Diawa Z 6500 Dogfight & Expedition

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by shooter75, Mar 25, 2009.

1. shooter75

shooter75 Member

Does anyone know the difference between the Dogfight and Expedition other than gear ratio? That's all I can see. Any info would be great.

Thanks
    Eric

2. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

there is no difference except gear ratio and color.

3. mike garone

mike garone Well-Known Member

dogfight has a higher gear ratio than the expedition.

4. shooter75

shooter75 Member

Would the Dogfight be considered a specialized reel just for popping due to its high gear ratio? And would the Expedition be more of an all around reel?

5. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

Yup, the DF is good for working top water lures like poppers and stickbaits due to it's high gear ratio, it's not really suitable for jigging. The EXP is designed for jigging due to lower gear ratio, but you can definitely use it for popping and working subsurface lures, just crank a bit faster on the retrieve.

Why not get 2008 Stellas instead as Daiwa are probably working on next gen Saltigas?

6. shooter75

shooter75 Member

Oh OK thats what I thought. I have actually been looking at the Stellas in comparison to the Saltigas. How many more improvements do you think that the next gen Saltigas are going to have in comparison to the older gen?

7. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

I don't know anything about next gen Saltigas, but I would imagine they would have out-do the new 08 stellas in atleast a few ways. I would get the 08 stellas right now if I were you as deals can be had on ebay on them.

8. shooter75

shooter75 Member

Which model Stella is the Z 6500 most similar too in terms of size?

9. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

20kSW - Expedition
    18kSW - DF

10. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

the stella 20k and 18k are considerably larger than the DF and EXP. the 6000-6500 size saltigas are are in between the 10k and 20k size. drag wise the same with less line capacity.

11. shooter75

shooter75 Member

I did notice a significant difference in line capacity between these two reels! But i guess Daiwa sells a high capacity spool for the Satigas I believe.

12. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

I did notice a significant difference in line capacity between these two reels! But i guess Daiwa sells a high capacity spool for the Satigas I believe.

I believe the 6500 spools are the high capacity spools. I'm not trying to defend shimano here, but stellas are better reels at the moment and make sense if you're looking to do what you originally posted about... JMO

13. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

there is only a small amount of difference between the 6000 and the 6500 size spools. (the 6500 holds exactly 300 yds of 100 lb tuf line xp). there is a significant amount of difference in line capacity between the 20k and the 6500.