always put carbontex if you prefer. i've got both reels, and theyre quite similar...

3. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

Ocea Jigger (OJ) 4000/5000/4000P/5000P have longer handle shaft and T-bar power handle grip as compared the their Trinidad counterparts. OJ also employ a spool stop and Trinidad has a clicker instead. The drags on the Trinidad TN40N, TN40, and TN50 are the same at the OJ 4000/5000/4000P/5000P. Ocea Jigger 4000P/5000P are 4.1:1 gear ratio, so you can have lower gear ratio ideal for jigging purposes. Trinidad TN40N, TN40, and TN50 are 4.9:1 gear ratio reels.

If you already own a TN40, there's no need to get a OJ equivalent. Your stock drags provide you with 33 lbs (15 Kg) max drag, the same as OJ 4000/5000/4000P/5000P, so there's no need to upgrade:

Trinidad specs:
    Shimano USA - Trinidad

OJ specs:
    Shimano Japan - Ocea Jigger

If you want the long handle with t-bar, APS has it in stock right now for $77, which I think is worth it since you get both longer shaft AND t-bar. It was a main feature for me when I got my OJ 5000P:
    Angler's Pro Shop - OJ T-Bar Handle

4. d-a

d-a Senior Member

Clicker and spool lock are the major differences. The P(gunsmoke) OJ's have a lower gear ratio. The standard (gold) OJ's have the same ratios as the trini's

d-a

5. anglerinshore

anglerinshore Member

Thanks for the info. I wasn't sure if the trinidad needed any upgrades or not. It's been a great reel and may change to the carbontex down the road.

6. d-a

d-a Senior Member

Thanks for the info. I wasn't sure if the trinidad needed any upgrades or not. It's been a great reel and may change to the carbontex down the road.

I personally I dont like the stock Shimano drags. There effective, but very dirty. I used my OJ 2 days and the stock drags produced a lot of soot.

d-a

7. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

yeah im going to get a new handle for my trinidad, but i dont consider than really a necessary upgrade for everyone. the ball handle is too small and uncomfortable for me, but some guys dont mind it.

i agree the clicker on the trinidad is a 'wasted' feature since i dont use it, but it doesnt keep me up at night. i've used the spool lock once on a fish sitting at the gaff that was pretty beat, but other than that and busting yourself off a wreck i dont use it.

you'll be happy with either.

doug how much were the replacement washers?

8. ichibahn

ichibahn ** Pak Lurah **

Bret,
    It cost $26 for carbontex drag washer.

9. anglerinshore

anglerinshore Member

Freddy, It's Matt from the ASWSC. Is it difficult to change out to the carbontex washers on a conventional reels?

10. ichibahn

ichibahn ** Pak Lurah **